ADVERTISEMENT

Re: oh well

Where is Ayers? What a joke of a leader.

This story has been making the rounds among alumni for a week so he had to have been made aware days ago. Still no statement from him.

Does he actually believe in The Richmond Promise or has his failure to raise much money outside of Queally and Weinstein left him in a position where he has to put up with this? His tenure must be nearing its end.

this is bad press for a university.....

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/local/crime/vcu-soccer-players-charged-with-filming-nude-minor/article_652618b0-98f1-11e3-bb98-001a4bcf6878.html

just because certain people or certain groups set up protected entities (people, groups) and attempts to hush our freedoms, does not mean it is the right thing to do. political correctness is polarizing and places people in camps and calls them names, the exact same thing they are attempting to stop. it is silly and does not help and in fact hurts relations. besides the very people who set up these ideas are sometimes the very worst offenders, have seen and heard it. this is such a non story and so ignorant and scary but the society in which we live today.....sad

There's a lot of talk of "political correctness" as it relates to this topic. I'm curious how people would define it, because the way I am hearing it used does not really fit my definition of it at all.

I would suggest "political correctness" is a term used by those who have in the past not been a target of inappropriate/awkward words or actions and have been unable to step outside themselves and into the shoes of those, or put those whom they love the most into the shoes of those, who have been a target of inappropriate/awkward words or actions.
If we all treat each other with truth, fairness, dignity and respect, there is no offense.

I believe I asked first.
3dsmile.r191677.gif

And I asked because I hear it being used as a catch-all way to challenge anyone who says that something is inappropriate... as if, without this "political correctness," we would all be free to make any type of statements or jokes (offensive or otherwise) at any time, in any situation, without any repercussion from anyone. We'd be free to call people derogatory terms based on their ethnicities, or their genders or their sexual orientations, or their levels of education, etc., and they'd all just laugh it off as no big deal.

But because of "political correctness," well darn it, now we can't just go around demeaning people, because we might get called out by the "PC police" if we do.

I simply don't buy that logic at all. I don't think that "political correctness" has anything to do with common decency and respect for your fellow man, or woman. That's all.

And in case you get the wrong idea here, I'm not a holier-than-thou type about this stuff. I make all kinds of jokes every day. I've said plenty of things that probably are inappropriate, but I have the sense not to say them in front of hundreds of people.

remember my first encounter was a story from the univ of michigan where a male student had said something that a coed felt inappropriate and the school made the guy go to some type of sensitivity class or be expelled. people are going to dislike others for various reasons, that will never stop and people will say inappropriate things, this will never stop. my feeling is that some have set aside groups and individuals who are off limits, nothing can be said about or to them while they can say anything they wish and it can never be inappropriate and is acceptable to the elite who made this entire deal up. i treat people as people not as some race, religion or special group, just treat them all the same, like some of them, don't like some of them and that is the way it should be, just treat people as humans not some special group or a special individual. in my opinion, if someone is offended by some words then they should attend a class. we have become a nation of victims who now understand how this deal works and all they do is complain about this or that and play this game to the hilt. what this guy said at a private gathering is not something people should be upset about no matter if he sits on our board, just nothing to be concerned about or be worried about. this is blown way out of proportion. if you do not think that liberals, who made this thing up, do not sit around saying things about others, then you are living with your head in the sand, it goes on everywhere by all people. if you do not like this, that is OK but it is not something that is life or death or that bad and certainly not something to get on a soapbox and say it is not acceptable and you should pay for your words. it is silly and ignorant and divisive not a good thing.

Anach, I share your thoughts on the matter.

Spinner, I don't disagree with you that it seems at times that certain groups get more attention or are placed on a pedestal in some ways by the media, society, or whoever. I also agree that it can get annoying and get be blown out of proportion. But I think you're projecting your resentment of that situation and of the people you call "victims" onto the bigger picture here.

You said "I treat people as people not as some race, religion or special group, just treat them all the same… just treat people as humans not some special group or a special individual."

I certainly agree with that, which is why I think it's a little disingenuous to suggest that it's somehow ok to make fun of people because they are gay, fat, ugly, or whatever. Unless you're suggesting that you routinely make fun of everyone for whatever deficiencies they have, too. There's a big difference in my book between joking around with people and being funny in a good-natured way vs. making off-color jokes or statements that are demeaning or derogatory.

In the specific Queally case, I think I might have a different opinion about it if he and Barney Frank or Hillary Clinton were longtime friends who made jokes like that at each other's expense regularly. But since they aren't, it takes on a little different tone.

I very much disagree with you that people who are offended by "some words should attend a class." Maybe the people who say offending words should attend a class instead?

And I disagree that you should never be held accountable for your words. Unfortunately, if you say something stupid, you risk being held accountable for it by someone.

my feeling is that since this deal was created, everyone cries at the least thing that is said or done, they know how the game is played and they play it up, take advantage. they should go to some class. think public figures are fair game just as a friend may be so do not feel that those two jokes were in anyway out of line in the environment in which he made them. just feel that the entire country is walking around on egg shells afraid to even open their mouths because someone might feel offended even if there is nothing there. no matter, if they are in a protected group, they win, cannot lose, so they play the game. it is just a stupid deal. all people should be treated alike not differently but this made up deal, does the opposite.

This post was edited on 2/24 6:31 PM by WebSpinner

Queally has appologized, it was in a unique situation, that's good enough for me.

This post was edited on 2/24 8:38 PM by URFan1

This topic is not really relevant to this board. I suggest we move it to the Basketball board.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT