ADVERTISEMENT

Thank You Dick Tarrant

mojo-spider

Team Manager
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010

unless you were around in the 60's and 70's you probably can't fully appreciate what Coach Tarrant did for basketball and the University of Richmond...

after struggling for most of two decades, his teams changed everything...he proved to all the skeptics that you could win big in basketball at the University of Richmond...as the original "giant killers" the interest, publicity and pride he generated for the University were unsurpassed at the time...

my family and I owe him many thanks and much gratitude for almost an entire adult lifetime of competitive and entertaining basketball, kick started by his teams...

thank you Coach Tarrant enjoy your honor...

Go Spiders!

I remember coming down for the Wake Forest game. I think they were ranked like No 4 in the
preseason. I brought my girlfriend at the time and kept saying to her that I know we aren't going to win
but hopefully it will be a close game. I walked out of RC in shock. The only other game I saw that
may have shocked me more was our win at U of MD over Syracuse.

Mojo- this may be your best post ever.

a funny DT story.....was in the foster parent program back then, assigned one of he players and he, and others, would come over for dinner and to just hang out, kind of like being home a bit for them. anyway, lou goetz had gone on a trip out of town and left DT in charge of practices and one of the guys said, that guy is killing us, he is working us so hard. really did not think much about those comments until a couple of years later when he was in charge and then thought, bet he is working those guys. they agreed, he was working them.

I walked in and watched a couple practices while in school. DT was a badass. A fight broke out and he says "This is good" and just watches (it was broke up by players immediately). Great, Great game coach. I really think he was one of the top guys in college hoops at preparing his team for a game, and making adjustments.

I like to tell the story, first football game I'm attending freshmen (1988) year and had a spider basketball shirt on. He goes out of the way to stop me and tell me nice shirt and chat for a half a minute. Great to see him continue his support of the program.

Been going to Spiders games since the 70's as a kid, and although don't remember much about specific games, I do remember the "runnin like never before" era of Goetz. What did that last, a year? Best thing Goetz did was bring Tarrant with him. My first specific memory of a spider game was indeed the game with Wake, and what a play at the end of the game with Bethea breaking long for an inbound pass and layup (or perhaps a dunk...memory has faded a little) to seal the deal...None of us knew what we had at the time, but what a run he had.
Thanks for putting the Spiders on the map.

I have a couple memories of Coach Tarrant. Back in the early 80's, he would come around to the men's dormitories and have a face-to-face "season preview" in the dorm lounges. He would talk about the newcomers on the team, who was doing well, what he felt the prospects were for the season, Q&A, etc. I though it was great, he was engaging everyone at a very personal level, and I think a good number of students would go to the games who might not have if he hadn't made those appearances.

I was also friends with a few guys on the team at that time (Jeff Pehl, Bill Flye, Kelvin Johnson, Dave Phillips). They would regale me with tales of ball-busting practices, getting the "Marine DI" treatment when they did something wrong, and how if you were thin-skinned and/or couldn't take criticism (i.e. serious verbal abuse), you wouldn't last a New Jersey minute in the gym with Coach Tarrant. I heard more than a few times that he really earned his first name.

But at the end of the day, I think any one of his players would jump off a cliff for Coach Tarrant, and I think that his brand of discipline and his demands for perfection from his players are what made him and his teams special. Most importantly, his players believed that if they could survive his practices, and execute to the level that Tarrant expected, they could go out on the court and play with any team in the country.

I'm really looking forward to seeing and hearing from him at halftime tonight. He single-handedly put University of Richmond on the national map, and we all owe a huge debt of gratitude to him.

Last edited:
Keef - what a great article, thanks for sharing!

3gen - I was at that game as well and I think Bethea hit a layup off a long inbounds pass 2 times in a row to end the game. It was amazing.

23 - 1988 was my freshman year as well. We had 4 great years of hoops.

Pike, you are correct, did the same "go long" pass twice. also remember, as an alum, not student, storming the court afterwards....:)

Seem to recall that Bill Dooley threw at least one of those passes to Bethea.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT