ADVERTISEMENT

What does Khwan’s departure mean for our bb program?

UR80sfan

Star
Jan 28, 2018
I am finally able to think clearly after coming out of my Khwan leaving depression and have the following insights.
  1. I think our 4 returning starters are outstanding players and they may be better and the top 4 starters at any team in the A10. In addition, a couple of our starters might finish their Richmond career’s as some of the best players we have ever had.

2. We are adding Sal Koureissi who is one of the highest rated recruits to come to U of R. As someone mentioned on another post, if he starts it might be the 1st time in history of our program we have 5 3 star recruits starting at the same time. We also have these guys for 2 more years.

3. We have 2 players that played a lot of minutes last year returning with JJ and Cayo. Cayo has the potential to be a very good player and could also start.

4. A strong NCAA basketball team only need 8 players to compete effectively and I have mentioned 7 above.

5. I think our recruiting has improved a lot in the past couple years.. We have had 2 good recruiting classes in a row and hopefully the new class coming in will be strong.

6. All we need if a couple of the redshirts or new recruits to contribute and we will be in good shape.

7. Does Khwan leaving hurt the team? Absolutely, but I don’t think Khwan would have been starting the 2nd half of the season and staying another year would not have helped his chances of going pro. Every year we typically loose good players. The year before we lost the A10 player of the year and a 3rd team A10 player, which was a much bigger blow than losing a terrific 6th man.

8. Is Khwan leaving an indication the team is in chaos? No, UVA had 3 people transfer either last year or the year before and they seemed to do ok. It is just a sign of the times.

9. Is everyone on his board disappointed with how the team has done the last 7 years? Yup

10. Do we have the potential to be a very good team over the next 2 years and potentially make the NCAA? I think the answer is yes, even if we don’t get Bryce and other strong transfer this year. If we do get them it is a slam dunk, which hopefully Kwan can teach a couple of his teammates how to do before he leaves.
To quote Bluto from Animal House “Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Go Spiders!

I am finally able to think clearly after coming out of my Khwan leaving depression and have the following insights.
  1. I think our 4 returning starters are outstanding players and they may be better and the top 4 starters at any team in the A10. In addition, a couple of our starters might finish their Richmond career’s as some of the best players we have ever had.

2. We are adding Sal Koureissi who is one of the highest rated recruits to come to U of R. As someone mentioned on another post, if he starts it might be the 1st time in history of our program we have 5 3 star recruits starting at the same time. We also have these guys for 2 more years.

3. We have 2 players that played a lot of minutes last year returning with JJ and Cayo. Cayo has the potential to be a very good player and could also start.

4. A strong NCAA basketball team only need 8 players to compete effectively and I have mentioned 7 above.

5. I think our recruiting has improved a lot in the past couple years.. We have had 2 good recruiting classes in a row and hopefully the new class coming in will be strong.

6. All we need if a couple of the redshirts or new recruits to contribute and we will be in good shape.

7. Does Khwan leaving hurt the team? Absolutely, but I don’t think Khwan would have been starting the 2nd half of the season and staying another year would not have helped his chances of going pro. Every year we typically loose good players. The year before we lost the A10 player of the year and a 3rd team A10 player, which was a much bigger blow than losing a terrific 6th man.

8. Is Khwan leaving an indication the team is in chaos? No, UVA had 3 people transfer either last year or the year before and they seemed to do ok. It is just a sign of the times.

9. Is everyone on his board disappointed with how the team has done the last 7 years? Yup

10. Do we have the potential to be a very good team over the next 2 years and potentially make the NCAA? I think the answer is yes, even if we don’t get Bryce and other strong transfer this year. If we do get them it is a slam dunk, which hopefully Kwan can teach a couple of his teammates how to do before he leaves.
To quote Bluto from Animal House “Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Go Spiders!
That was the Japanese that bombed Pearl Harbor. lol.Regardless, I like the assessments you shared. I have to concur with you.

I am going to wait for the last few spots on our roster to be filled before trying to figure out what Khwan's departure means. The only thing I can say with some confidence is that we will be taller next year, and unless Mooney pulls in a really good grad transfer, less experienced.

Reactions: SpiderK and plydogg
UR80sfan,
Thanks for your positive outlook! Makes me forget that 6 of the 7 guys you list (minus the new recruit) finished 12-20. I agree with fan2011 that any remaining recruits/transfers are going to determine our results next year.

Reactions: plydogg
Khwan wouldn't have been starting the second half of his senior year? Utter nonsense. You make some good points otherwise, but that one is fallacy.

The team will go as far as its defense takes it. The defense has been bad for several years and needs to figure something out and fast or else not a lot will change.

I don't think it's that bad. Hate to see him go but, I don't think he was the key to us having an NCAA bid next year (and that's the goal.........right) If we can find a good 2 guard, with more offense skills, we might even be better

Reactions: MooreHall73
That was the Japanese that bombed Pearl Harbor. lol.Regardless, I like the assessments you shared. I have to concur with you.

The quote from the movie is Germans! They intentionally wrote the line incorrectly for comedic effect.

Reactions: spiders13
Khwan leaving forces Mooney’s hand to trot out a bigger lineup.

Is our starting 5:
Gilyard
Buck
Sherod
Cayo (or a grad transfer)
Grant

Bench:
JJ
TBD

We’re going to take a lot of lumps again next year but I can see us being good the year after depending on how the RS freshmen are.

Is our starting 5:
Gilyard
Buck
Sherod
Grant

Bench:
JJ
TBD

We’re going to take a lot of lumps again next year but I can see us being good the year after depending on how the RS freshmen are.
Anyone want to guess the last time we had a starting PG/SG combo where either was taller than 6’0”? Go back to 2012-13. (I’m taking a slight liberty that Trey Davis really didn’t play as a 2 but started much of 15-16.

Losing Khwan doesn’t make us better but there’s a plausible argument that we could end up better on D ultimately. I think we’ve become accustomed to having a diminutive backcourt. I don’t think it’s coincidental that our defensive struggles have to a degree mirrored the height slide. We can get away with one small guard but two seems to really hurt our defensive system.

Mooney should only recruit sub-6-foot guards. We could field a whole roster of them, then trade a few off for interior help once they've proven they can play. It's the perfect solution.

Is our starting 5:
Gilyard
Buck
Sherod
Grant

Bench:
JJ
TBD

Then why is Mooney still here? Good Grief

I think Mooney is Dean Wormer and we are all on Triple Secret Probation.

When I think of Mooney, really and honestly I think of Groundhog Day. Same stuff over and over and over. I know there is portion of this board that thinks posters like me are "Ground Hog Day". I challenge you to have Mooney change and then I will lay off and do so on this board as well. You are up. Tell Mooney to go and land a couple of impact recruits or grad transfers for this year and I will lay off. You are on the clock.

Tick

Tock.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Welcome back VT. I know many want to "ignore" you on this board. If they were being truthful, they would put you on "priority ". Though your message is colored by your youthful exuberance and unfiltered, it is the truth when it comes to our uninspiring leader.

Freedom of speech is a thing! Seems like the board administrators have forgotten about that. Oh that's right I forgot this board is a Mooney-dictatorship.

Me too whampas, me too. If not for this board, I honestly would have little connection. And the powers that be seem to want to white out the one's advocating change. So it will be a nice community of mediocrity left.

Freedom of speech is a thing! Seems like the board administrators have forgotten about that. Oh that's right I forgot this board is a Mooney-dictatorship.

Why do people think the 1st amendment gives them the right to say whatever they want, whenever they want, wherever they want, with no repercussions? This has come up many times on the board.

Why do people think the 1st amendment gives them the right to say whatever they want, whenever they want, wherever they want, with no repercussions? This has come up many times on the board.
Because it is our right to say whatever we want. I'm sorry you don't agree with what I say.

Back to the thread. We got way worse and will continue our path to obscurity under Mooney. I become less interested in our basketball program daily.
Yet, you are posting on a message board a month after our season ended.

Yet, you are posting on a message board a month after our season ended.
Correct, I post less but post more often than you. I'm not late to the party. I was a Mooney supporter for a long time but the reality of where our program finds itself leaves me with little hope until a change is made. I'm completely baffled by the continued support by some who think things will magically get better "next year". What's happened since the end of the season that makes one believe that? I stop by the board often as I find it highly entertaining on several fronts. I guess I'm looking for a little magic of my own as I hope to learn that a change has been made or at least that Mooney is being held accountable for this mess. Until that happens the 2017 JMU game will be the last that I paid to see.

Correct, I post less but post more often than you. I'm not late to the party. I was a Mooney supporter for a long time but the reality of where our program finds itself leaves me with little hope until a change is made. I'm completely baffled by the continued support by some who think things will magically get better "next year". What's happened since the end of the season that makes one believe that? I stop by the board often as I find it highly entertaining on several fronts. I guess I'm looking for a little magic of my own as I hope to learn that a change has been made or at least that Mooney is being held accountable for this mess. Until that happens the 2017 JMU game will be the last that I paid to see.
Go back and read 2011's post

Because it is our right to say whatever we want. I'm sorry you don't agree with what I say.
your Constitutional Rights are not being infringed upon.
if you think they are then your VT education isn't serving you well.

It needs to move off the board and twitter. We need more of this:

4/4/18 - Andrew goes off on the level of accountability at UR following the latest transfer.
He did that with Bob in the studio.

Unfortunately there are very few in local media who will hold the administration's feet to the fire.

Reactions: Eight Legger
I think our last ncaa bid being in 2011 combined with this year's losing record leads some to believe we have had 7 bad years. If that were the case, I would probably want a coaching change as well.

But, we have had promising years since 2011. I think we make the tourney in 2014 if we don't lose Ced Lindsay to injury. How many teams can overcome an injury to a senior PG averaging over 18 a game?

I also think we make the tourney if we had a healthy Grant Golden last year. You can say we should have more depth and I am making excuses, but basketball injuries are not that common and most teams do not lose key players to season ending injuries.

Add those to the year we had the #1 overall NIT seed when we make the tourney if we win instead of lose the OT game against VCU, and that is 3 near misses.

So, that is why I am optimistic about this year. 3 times the past 7 years we have been close, and with the talent we have coming back, I see us definitely knocking on the door and possibly dancing.

Also, it does stink when we could have had a few guys here that the NCAA says is eligible, but we say otherwise. This makes no sense to me. I understand if we don't want a whole team of guys that would not be here if it weren't for basketball, but, would it really be that bad if we could accept maybe 1 every 2 or 3 years that the NCAA says is eligible?

I think our last ncaa bid being in 2011 combined with this year's losing record leads some to believe we have had 7 bad years. If that were the case, I would probably want a coaching change as well.

But, we have had promising years since 2011. I think we make the tourney in 2014 if we don't lose Ced Lindsay to injury. How many teams can overcome an injury to a senior PG averaging over 18 a game?

I also think we make the tourney if we had a healthy Grant Golden last year. You can say we should have more depth and I am making excuses, but basketball injuries are not that common and most teams do not lose key players to season ending injuries.

Add those to the year we had the #1 overall NIT seed when we make the tourney if we win instead of lose the OT game against VCU, and that is 3 near misses.

So, that is why I am optimistic about this year. 3 times the past 7 years we have been close, and with the talent we have coming back, I see us definitely knocking on the door and possibly dancing.

Also, it does stink when we could have had a few guys here that the NCAA says is eligible, but we say otherwise. This makes no sense to me. I understand if we don't want a whole team of guys that would not be here if it weren't for basketball, but, would it really be that bad if we could accept maybe 1 every 2 or 3 years that the NCAA says is eligible?

Hate to pile on the ifs and buts, but having Malcolm Bernard and JJ Avila get past admissions would likely have pushed us into at large range in one or two more seasons.

Reactions: VT4700
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT