ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan Soulis - 2023 Signee

this certainly explains Graham's status. we were working this since May 9th and kept that spot open. it really is a great fit for a big man like Soulis. come in with Quinn being a senior and only one other big on the roster? I'd sign up for that ... if I was 18 and 6'10".

JOC sends his regards.

This commitment does feel like the best offseason news we’ve had.

Welcome to the family Ryan. I hope we are marketing to the huge Greek population in the Richmond community.
So I pinged with a work colleague this morning who is of Greek descent and whose multi-generational family does the Loukoumades (Greek donuts) tent each year at the Greek festival. Was very cool to hear him say "I met him .. Coach Mooney brought him to the Greek Festival in June -- seems he was on a campus visit. " Give Coach accolades on this one.

Yes very good pick up!!! I will officially stop saying we did not get our Matt Reed replacement:). Good length and skill. Nice job picking up Tyne and Soullis on the re-class!
Not only replacement, but I think a much better all around player than Reed. See, I told you we had plenty of time to replace Reed.....but, no, I didn't think we would take 9 months to do it. 😀

Reactions: spider23
Not only replacement, but I think a much better all around player than Reed.
I'm excited about Soulis. He's a substantially better run/jump athlete than Reed. I do think Reed is much more ready on day one, but Soulis may have higher upside and we don't necessarily need him on day one.

I like Reed's shooting form better. just smoother. there's something funny with Ryan's form but I can't put my finger on it. the release or follow through seems kinda two handed. he did make plenty of 3's in his highlights and all that matters is if they go in, but I'd just like to see the percentage.

I'm excited about Soulis. He's a substantially better run/jump athlete than Reed. I do think Reed is much more ready on day one, but Soulis may have higher upside and we don't necessarily need him on day one.

I like Reed's shooting form better. just smoother. there's something funny with Ryan's form but I can't put my finger on it. the release or follow through seems kinda two handed. he did make plenty of 3's in his highlights and all that matters is if they go in, but I'd just like to see the percentage.

Almost idk a Robert Parrish type feel where the arms were more extended than bent. He brings the rain. High arc esp for a big man. Arc was like Reggie Brown. But yeah if Ryan can consistently can knock ‘em down that’s what matters.

Agree that Soulis looks like a better athlete, and taller and longer than Reed. He actually reminds me a little bit of a shorter Chet Holmgren. I think a key for Soulis will be his ability to add strength and some weight. But he looks like he has a lot of tools to work with. If the shot goes in like the highlights could actually see a bit of a Justin Harper type next to Walz in future years.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
any concern with him reclassifying? Does this mean he redshirts when he comes in? Will he be ready "physcially" to play at this level from day 1?

any concern with him reclassifying? Does this mean he redshirts when he comes in? Will he be ready "physcially" to play at this level from day 1?
I'd say no chance at a redshirt. if he didn't want to play this year, he'd have stayed in the class of '24. sounds like he knows he has work to do but he'd rather do it at this level than at high school or prep school. needs to get stronger and learn the college game. I think he's preparing for a big role in 24-25.

you let him battle with Walz for the backup role at the 5. Walz should be the clear favorite with his experience and strength. but you let them battle.

I don't think he'll play big forward. Bigelow and Harris should handle that.

I'd say no chance at a redshirt. if he didn't want to play this year, he'd have stayed in the class of '24. sounds like he knows he has work to do but he'd rather do it at this level than at high school or prep school. needs to get stronger and learn the college game. I think he's preparing for a big role in 24-25.

you let him battle with Walz for the backup role at the 5. Walz should be the clear favorite with his experience and strength. but you let them battle.

I don't think he'll play big forward. Bigelow and Harris should handle that.
My concern is - he came out early for UR, as it seems like we were the only program willing to let him do that. If he shows up - and we barely play him, does he just transfer? Are we in position where we HAVE to play him because we let him reclassify?

I was having this same debate in my head, is expectation that he gets PT, redshirts, or we see how he looks and then formulate a plan? I am guessing the come now was a big selling point. He had a good year in Asheville, but after four years of h.s. a lot of people are ready to move on. So offering the spot for 23 worked out really well. I have the feeling he wants to come in and compete for time this year, which I think would be great. I have always been in the boat that the planned RS year is not optimal for preparing. When you know you might play I think you are more focused and more motivated to battle in practice to earn that time now. I really think that is the best case scenario - he is good enough to earn time this year and get ready for a big role the following season. And, we are very thin inside. Remember last year, Quinn was out with lower leg injury. GREAT, this is the opportunity for Walz to play big minutes. Walz then proceeds to show up to the game in a boot. Very very good chance that Ryan will have to play minutes this year - if the plan is not to redshirt.

there are no guarantees.
he could transfer if we don't play him. he could transfer if we do play him.

he put himself in the 2024 class. SMC and SJU offered him for 2024. they had filled their 2023 classes. I assume we were originally looking at him as a 2024 too, but things happened leaving us with an opening in 2023. and he happened to have all his credits.

this doesn't look like it was a slam dunk because we offered for 2023. he visited us in May but just committed Saturday. I'm sure reclassing was a tough decision. he could have another year to get stronger and gotten even more offers. but he says he feels great with Mooney and staff and with the school.

I was having this same debate in my head, is expectation that he gets PT, redshirts, or we see how he looks and then formulate a plan? I am guessing the come now was a big selling point. He had a good year in Asheville, but after four years of h.s. a lot of people are ready to move on. So offering the spot for 23 worked out really well. I have the feeling he wants to come in and compete for time this year, which I think would be great. I have always been in the boat that the planned RS year is not optimal for preparing. When you know you might play I think you are more focused and more motivated to battle in practice to earn that time now. I really think that is the best case scenario - he is good enough to earn time this year and get ready for a big role the following season. And, we are very thin inside. Remember last year, Quinn was out with lower leg injury. GREAT, this is the opportunity for Walz to play big minutes. Walz then proceeds to show up to the game in a boot. Very very good chance that Ryan will have to play minutes this year - if the plan is not to redshirt.
So who won the debate - right side or left side?

Good post, and I’m onboard with your points. I hope he gets decent minutes this year. It would be good to show that we got a freshman that can come in and give us some impact instead of observing from the bench. I hope he’s hungry and can quickly adapt and get on the court.

this doesn't look like it was a slam dunk because we offered for 2023. he visited us in May but just committed Saturday. I'm sure reclassing was a tough decision. he could have another year to get stronger and gotten even more offers. but he says he feels great with Mooney and staff and with the school.
Possible that we were also recruiting him as a 2024 until we couldn't land our other top targets, then we went to him later in the process with the idea of reclassifying?

Well - since I think the expectation is we will not be very good this year or just about .500 - why not give him minutes and get him ready for next year, or at least see what you got in him and if he will be a key figure next year.

I don't know the work out / practice schedule for the summer. Is Soulis on campus and practicing with the team yet? We have a lot of unknowns, and X factors for this team this year. I feel like if he is physically ready he could be a huge X factor.

I don't know the work out / practice schedule for the summer. Is Soulis on campus and practicing with the team yet? We have a lot of unknowns, and X factors for this team this year. I feel like if he is physically ready he could be a huge X factor.

Doubt it. This is their off time. Think all players now gone from campus until school starts back end of August. Unless a few live in Richmond during summer.

Reactions: spider23
Redshirts in the era of the transfer portal and NIL seems like a really bad idea. We have a roster that is low on upper end talent and is very transitional this year. All of our freshman should be active and seeing minutes.

Reactions: gcarter52
you play who gives you the best chance to win. if that's freshmen ... awesome.
but you can't play 13 guys.

Reactions: gcarter52
Redshirts in the era of the transfer portal and NIL seems like a really bad idea. We have a roster that is low on upper end talent and is very transitional this year. All of our freshman should be active and seeing minutes.
They just may surprise us!

Reactions: plydogg
He isn’t…so he will be behind…some guys are doing the last week of the BBall camp then coming home for some rest. Dji was back last week went back for camp and is coming home Sat until around 21st I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: spiderman
you play who gives you the best chance to win. if that's freshmen ... awesome.
but you can't play 13 guys.
We are picked to finish 14th in the league. If Mooney isn't getting his young guys some really good developmental minutes this year, that would be a shame.

Reactions: PASpider
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT