ADVERTISEMENT

Roussell has some work to do

Richmond

Torin Rogers, 6’1, G, Soph. (1 ppg)
Melissa Mwanza, 6’2, F, Fr. (1.2 ppg)
Kylee Lewandowski, 6’1, G, Sr. (2 ppg)
Siobhan Ryan, 6’0, G, Sr. (8.5 ppg)
Grace Townsend, 5’5, G, Sr. (13.4 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 5.2 apg)

32 the last three are graduating so that is to be expected
if they choose to not use the last Covid year. I would be more
worried about losing a Doogan or Ullstrom who are sophs and
prominent players versus Rogers and Mwanza.

Reactions: jimbog
32 the last three are graduating so that is to be expected
if they choose to not use the last Covid year. I would be more
worried about losing a Doogan or Ullstrom who are sophs and
prominent players versus Rogers and Mwanza.
I get it but losing Ryan and Townsend ain’t a good look and will give other contributors pause.

I don’t know story on Ryan & Townsend but my feeling is the grad women are more serious about pursuing specific grad programs & degrees too. Might be no factor at all but more likely than the men imo.

Reactions: PASpider and WCUR11
There are so many transfers these days I don't think the kids see it as a bad reflection any more. It's juts common place. Just like free agency.

Ryan and Grace are the big hits. If the list stays at where it is now AND Budnik returns, then Ladies should be alright. They will def need to fill the PG position, but should be pretty solid.

I don't know. Even with as much movement as there is, when I look at the list and see more than 2-3 players leaving from a particular school (men's or women's teams), my first thought is "what is going on there."

the women getting mixed up in NIL portal madness now too eh 🥱
Agreed. I think if you watch the NCAA women's tourney, they make mention how one difference between men and women is lack of transfers compared to men. Which allows womens teams to grow a team, unlike Men. But I think that has caught up to the women. And I don't blame the women. As much as people dislike NIL - one area it does help is women sports, especially those lesser sports - such as soccer, swimming, lacrosse, track, etc. For most of those athletes - college is the end because there is little to no professional avenue other than possibly Olympics. So for many college women - this might be their best "earning" years in terms of their sports. And I am not thinking millions of dollars. But I am sure the top NCAA women's soccer players are able to gain some endorsements. Same with lacrosse, track, maybe even tennis, etc.

But eventually the portal madness would hit the women, and if the women's NCAA tourney keeps on this high point that Caitlin Clark has given them, the NIL money will continue to grow for women's hoops. And where there is money, there is transfers. The first sign it has hit the women in a bad way - if you start seeing players from UCONN, South Carolina, LSU, USC, etc leaving those programs for elsewhere. That means the money is out there.

The women's portal isn't quite as active as the men's is, but the women's is up to almost 900.

Reactions: urfan1
Two of the top 10 NIL earners this year are Clark and Reese. There is only one men's player in the Top 10, Bronny James, and that clearly is not based on his talent rather his name. The rest are FB players and oddly a women's gymnast with a huge social media following (make sense).

Reactions: WCUR11
Two of the top 10 NIL earners this year are Clark and Reese. There is only one men's player in the Top 10, Bronny James, and that clearly is not based on his talent rather his name. The rest are FB players and oddly a women's gymnast with a huge social media following (make sense).

Here is on3 take. Top 20, no Clark? Austin Peay?

I wish the coaches could or would discuss players leaving
Agreed. I think if you watch the NCAA women's tourney, they make mention how one difference between men and women is lack of transfers compared to men. Which allows womens teams to grow a team, unlike Men. But I think that has caught up to the women. And I don't blame the women. As much as people dislike NIL - one area it does help is women sports, especially those lesser sports - such as soccer, swimming, lacrosse, track, etc. For most of those athletes - college is the end because there is little to no professional avenue other than possibly Olympics. So for many college women - this might be their best "earning" years in terms of their sports. And I am not thinking millions of dollars. But I am sure the top NCAA women's soccer players are able to gain some endorsements. Same with lacrosse, track, maybe even tennis, etc.

But eventually the portal madness would hit the women, and if the women's NCAA tourney keeps on this high point that Caitlin Clark has given them, the NIL money will continue to grow for women's hoops. And where there is money, there is transfers. The first sign it has hit the women in a bad way - if you start seeing players from UCONN, South Carolina, LSU, USC, etc leaving those programs for elsewhere. That means the money is out there.

Women’s hoops stands to gain the most from NIL, and it’s about damn time. Educate yourself.

Everyone got access to "NIL money" at the same time, I was not making a commentary on that. As full on year to year free agency becomes the norm every offseason, fan interest will decline when we don't know who half the people on the damn team are. eDuCaTe YoUrSeLf

Spiders turned over their entire roster except Bailey in 2 years and no one had an issue figuring out who was on the team, or enjoying their successes as a team or as individuals. Seems like this argument of team churn is largely predicated on smoke. At no point was I wondering who that guard scoring 30 points for the Spiders was. Not sure why this is an issue for fans, except that it is a change from the past and people are uncomfortable with change, even if it barely/doesn't affect them at all.

Reactions: VT4700 and WCUR11
We are just at the start of the madness my friend. This is just the tip of the iceberg. It's just different getting a mostly new team year to year and not really knowing who the people are and taking weeks/months to really learn who is on the team compared to the past where there was an expectation that people would stick around. I have accepted the change that this is the way things are now but that doesn't mean I have to like it 🤷‍♂️

Transfers both open up a spot on the team they leave and take a spot on the team they land on resulting in a net 0 change in spots. They do not affect the overall number of spots available in D1 for high schoolers.

But the covid bonus years did eliminate spots for high schoolers. It will be good when back to true net 0.

Also, high majors are prioritizing hs recruiting less and less due to transfer rules. kids have less shot to make their dreams come true & get to the school they would have b4 these rules, maybe that is what Carolina meant. In theory there is chance for Richmond to get better hs recruits, but harder to keep them.

But the covid bonus years did eliminate spots for high schoolers. It will be good when back to true net 0.

Also, high majors are prioritizing hs recruiting less and less due to transfer rules. kids have less shot to make their dreams come true & get to the school they would have b4 these rules, maybe that is what Carolina meant. In theory there is chance for Richmond to get better hs recruits, but harder to keep them.
If you are talking playing for majors, I think they have more of a shot. Look at how many guys have transferred from mid majors to majors. And, if you have high major talent out of high school, of course you will still be recruited by high majors, and will play at a high major school if you want to.

Getting back to Roussell's immediate task at hand...

No idea how Tracy Woodson feels about UR at this point, but his daughter is transferring out of IPFW after her frosh year. Her stats aren't eye-popping, but they were good enough to earn her a spot on the Horizon all-frosh team.

Tracy appears to still be in the Richmond area, as his son (2025 Baylor baseball commit) is still at Hanover. His older son is the men's tennis coach at Baylor.

If you are talking playing for majors, I think they have more of a shot. Look at how many guys have transferred from mid majors to majors. And, if you have high major talent out of high school, of course you will still be recruited by high majors, and will play at a high major school if you want to.

They don't have more of a shot out of hs, I was responding to Carolina hs comment. Yes certainly the high majors will still get the top tier hs talent. the top 50 hs kids r not in question never were. maybe top 100. But they r passing on more of the borderline high major hs kid, that 3rd/4th recruit in a class perhaps that they usually took, because they'd rather get proven guys out of portal now & unlimited transferring will ensure that continues. More staff resources r going there than hs recruiting. Less time to see the hs guys and it was harder to eval hs kids anyway, they'll bag it for many of those borderline guys. What I'm hearing. Can the hs kid make up for it somewhat once they get to college? Yes. But believe it or not some kids don't want to be a nomad & transfer multiple times to do it, and would rather have a better experience at 1 school and develop over time at a good program. admittedly the # of those kids seem fewer & fewer every day. the majors will no longer give u that chance, heck even a Richmond might not.

Reactions: urfan1
Getting back to Roussell's immediate task at hand...

No idea how Tracy Woodson feels about UR at this point, but his daughter is transferring out of IPFW after her frosh year. Her stats aren't eye-popping, but they were good enough to earn her a spot on the Horizon all-frosh team.

Tracy appears to still be in the Richmond area, as his son (2025 Baylor baseball commit) is still at Hanover. His older son is the men's tennis coach at Baylor.

Hopefully Woodson feels great about Richmond. It paid him for about three years longer than it should have to produce mostly poor results while alienating players and baseball alumni alike.

Reactions: SpideRVA
Don't know how Tracy feels, the RTD reported he has another son on Hanover HS Baseball roster, expected to be a leading player. BTW one of their starting pitchers is Brady Elrod, son of Joe Elrod former UR QB.

Yes, TJ is his youngest. Highly ranked junior committed to Baylor.

I can tell you Tracy's dad loathes UR and isn't afraid to say so literally every time I see him.

You’re right, deleted it. But I loathe what NCAA has allowed to happen and especially ruining
dreams of many HS athletes.
The NCAA has tried to regulate transfers, most recently by eliminating almost all immediate-eligibility waivers for second-time transfers. Every time it makes a rule, somebody sues them and the rule is nullified.

Still remember that world series game with Gibson pinch hitting. I'm a Dodgers fan and was a freshman on Wood Hall watching that game. When I saw Gibson limp to the plate, and then made contact. I was thinking no way that does anything. Was hoping it fell in front of the outfielder. Was shocked when it went over the fence. That is what I remember Woodson for, contributing to that team.

Playing the game at the highest level, does not equate to being able to coach
or teach the game well. Atkins was a Legion coach and look how well he did.
Coach Boone was a catcher in the minors and did well at UR. Getting the right
coach is a crap shoot and takes a few years to see if he or she was the right choice.

Reactions: spider23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT