ADVERTISEMENT

SoCon MLAX tourney 5/2 & 5/4 ESPN+

Number 38 did great job on faceoffs including 2 to the house and then scored later for a hat trick.....huge momentum builder....and agree 32 we did great job containing Nolting after he beat us in last seconds of regular season game..................we had an effective game plan.........................

5cbbadd5964dd.image.jpg

Dominant Spiders go back-to-back, capture second straight SoCon men's lacrosse championship

JOHN O'CONNOR·34 minutes ago

The University of Richmond won its second consecutive Southern Conference men's lacrosse championship Saturday, dominating 15-7 at High Point, which is ranked No. 11 nationally and was the league tournament's top seed.

A five-goal third quarter by third-seeded UR and a defensive effort that hushed the league's premier scoring team delivered the Spiders (10-6) to their third NCAA tournament in the program's six years as a Division I program. Richmond also scored five times in the fourth quarter to punctuate the victory.

The NCAA tournament selection show will be broadcast by ESPNU at 9 p.m. Sunday. Richmond previously qualified for the NCAA tournament by winning the 2014 Atlantic Sun championship and last year's SoCon title.

UR took command early against High Point (13-3) and never trailed, gaining decisive separation by scoring three times during a 90-second span of the third quarter to lead 10-5 entering the final period.

Junior Tyler Shoults scored two goals to help the Spiders to a 4-1 lead early in the second quarter. High Point tied it 4-4 five minutes before halftime. UR held a 5-4 advantage at the break.

Richmond grabbed momentum, and an 8-4 lead, in the third period by scoring three goals in 90 seconds (Teddy Hatfield, Ryan Lanchbury, Nick D'Amaro). Hatfield, Ryan Lanchbury and D'Amaro each scored three times for UR.

The Spiders put together a second straight game of defensive superiority. They eliminated second-seeded Air Force 7-6 in Thursday's semifinal round. High Point was averaging 15 goals, which led the Southern Conference, and ripped fourth-seeded Jacksonville 17-3 in the semifinals.

UR limited High Point sophomore Asher Nolting, the two-time Southern Conference offensive player of the year, to one goal (four assists).

The Spiders made their sixth consecutive appearance in their league championship game (2014 in the Atlantic Sun and the last five in the SoCon). UR is in the only Division I program to make six straight appearances in its league's title game.

High Point defeated visiting UR 15-14 last Saturday in the final regular-season game for both teams, scoring with 6.4 seconds remaining

Reactions: urfan1
SoCon Final: Richmond Strangles Second Half En Route to SoCon Title
Saturday May 4th, 2019 3:00pm

FacebookTweet
58a1d49a2a0ed.png

High Point
(13-3)
5cc5c3800a689.gif

Richmond
(10-6)
View Boxscore

@SpiderMLAX on Twitter)

Teddy Hatfield provided the dagger.

With 7:04 remaining in the game, he caught the ball at the midline, took at step toward High Point’s open net and launched a shot that doubled up the Panthers, gave the Spiders a six-goal lead and effectively won Richmond the 2019 SoCon championship, sending the Spiders to the NCAA Tournament for the third time in program history.

It ended with a 15-7 victory for Richmond, but the game was decided in the first three minutes of the third quarter when Hatfield, Ryan Lanchbury and Nick D’Amaro turned a 5-4 halftime lead into an 8-4 lead with 12:13 remaining in the third quarter. The Spiders extended that to leads of 10-5 and 14-6, maintaining control throughout the entire second half.

Lanchbury led Richmond’s balanced scoring effort with three goals and two assists; nine Spiders registered a point, and five finished with three points.

D’Amaro finished with three goals, and his contributions were surprising and meaningful. An area of concern vs. the Panthers, who won 25-of-31 face-offs in last week’s 15-14 High Point win in the regular season finale, the Spiders used five different players at the X on Saturday. In total, they went just 8-of-26 and D’Amaro went 3-of-11, but he scored goals off of all three of those wins.

All that said, the star of the show for Richmond was redshirt sophomore goalie Jack Rusbuldt, who made 14 saves.

For High Point, the offense just never got clicking. Star attackman Asher Nolting finished with a goal and four assists, but turned the ball over six times and had a dive goal waved off, receiving an unsportsmanlike penalty in the process. They took 37 shots and turned the ball over 21 times. Third-leading scorer Ben Baker didn’t make a contribution and has been limited due to injury in recent weeks. Middies Dalton Sulver and Koby Russell, who’d combined for 55 points coming in, were limited to one point, and Ricky Koehler and Jake Schleppy combined to shoot 0-8.

While the Spiders wait to find out their opponent and will almost certainly avoid the play-in game with an RPI that currently sits at No. 19, the Panthers are a more curious case selection-wise. With Top 5 wins over Duke and Virginia and an RPI of 20, there are very few historical precedents for how the NCAA Committee will regard their resume.

The NCAA Selection Show is set for 9 p.m. Sunday on ESPNU. Check back to Inside Lacrosse for our final look at Bracketology.

SoCon All-Tournament MLAX Team

Trent Harper, Air Force
Brandon Jones, Air Force
Zack Deaken, Jacksonville
Jack Dolan, Jacksonville
Asher Nolting, High Point
Tim Troutner Jr., High Point
Chris Young, High Point
Ray Baran, Richmond
Teddy Hatfield, Richmond
Ryan Lanchbury, Richmond
Sean Menges, Richmond
Jack Rusbuldt, Richmond

Most Outstanding Player
Jack Rusbuldt, Richmond

Pinnacle Award (highest GPA on championship-winning team)

Blake Goodman, Richmond

Last edited:
HPU Coach hoping to get favorable thumbs up from NCAA MLAX committee-

“I think we have the resume to make the NCAA Tournament and I hope the committee sees that," HPU head coach Jon Torpey said. "Shots weren't falling for us and I don't think we did a particularly good job defensively or offensively, but you have days like that. It was a day where everything was falling for them and nothing was falling for us. When you have 13 wins and lead the nation in wins, you should be rewarded so hopefully we will be."

Torpey was outcoached and his kids were outplayed in every facet of the game today.He should have said that.

Would be very surprised if SoCon gets an AQ and an at large.

HPU had six(6) one goal wins during regular season.

Last edited:
HPU Coach hoping to get favorable thumbs up from NCAA MLAX committee-

“I think we have the resume to make the NCAA Tournament and I hope the committee sees that," HPU head coach Jon Torpey said. "Shots weren't falling for us and I don't think we did a particularly good job defensively or offensively, but you have days like that. It was a day where everything was falling for them and nothing was falling for us. When you have 13 wins and lead the nation in wins, you should be rewarded so hopefully we will be."

Torpey was outcoached and his kids were outplayed in every facet of the game today.He should have said that.

Would be very surprised if SoCon gets an AQ and an at large.

HPU had six(6) one goal wins during regular season.
With the growth of Men's LAX, they're going to have to expand the tournament to at least 24 teams at some point. Too many good teams left out right now, and bias still exists with blue blood conferences getting at-large bids. Women's LAX has 24 with top teams having byes, and seems to work well.

With the growth of Men's LAX, they're going to have to expand the tournament to at least 24 teams at some point. Too many good teams left out right now, and bias still exists with blue blood conferences getting at-large bids. Women's LAX has 24 with top teams having byes, and seems to work well.

73 Mens teams D1

116 Womens Teams D1

60% more Womens teams than Mens.

50% more Womens tourney teams than Mens tourney teams.

That’s the reason for respective difference in NCAA D1 LAX tourney selections.

Disagree that too many good teams were left out.Cornell maybe.Possibly Denver.Maybe even Ohio State.

NCAA BBall tourney always has issues about “1st 4 out” v “last 4 in”.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChoppinBroccoli
73 Mens teams D1

116 Womens Teams D1

60% more Womens teams than Mens.

50% more Womens tourney teams than Mens tourney teams.

That’s the reason for respective difference in NCAA D1 LAX tourney selections.

Disagree that too many good teams were left out.Cornell maybe.Possibly Denver.Maybe even Ohio State.

NCAA BBall tourney always has issues about “1st 4 out” v “last 4 in”.
Thanks for the numbers. When I saw the brackets I figured there were a lot more WLAX teams nationally.
The 17-team bracket is curious, though. I thought the NCAA had a rule where there had to be at least as many at-large teams as AQs. I count 9 AQs and 8 ALs.

We were in the play-in game in 2014 against Air Force played on their field in Colorado Springs.

2 Lowest seed AQs have a play-in game.
(Kind of like Dayton for 16 seeds in MBball)

That winner plays #1 seed Penn State.

So the NCAA can satisfy the rule by using play-in games to "even out" the field before the first round? Cool. Didn't know that.

There are 32 AQs for the NCAA MBB tournament, so the play-in games are unnecessary for that. They just wanted more at large teams.

I wish the FCS football championship would drop down to 18 teams, then, and have two play-in games for the bottom 4 AQs. That would balance it to 8 AQ/8 AL. It's currently 10 AQ and 14 AL, and finding 14 playoff-worthy at large teams results in some dreck in the bracket.

Remember the ACC does not have an automatic qualifier, they don't have enough teams (5).

That's still amazing to me, especially considering the historical success of Duke, UVA, Syracuse and UNC. Crazy that they can't get other programs started.

That's still amazing to me, especially considering the historical success of Duke, UVA, Syracuse and UNC. Crazy that they can't get other programs started.

Why not just add us as an affiliate member?

In all seriousness though Florida State, GT, Boston College, VT, and NC St could all have solid programs. Its a shame because if most athletic departments were being started from scratch Lax would absolutely be among the sports added. Schools chasing football money and as a result cutting other mens sports while having to comply with Title IX makes it a difficult sport for many schools to add.

Reactions: Eight Legger

In all seriousness though Florida State, GT, Boston College, VT, and NC St could all have solid programs. Its a shame because if most athletic departments were being started from scratch Lax would absolutely be among the sports added. Schools chasing football money and as a result cutting other mens sports while having to comply with Title IX makes it a difficult sport for many schools to add.

Some of these schools could go scholarship D1 and would be happy to give Chemotti a carte blance check to create a winner.

http://mcla.us/teams

http://mcla.us/tournaments/view/85

I’d like us to move to the CAA in lacrosse. It’s a very strong conference, teams we play in football, and more
bids than just one, to the NCAA’s.

I’d like us to move to the CAA in lacrosse. It’s a very strong conference, teams we play in football, and more
bids than just one, to the NCAA’s.

Agreed and wouldn't be shocked to see us in there in the next 5 years. Also wouldn't mind a few more A10 schools adding it and the conference sponsor the sport to keep it growing. Need 6 teams for an auto-bid?

A10 Schools with lax
Richmond
St. Bonaventure
UMASS
St. Joes

A10 Schools that would work well at?
Davidson ?
Fordham?
GW?

I imagine those programs could be better then Mercer, Bellarmine pretty quick.

Obviously the former is far more likely and imagine most of the fan base would approve.

Agreed and wouldn't be shocked to see us in there in the next 5 years. Also wouldn't mind a few more A10 schools adding it and the conference sponsor the sport to keep it growing. Need 6 teams for an auto-bid?

A10 Schools with lax
Richmond
St. Bonaventure
UMASS
St. Joes

A10 Schools that would work well at?
Davidson ?
Fordham?
GW?

I imagine those programs could be better then Mercer, Bellarmine pretty quick.

Obviously the former is far more likely and imagine most of the fan base would approve.
I’m really surprised by GW. They have a similar student body as Richmond and their neighbor, Georgetown.
A D-1 lacrosse program seems like a natural.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT