ADVERTISEMENT

VCU's NEW COACH

Ulla

Can you forward us Rhoades twitter that he declined VCU offer.Thanks.

Also,is the Rice job a better job than VCU?How much does Rhoades get paid?Houston a nicer place than Richmond?Thanks.

Is CUSA a better league than the A-10?Thanks.

Rhoades twitter

32, I was offered a fellowship at Rice. Rice is a real university. Campus is beautiful, many wealthy alumni. To even mention Rice and VCU in the same sentence is ridiculous. I understand that you provincial guys cannot comprehend the situation. But I can tell you that there is no comparison.

Ram Nation reporting its Wade, players meeting called --- don't know how legit that is

Wade makes sense. VCU is a small upgrade from Chattanooga.

Ulla

Somebody sounds like they are hung up on themself.Nothing about basketball,something about the apparent prestige of a school, which is the subject on hand.Oh well.Thanks.

This post was edited on 4/6 11:29 PM by 32counter

Wade makes sense. A Shaka protégé, runs the same "Havoc" style system and has been successful in his 2 years at Chattie. Whether, a Shaka protégé can get the same results as Shaka, of course remains to be seen.

Nothing will change except we will now deal with Chaos. Wade is their guy. By the way the definition of chaos is "a complete lack of organization". How do you sell that?

By the way #2. I really like the slogan that the Rowdies came up with late in the season (I think it started with the GW game).....

FEAR THE VENOM.

Originally posted by URFan1:
Finally, Smart's top assistant Jeremy Ballard is involved with the job at VCU. If he does not get the gig, word is that he will be joining Smart in Austin.

I thought this was interesting.
Smart's already filled his staff without Ballard. All signs are pointing to Wade at this point.

An amazingly low-tier set of candidates for a school that now considers itself high-tier.

Of course, It is possible that they find a rising superstar in this group. Chance of that happening is not very high.

All signs point to a significant failure that is likely to set the school back for years. Time will tell.

they took chances on grant and smart, young guys with no head coaching experience and hit home runs, luck? don't really know but know i would not bet against them on this hire either. funny, earlier the thoughts were that wade was out because he wanted a power 5 gig and would only be there for a couple of years but now he seems like the man for them. maybe they ran out of other candidates and had to accept the fact that this guy is heading somewhere else and soon. at our level, you want coaches who shine are stars but if you get that, you also lose your coach......

I think VCU is doing the right thing going after Wade or Rhoades (looks like Rhoades turned them down).

What they need now is continuity and someone who can convince the current players and incoming players to stay with VCU. This is a program that has turned into a perennial NCAA team and they just need to keep that train going. By hiring outside the Shaka system - they risk jolting the system in place and facing a down year or two.

The only reason they would go outside the Shaka tree would be if they had a group of graduating players and next year looked like rebuilding to begin with. But truth is - even with the loss of Weber and Graham - they have a lot returning and probably the best incoming recruiting class in the A10. So I can't disagree with going with one of his assistants.

Lets just beat them again next here and maybe we can take their "Havoc Lives Here Slogan" and say "Havoc gets bitten here" when they play at the Robins Center.

Reminds me of when we hired Bill Dooley to transition smoothly from Tarrant. It was a great decision.

Most that i have read shows wade to be energetic. My guess is he will be a good hire. Nevertheless, they can't use havoc, and they can't use chaos now. I suggest they use "clutter."

They are betting the house on the havoc "brand" rather than focusing on obtaining the best basketball coach. It will be interesting to see if that strategy bears fruit.

I do not know enough about these individual candidates to comment knowledgeably on their abilities.

I suspect that their strategy will not work and highly doubt that the best coach available was on their bench a couple of seasons ago. Possible, yes of course, but the odds are against it.

My thoughts exactly, Not-A-Homer. It's possible that they will not miss a beat with this guy, but it seems more likely that we've seen their peak already, at least in this iteration. They really approached this "search" with blinders on, considering only the 4 Shaka disciples. Not really the way to land the best guy, IMHO.

this donovan system has taken them to new heights, why go after someone who does not coach that? i would most definitely attempt to keep it going. does not mean that a new guy utilizing the same system will be able to improve it or even keep it going but certainly worth a try.

the results the last 6 years or so say they've found something that works there. they've been selling the havoc system to recruits, and they come, and they win. why wouldn't they stick with what works???

Because a normal guy named Will has about a tenth of the "cool" cache that Shaka had. More power to him if he can pull in top-30 recruiting classes, but I wouldn't bet Ulla's seventh ranch on it.

I think initially they will get the same type recruits because VCU is selling the message that the "system" will always be the same. And to prove it they are going after Shaka clones when they could have had any coach in the country.
The hard part will be backing it up on the court year after year. Right now Wade walks into a very nice stable of players.

a lot depends on if they keep their current class intact. if so, I like the next guy's chances.

Wade may be the next Coach K but there seemed to be too much focus on who would retain the current players and the recruits. If we need to find a new head coach, i hope we can find the best guy for the job long term ... even if it means we need to take a step back in the near term.

The whole process with Ed seemed very rushed. I understand that you don't want a search to linger but was there time to vet and interview all suitable candidates from Friday until Monday?

According to Burton today, Wade was the only one offered by RPI. I would like to know their definition of the word "offered". Ed: "Mike, understand we are not offering you the RPI job, but if we did would you take it? Wink wink hint hint." Or maybe it went like this----Ed: "Hi Mike" Mike: "NO"

This post was edited on 4/7 5:08 PM by SpiderK

Mo, you have to figure VCU has spent a lot of time thinking "what if" regarding Smart. he's won a lot, and he's been in demand for a long time. they always had to have a backup plan ready. this didn't catch them by surprise. so I'm not surprised they knew which direction they'd like to go if he left.
UR does the same thing. you prepare for this stuff.

Maybe...

This coach from UTC who just finished a season at 22-10 (on Selection Sunday) can match the last coach they hired from UTC after finishing a season at 22-10 (on Selection Sunday)...

Mack McCarthy!

Originally posted by SpiderK:
According to Burton today, Wade was the only one offered by RPI. I would like to know their definition of the word "offered". Ed: "Mike, understand we are not offering you the RPI job, but if we did would you take it? Wink wink hint hint." Or maybe it went like this----Ed: "Hi Mike" Mike: "NO"

This post was edited on 4/7 5:08 PM by SpiderK
Burton is the Head of Propaganda for VCU (fat boy is the Minister of Social Media Deception). He would never say anything that would make VCU look bad. If VCU had rushed the hire, he would say that he was their man all along. If they took too long, he would say they were doing their research. There's more to the story, I'm sure.

I was waiting for Burton to say that Wade walked on water. It was pitiful how he was already slobbering all over himself when talking about Wade. He also said that it didnt matter if Wade lost any of Shaka's recruits because RPI was more than just a recruit or two and that it should be a "seamless" transition. Hilarious if it were not so pathetic!

Local.sports radio has gotten really bad. I have been listening to Wrva or npr on the morning and evening drives. Of course if I'm on the road early enough its Coast to Coast tinfoil wrapped hand's down.

as poor as Big Al is I think he is much less biased than Greg. It's a shame because I used to really like GB. Now I can only listen to so much of the vcu love fest hour.

Listen to Big Al on the 950 radio app. Used to listen to Burton. Now Burton is so biased that he is no longer on my schedule. Moreover, "Really good stuff" grows old. Now I am convinced Burton is a simpleton.

I like the Sunshine boys on the Big Al show. Big Al could leave the set when they are on the show. They are the only two that have any knowledge of local basketball and will speak their mind. The local sports market is really ripe for someone to start a more knowledgable show. I just don't listen to the national NBA promotional shows during the day.

This post was edited on 4/8 8:43 AM by SpiderK

Originally posted by urmite:
Maybe...

This coach from UTC who just finished a season at 22-10 (on Selection Sunday) can match the last coach they hired from UTC after finishing a season at 22-10 (on Selection Sunday)...

Mack McCarthy!
Oh if the results could only be the same.

As a VCU fan, I can accept that Burton is a total homer. Big Al? I can't fathom how he's still on the air. It's the worst sports talk radio show I've ever heard. He does zero prep, reads the newspaper, and basically has random conversation with his old man friends on air. It's cringe inducing.

cannot disagree about Al, but at least he is not a love fest for one school--if you are a vcu fan it could be interesting, but frankly I've got to believe even that would be boring after awhile

Originally posted by URFan1:
cannot disagree about Al, ...
No way. Big Al helped save Richmond football, when Cooper was pushing for UR to join the PFL, after Jim Reid left and when Clawson was hired. He hosted a number of insiders with knowledge of the situation and brought the backroom games to light. His interviews about UR football lasted a week and created such a huge firestorm that the administration had to back down.

I also know and like Greg, but I agree that it has become pretty difficult to tell whether his show is paid for directly by VCU or not. He also seems to get pretty defensive whenever someone questions him about VCU. Last week when the national guys were reporting that Shaka had interest in the job and was going to meet with the Texas AD, Greg sounded like all the VCU fans on Twitter, talking about "irresponsible" reporting that was taking place.

Well, turned out that everything the national guys (and the Texas online guys) were reporting was 100% accurate. Imagine that.

The Sunshine Boys are a riot. I agree that a show of nothing but them without Al's mindless drivel would be awesome. Al is terrible, but a this point I almost feel sorry for him. At times he seems to realize that he is no good and makes fun of himself, at least. I think his show has pretty much followed the same script for 20 years, down to the exact moment that Lumpy calls every day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT