• George Washington

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Davidson

• Lasalle

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Guys... a legit question...I think 😀 The Bonnies have their 5 starters back but no proven bench. I know that our bench is still a little unproven but seem to have a little more experience than the Bonnies bench. Do you guys think that should be taken into account bc it seems the writers or "experts" certainly haven't? I personally think we have better talent across the board but their starting 5 are good for sure. I don't think you can win a chip without a strong supporting cast...thoughts?

SBU won the conference last year with very little depth. they played their starters a ton and that worked in a shortened season in which they only played 21 games including post season.

in a normal year I think depth plays a bigger factor and we seem to have an advantage there.

SBU won the conference last year with very little depth. they played their starters a ton and that worked in a shortened season in which they only played 21 games including post season.

in a normal year I think depth plays a bigger factor and we seem to have an advantage there.
Agreed…very good points about last season. I think a normal season will def play a role if your starters are playing a majority of the minutes by the end, your team is beat down physically.

Guys... a legit question...I think 😀 The Bonnies have their 5 starters back but no proven bench. I know that our bench is still a little unproven but seem to have a little more experience than the Bonnies bench. Do you guys think that should be taken into account bc it seems the writers or "experts" certainly haven't? I personally think we have better talent across the board but their starting 5 are good for sure. I don't think you can win a chip without a strong supporting cast...thoughts?
St Bona proved last year you can win without a bench. The key would be injuries. If they lose someone for multiple games, lack of a bench could hurt them. If they stay injury-free, their guys can play a lot of minutes, so I think they would be fine without a bench.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
If we don't blow that game at the end at home against them last year, who knows how things play out. That was a real turning point. They are a very good team, but I agree that we clearly have more top-to-bottom talent and it isn't particularly close. But Schmidt is the best coach in the league and that's not particularly close, either.

As long as Mooney is the coach you can forget how good we look on paper. He'll find a way to mess it up.
that's the spirit. and a happy Monday to you.
giphy.gif

Reactions: wr70beh and plydogg
Schmidt has a better winning percentage than Mooney, more NCAA tourney births and he plays in a middle of the no where place in upstate New York with far less resources than we commit to our program. Plus their uniforms make them appear to be UPS drivers.

Just have to be impressed with what Schmidt does up there. That program could easily be a LaSalle, instead he turned it into one of the best programs in the league.

All that said, we have more depth and talent than they do. This will be a good test on how much really great coaching gives a team.

Schmidt has a better winning percentage than Mooney, more NCAA tourney births and he plays in a middle of the no where place in upstate New York with far less resources than we commit to our program. Plus their uniforms make them appear to be UPS drivers.

Just have to be impressed with what Schmidt does up there. That program could easily be a LaSalle, instead he turned it into one of the best programs in the league.

All that said, we have more depth and talent than they do. This will be a good test on how much really great coaching gives a team.
All you need to do is go back about a decade to the time before Schmidt arrived. The Bonnies were the program everyone regularly talked about ejecting from the league.

He’s a good coach.

Reactions: urfan1
All you need to do is go back about a decade to the time before Schmidt arrived. The Bonnies were the program everyone regularly talked about ejecting from the league.

He’s a good coach.
Yes, the Solomon years were horrible. But the 7 seasons before that they were where we have been the last decade. A lot of ranked 75-95 and 2-4 games above .500. Good but not quite good enough to matter.

Yes, the Solomon years were horrible. But the 7 seasons before that they were where we have been the last decade. A lot of ranked 75-95 and 2-4 games above .500. Good but not quite good enough to matter.
Was that when they recruited the welders?

Mooney has a winning record against Schmidt.

but clearly head to head means nothing at U of R. If it did we’d care about Mooney’s embarrassing record vs rival VCU. I don’t think a coach in any high profile sport has gotten to coach as many games Vs. their main rival & have as poor a win % as Mooney.

we setting some records. Oldest team in college bball this year, & perhaps history. And that Mooney thing. I feel quite confident in both but would love to get that Elias dude on it to confirm. Talking points! The oldest is kinda cool tho.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
St Bona proved last year you can win without a bench. The key would be injuries. If they lose someone for multiple games, lack of a bench could hurt them. If they stay injury-free, their guys can play a lot of minutes, so I think they would be fine without a bench.
Yes they certainly did 4700. I mean 20 minutes bench out of 200 is just ridiculously low. Just getting into my CBB prep and reading they have two quality transfers from P6 schools and two JUCO's who from my research all four appear ready to play from day 1. Forget the four frosh coming aboard. We might not see any of the bench players from last year get any minutes. Hate to say it but if needed they appear to have a ready made good bench.

Jersey, this is another area Mooney does not seem to want to use. Transfers like this very important to midmajors now. With the new rules, 1st year transfers eligible immediately. Programs that aspire to make the tourney plug theses guys in on years when they have an obvious hole. This year we had a an extra full roster but past years we have had obvious gaps and Mooney was not able to sell to recruits.

23, I agree completely. And just looking at more info, below is Bonny's call it scrimmage boxscore against a lowly DIII opponent. No competition but still those two transfers I mentioned are Coulibaly (Pitt) who had a productive 11 minutes and Adams (WF) who I read his previous coach begged not to transfer though got no minutes for WF last season.

And the one JUCO named Brown was everything in the scrimmage the report I read stated, one of those guys who can score. The other JUCO was Durosinmi who appears to be an adequate defensive/shot blocker big man sub Schmidt didn't have last season. And a couple frosh got some good minutes though I don't know where that leads to or even if they would be needed.

What I found interesting is not one bench player from last year's team played in the scrimmage. Are they even still on the team? Says to me Schmidt knew what he had to do to attempt to get better and he did it. How it works out, who knows? Also as you can see from the box Lofton and Adaway didn't participate.

I think after last season everyone but the starters left the team at St Bona.

Correct, the only returning players are their five starters. Very unique situation. I've never heard of that happening at the D1 level.

if SBU's 5 very good starters are back and they replaced a weak bench with talented ready-to-play transfers and freshmen, then is appears their consensus #1 conference ranking is very reasonable.

Said along, we return more and better talent than St. Bonnies. The preseason rankings I think are more a reflection of what happened last year vs. what the product will be this year. Let them be number 1 though, that target on your back will be awfully big.

Do the Bonnies have any injuries all of sudden? I don't see who, but a couple may miss at least a game?

Mooney's coaching job this season vs that of Schmidt is criminal.

Our program DNA is comfort and pretty and stats compilation.

Not defense, toughness or winning.

And a couple years ago Hardt was actually talking openly about evaluating Mooney if I recall. Now he is just sleeping in his office apparently.

We are all unwilling characters in the unintentional comedy "Weekend at Hardt's, Season 4" in which a decreased athletic director continues to guide programs into the ground.

Reactions: spider23
And a couple years ago Hardt was actually talking openly about evaluating Mooney if I recall. Now he is just sleeping in his office apparently.

but was he? Remember when Mooney got the 2 year extension. And that was his 2nd extension off a TEN year deal. With zero ncaa bids. & Mooney said it was pretty simple. Literally that was his quote.

I guess a little easier to reconcile when our AD is a simpleton.

but was he? Remember when Mooney got the 2 year extension. And that was his 2nd extension off a TEN year deal. With zero ncaa bids. & Mooney said it was pretty simple. Literally that was his quote.

No need for changes. New doners and money flowing in.

Quealy said renew his contract

Reactions: spider23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT