ADVERTISEMENT

WLAX

UR WLAX chosen Preseason favorites.Tall task with draw control expert Queally and scorer Egizi having graduated.

2019 Atlantic 10 Preseason Poll

1. Richmond
, 95 (5)
2. Massachusetts, 94 (5)
3. Saint Joseph's, 73
4. Davidson, 63
5. George Mason, 62
6. VCU, 55
7. George Washington, 34
8. La Salle, 31
9. Duquesne, 28
10. St. Bonaventure, 15

• Standing tall with Mia Castagnero, Spiders women's lacrosse gearing up to defend A-10 title

University of Richmond senior Mia Castagnero, about five yards in front of the lacrosse net, moved through a labyrinth of Saint Joseph’s defenders Friday afternoon at Robins Stadium. Trying to get her out of a danger zone, the Hawks repeatedly bumped Castagnero low. They couldn’t do much to prevent a high pass.

Castagnero, who is 5-foot-10, extended her stick skyward, received a pass up there, then turned and scored one of her five goals in the Spiders’ 21-11 victory. Height helps.

“It definitely has its advantages, being able to grab some of the tall passes,” said Castagnero, a resident of Apex, N.C. “They might not be able to reach like I can reach, but they usually have a little quicker footwork and are able to keep up with me, though.”

With 55 seconds remaining in Friday’s game, Castagnero demonstrated she can also damage defenses without the assistance of her height. From 10 yards, she wound up and launched a shot that scored, punctuating the conclusion of the regular season for the Spiders (14-3, 7-2 A-10).

A strong push from Castagnero, one of the team’s top scorers, helped the Spiders at abut this time last year, too. During the A-10 tournament at Robins Stadium, she scored four times in a 12-11 overtime victory over Massachusetts in the championship game. Castagnero followed that with three goals in 24-18 loss to Northwestern in a first-round NCAA tournament game played at Towson.

Castagnero missed about one-and-half seasons of her UR career because she broke her left foot twice. Each of those non-contact injuries required surgery. Evidently, she is clearly recovered as the third–seeded Spiders start their conference title defense against sixth–seeded Duquesne Thursday at 4 p.m., at George Mason in the A-10 tournament quarterfinals. That follows the 1 p.m. quarterfinal involving No. 4 Saint Joseph's and No. 5 VCU (7-9, 4-5 A-10).

Semifinals will be played Friday, with the championship game scheduled for Sunday at noon.

“We’re definitely going into the A-10 tournament with a lot of confidence, but knowing that a lot of people are out to take the title from us,” said Castagnero.

Allison Kwolek, a William & Mary grad in her seventh season as UR’s coach, said she believes last year’s postseason success is valuable “because we have the experience. We’ve been in this situation before, and I think [the Spiders] know what it’s going to look like now.”

On Feb. 21, the Spiders lost 19-5 to No. 12 Virginia. Since, UR was defeated twice, at George Mason in overtime (9-8) and at Massachusetts, the top seed in the league tournament, in overtime (13-12).

“I feel like the two losses that we had this season in A-10 play were just kind of upsets that shouldn’t have happened. A couple of whoopsies,” said senior Tatiana Monds. “So it’s really nice that we’re going to come back and have the chance to defend our title, and show the A-10 that last year wasn’t a mistake.

“We did this, and we’re going to do it again.”

Before the Spiders won the 2018 A-10 championship, Massachusetts captured the previous nine league titles. UMass (14-3, 9-0 A-10) is this year's regular-season winner and top seed, followed by No. 2 George Mason (11-6, 7-2 A-10).

win the first then you meet GMU on their home field, tough draw but we seem to be playing well now, so go get it

Reactions: ChoppinBroccoli
OT,Baby.Down by as many as 6 goals in 2nd half.

18-18.

Golden goal will take it.Enormous comeback by Spiders.

Last edited:
Interesting handicap from the Get Go:

UMass was given the ball to start the game as 3 yellow cards were issued to Richmond pre-game - both non-releasable penalties-for using”illegal” sticks.

No wonder UMASS got off to an immediate 3 goal lead.

26:26
GOAL by UMASS

UR
UMASS

——-
27:27
GOAL by UMASS

UR
UMASS

——-
29:09
GOAL by UMASS

UR
UMASS

Anyone keep track of the number of UMass fouls?

Last edited:
UR women's lacrosse executes championship-level rally to capture second straight A-10 title

Stats:

https://gomason.com/sidearmstats/wlax/summary?DB_OEM_ID=31600

5cc627c793d9a.image.jpg

Spiders sophomore attack Sam Geiersbach scored the winning goal in overtime.

5cc627c76fbb5.image.jpg

Mia Castagnero’s six goals led the Spiders in the A-10 championship win over UMass Sunday at George Mason. SHELBY LUM/TIMES-DISPATCH▲

5cc627c7d85bc.image.jpg

Richmond women’s lacrosse coach Allison Kwolek DANIEL SANGJIB MIN/TIMES-DISPATCH▲

By JOHN O’CONNOR Richmond Times-Dispatch

2 hrs ago

Down 14-8 in the second half, the third-seeded University of Richmond women’s lacrosse team needed a championship-level rally in the Atlantic 10 Conference title game against top-seeded Massachusetts on Sunday afternoon at George Mason.

The Spiders produced one. They capped a comeback in regulation by scoring the tying goal with four seconds remaining, and then won 19-18 in overtime to defend their league championship.

“I kept telling the team, ‘We can still do this. We can do it,’” said Allison Kwolek, in her seventh season as UR’s coach. “[The Spiders scored] one to bring it to within three, and the next one to bring in within two, and I think they could feel, ‘We can do this. We can definitely do this.’

"I was so impressed. The belief was there."

Richmond (17-3) did not gain its first lead of the day until sophomore attack Sam Geiersbach scored in overtime, capping a 5-0 Spiders' run. Junior attack Madison Ostrick scored with four seconds left in regulation to force OT. That came after UR caused a turnover and had 20 seconds to score the tying goal.

The Spiders, meeting UMass (15-4) for the sixth straight year in the A-10 title game, secured the league's automatic bid to the 28-team NCAA tournament. The field will be announced at 9 p.m. next Sunday.

Before UR won the 2018 A-10 championship by beating UMass 12-11 in OT at Robins Stadium, UMass captured nine consecutive league titles.

"The motivating factor was that we knew what it felt like to win. That's really important, to know that feeling," said Kwolek. "[Last year's title] was definitely a factor, for sure."

Senior attack Mia Castagnero led UR with six goals, and senior attack Marissa Brown scored four times and added four assists.

Richmond trailed 14-8 with 27:17 remaining primarily because it struggled with draw control, the equivalent of a face-off in the men's game. UMass dominated 30-8 on draw controls.

"We just needed to get possessions. That was obviously the most difficult thing for us," said Kwolek, a William & Mary graduate. "Their draw person was phenomenal and we knew that going into the game. We knew that was going to be a challenge."

The Spiders countered with defensive stops, minimizing the number of midfield draw controls. Richmond caused 22 turnovers and accelerated offensively to catch UMass.

"[UR's players] made this change a few weeks ago ... they really started to move the ball much faster on the attacking end," Kwolek said. "They saw how that was impacting things and they were able to put up a lot of points, which continued to drive us forward."

UMass beat Richmond 13-12 in overtime in the regular-season meeting, played April 14 in Amherst, Mass.

The Spiders will make their fifth appearance in the NCAA tournament. They qualified in 2005, 2006 and 2007 before winning the past two A-10 championships. UR fell to Northwestern 24-18 in Towson, Md., in the first round of the 2018 tournament and is 0-4 in the NCAAs.

Last edited:
5cc7575284747.image.jpg

After recovering from torn ACL, Spider Sam Geiersbach netted title-winning shot of recompense

JOHN O'CONNOR·2 hours ago

Sam Geiersbach had just completed an interview at Robins Stadium on Monday afternoon. Passing by was Grant Golden, the University of Richmond's 6-foot-10, 265-pound basketball forward. With hands raised, Golden repeatedly bent at the waist, bowing to Geiersbach in an amusing expression of adoration.

Geiersbach (GUY-ers-back), who scored UR's golden goal in overtime of Sunday's 19-18 A-10 lacrosse championship-game elimination of top-seeded Massachusetts, should get accustomed to this treatment. She will forever be recalled as the golden girl who netted the Spiders (17-3) a 2019 league title.

Geiersbach's back story makes Sunday's game-ending score a shot of recompense. She was the 2017 A-10 rookie of the year, an athletic offensive force who would perhaps drive the 2018 Spiders to their first A-10 championship since 2007.

Before the start of last season, Geiersbach tore the ACL in her left knee. She missed the year Richmond captured the A-10 championship and advanced to the NCAA tournament.

UR has now won back-to-back titles, the latest with Geiersbach as an all-A-10 redshirt sophomore attack. The NCAA tournament bracket will be revealed Sunday night.

"A lot of people thought that maybe last year was a fluke, so people start to forget about us," Geiersbach said. "But I believe that no one's going to be forgetting about us anytime soon."

Geiersbach grew up on New York's Long Island, where lacrosse is king and queen. She recalls handling a stick while in kindergarten, or maybe it was first grade.

Little girls who play lacrosse in the sport's hotbeds dream of competing in the NCAA tournament. Geiersbach was recovering from the torn ACL when UR made last May's trip.

"I pretty much was, I'd like to say like a sideline coach," Geiersbach said. "Just keeping that energy up at all times."

Geiersbach credits her teammates for returning the favor, supplying motivation through her long rehabilitation. But the individual who she said helped her "a ton" was her sister, Jessica Geiersbach. Jessica played lacrosse at Hofstra, but not much of it. She twice tore the same ACL while a member of that program.

"She knows exactly what I was going through," Sam said. "She told me it wasn't going to be easy, but she knew it was like a day-by-day kind of process."

Attending Sunday's A-10 championship game was Jessica, one of the first fans out of the stands at GMU and on the sideline to hug her sister, Richmond's Golden Girl. On Monday, Jessica posted on social media: "You guys see all the clutch plays and game winners, but what you don't see is all the work that this girl has put in and all the struggles she has overcome in the past couple years and that is what makes me so unbelievably proud to call this champ my sis ...also that I get to vicariously live through her."

Sam regards Jessica as a role model, and that started when Sam first played lacrosse. She wanted to try it because Jessica was involved.

"I thank my sister for that," Sam said.

The Spiders will travel to Princeton, N.J., for the first round of the 2019 NCAA Women's Lacrosse Championships to take on No. 11 Loyola (Md.).

The Spiders and Greyhounds will face off on Friday, May 10, at a time TBA, with the winner advancing to face the winner of the first round game between No. 7 seed and host Princeton and the winner of the play-in game between Fairfield and Wagner.

Loyola schedule:

https://loyolagreyhounds.com/schedule.aspx?path=wlax

Last edited:
Reactions: urfan1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT