ADVERTISEMENT

What Ails the Episcopalians

know the presbyterian church is going through a similar, though not fatal yet, situation. churches are made up of people and they have agendas and don't always do the right thing but what maybe feels good at the time.

Cradle and now "lapsed" Episcopalian, here. Where would you like me to start? The 1979 BOCP that removed sin and focused on outward self with no introspection? Female clergy? Open table? No more MP (well it is part of the Daily office)? HC every service? Folk Mass? Vatican II? Gay priests and marriages? Transgendered priests? Massive litigation against congregations and dioceses? Happy, clappy "evangelical" congregations with modern electronics? Via media split? Conservative/orthodox bishops being charged with misconduct?

As Owen Meany said, "Faith take practice." and practice takes discipline and in TEC I have given you a glimpse of the craziness. You used to beable to describe Episcopal churches as "High and crazy, low and lazy or middle and hazy."

Now its just all crazy.

The church population has been on a downward tractory hastened by the current PB and her actions. Churches will be closing and sold. The PB in depositions for the Fairfax cases said something to the effect that she would rather those historic churches be turned into bars than be homes to Anglican splinter (ie competition to TEC) churches.

Me, I remain a miserable offender (not just for your Gen'l Homer, tis wording from the 1928 BOCP

that was removed from the modern revision).

Once We had Learned Men

Noid - thank you for your post. The Episcopal Church has moved away from the Anglican Church which is thriving in some parts of the world. Your insights are valuable and perhaps you saw the insightful carton depicting "Here's to you Bishop Robinson" showing his elevation to the office of bishop and the Holy Bible flying out the window. Identify with the "miserable offender" although I prefer the wording penned by John Newton in Amazing Grace: "Amazing Grace how sweet the sound, That saved a wretch like me."

I wasn't' going to mention the Bishop of NH. Basically the church was overtaken by revisionists who see no need to follow anything from the past. By cutting the legs off the three legged stool (scripture, tradition and reason), they are left sitting on a seat on the floor and their legs and arms crossed in a petulant manner.

Picking and choosing when to be center stage

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT