ADVERTISEMENT

Rams Part 2 - Scouting Report?

MidloTrader

Team Manager
Mar 13, 2010
Unlike that group down on Broad St, this group of Rams normally crash the boards and can get 2nd chances and a lot of points in the paint. At least they did it to us up there late last season. And that was a group not having as good a season as they are this year. Even with it being a home game, this is a difficult matchup for us, and I'm sure they've studied the tape already from last night. I can only hope our team will find some energy for the full 40 minutes on Sunday. And maybe Coach Carrell drew up a play for us to run where we can actually get a lead (CM in postgame interview said he handed him one). Not familiar with all URI's weapons and how they're playing this year, so can anyone give a scouting report?

URI's big guards killed us last year. EC Matthews has been slowed by injury, but huge guard Jared Terrell was a freshman of the week last week and coming on strong. Need to attack Biruta as he will get in foul trouble. Need to keep Hassan Martin off the glass and not allow him to drive to the hoop. Disappointing first half effort. Human nature said that LaSalle game would be a let down, and players talked about not letting it happen, but it did. I thought ANO played well but the rest of our front court got dominated in the first half. Complete opposite of the LaSalle game last year.

Checking out "THE RAMS'" starters, both guards Jared Terrell #64 and E. C. Matthews #101 were ranked coming out of high school; Hassan Martin, a big guy, was ranked #124. After the top 10 or so, don't think these rankings mean much, but for those of you who do, there you are. Hope we bring our "A" game, because if we do we can play with anyone.
smile.r191677.gif

The league should have a rule against having 3 teams with the same mascot. Maybe they should go to Rams 1, Rams 2...

I've said it before I'll say it again. Color coded.
The red Rams of Fordham
The blue Rams of Rhode Island
And the black sheep of the A-10

And I believe Avila plays for the only other Ramd in Division I.

This shouldn't be particularly close if we play the way we have been lately. Rhody is a good team, but one that has gotten fat against the dregs of the A-10. And even with that, it has two wins against Fordham by a total of 4 points. That ought to tell us all we need to know. But throw in for good measure a road loss at UMass and a one-point road win at Duquesne, and the picture gets clearer.

Like us, they play well at home. Unlike us, they will not be playing at home tomorrow.

If we stay close in rebounding and keep them from getting easy ones in the paint, think we have a good shot. But we have to get off to a good start.

One good thing is they seem to play better the more you try to speed them up. I don't expect us to do that tomorrow.

You guys sound pretty naive as basketball fans! This can't be the main UR message board, is it? To say that Richmond is going to beat URI by double digits is hilarious and one guy thinks you will drop 70+ on Rhody

One team broke the 70 point mark against URI and that was Kansas on a neutral court, they scored 76. Rhody came out stiff in the first half, then outplayed them in the second. No other team in 19 other games could do it and most couldn't even break 60. I'm guessing your high powered offensive juggernaut of a team will figure out how to break one of the best defensive teams in the country,... That's sarcasm for you guys from the south BTW. If the Spidermen or whatever you guys are win, which is very possible because like Rhody you play very well at home, it will be a very close grind out win. I think Rhody takes it 62-58... It's just very funny to read this lame scouting thread and have no mention of one of the best defensive teams in the country.

URI's Defensive Rankings:

Scoring-
A10- #1
National- #13

FG%-
A10- #1
National-#28

Blocks-
A10- #1
National #9

Overall-
A10- #1
National- #23

Good luck today Daddy Long Legs!!!

Rhody is a half game out of first. It's our job to make sure they don't get there.......To Keep RPI in first? They kind of churns in my stomach but it is what it is. Go Spiders.

yea because you guys are true road warriors. We would be undefeated or close to it vs that slate of garbage you faced in the A10. Coming from a team who's best road win is at St. Louis and struggling to beat Duqueen by ONE point I'm not sure you can expect to be confident about winning at our house. You need to come up with something better then those padded stats. This is a home game not at your place or on a neutral court which would likely yield a different result. Hell our road record is abysmal and we still have more quality road wins then you. You're best win is at home vs a GW team that got lucky to beat us at their pad. Hope you come back after the game.

Close first half with the Spiders pulling away late.
Spiders 68
2nd rate A10 Rams 57

I view this game as another "padded" win to bloat Rhody's A10 record. I hate to give you a reality check, but you trending to a 9th place finish. I hope you guys make it to Brooklyn this year.

Spider go boom

Rhody is good defensively, no doubt, but as mentioned, it's not exactly been impressive on the road against anyone, and it hasn't exactly faced a bunch of worldbeaters on the road, either.

If we lose, come back and gloat. I will be the first in line to congratulate you.

Originally posted by MongoURI:
I view this game as another "padded" win to bloat Rhody's A10 record. I hate to give you a reality check, but you trending to a 9th place finish. I hope you guys make it to Brooklyn this year.

Spider go boom
I will wager eight legger's new ranch that we make it to Brooklyn.

Rhody has played 10 teams with an RPI of 175 or worse. It is 2-5 against the RPI top-100, with the only two wins at home in close games vs. GW and Lasalle...both teams we should have beaten on the road.

We both played Bona at home. We won by 19, Rhody won by 5.

Gee, I used to think like this when I was 12 years old.
Any real fans know, basketball is a game of matchups.
This "we won by 20 and you won by 5 means we beat you by 15", is a
non basketball idea..
Xavier Munford drove Little Anthony out of his mind last year.
Anthony went 2-20 and zero assists. URI lead by 27 points at one time.
Guess what, creepy crawlers? URI is a far better team this year than last.
Wait until you see 6'3" 225lb. Jared Terrell shut down Ant-Man.
Wait until you see Hassan Martin swating them back into your faces.
And all this will happen with a half speed EC Matthews, who has been injured since
December 31st.
GO, RHODY!

Amen Farto.. Love your thinking... Can't wait to see these daddy long legs get their leg pulled off one by one!!

EL Farto Blasto at your service!
The creepy crawlers have no idea what's coming at them today.
HAVOC NORTH.

This post was edited on 2/8 11:49 AM by ElFartoBlasto

Drawing on last years game is pointless. Both teams are so different that I don't see how that helps. Our tourney dreams were dashed right before the trip to URI and Kendall was coming off probably his 6th straight 39+ minute game.

URI is a good team, but using what happened last year doesn't work for this matchup

some very good ones to be truthful -- also some all american athletes, professional entertainers, and many more. great place to live

I have a friend who moved there last year, and she loves it.
Says it's a great place to raise her family.
She doesn't miss the 22" snow storms back in New England, either.
Virginia has some very beautiful places, and generally speaking, the people
are much friendlier than in the Northeast.
This post was edited on 2/8 12:18 PM by ElFartoBlasto

Haven't seen RI play but by the numbers kinda like LaSalle with a stingy defense. Good against the 3PT shot in not giving up many points that way! Hopefully CM finds a way to go inside as much as possible, if not better be a good day for UR from the outside. I really like to see ANO and TJ in there from the start to see how it plays out? Bring DT in when say SDJ comes in for TD.

Congratulations Rams. Your free throw defense was definitely the difference today. And a cheap shot elbow to Alonzo did not hurt.

Classy congratulatory post Eight Legger....

Both teams shot 37 free throws.... URI shot 57% from the line, Richmond shot 65%.

Free throw defense made no difference, as usual your logic is flawed.

We really missed Alonzo in this one but Rhody was impressive. Matthews is a very smooth player. If they can keep building their resume, they can dance and win a game there.

RUI deserved the win as they withstood a valiant short handed effort by the Spiders. Eight what cheap shot they looked at and CM accepted the verdict. But Zo out made a difference in our rebounding, defense in the paint and he would have made difference in our Bigs rotation. Having worked with Retinal surgeons for years, I am more concerned with the level of seriousness with the "eye contusion".

Originally posted by Gopher+RamFan:
Classy congratulatory post Eight Legger....

Both teams shot 37 free throws.... URI shot 57% from the line, Richmond shot 65%.

Free throw defense made no difference, as usual your logic is flawed.
Sorry, didnt know I had to clear my post with a Lamb fan. FT shooting made all the difference. We are a strong FT shooting team and usyally make them at a much higher percentage than we did t o day. Had we shot the way we normally do, we would have won. Go back to your hole, Norwood.

Mongo like win.... You however did score over 70 + so touché. Great game, the blue Rams do what they do best, grind out wins however they can. Remember, you guys will be seeing Hassan and EC for 2 1/2 years more. Hopefully see you in Brooklyn you eight legged insects.

Ba ba booey!!!

Originally posted by MongoURI:
Mongo like win.... You however did score over 70 + so touché. Great game, the blue Rams do what they do best, grind out wins however they can. Remember, you guys will be seeing Hassan and EC for 2 1/2 years more. Hopefully see you in Brooklyn you eight legged insects.

Ba ba booey!!!
Does this guy not realize that every single team plays in Brooklyn now? Or does he want URI to play us again in Brooklyn?

This post was edited on 2/8 6:24 PM by fan2011

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing good to come out of Rhode Island was Roger Williams and the Baptists!

If my memory is correct, back in the late 1970s UR and URI got into a huge fist fight on the basketball court.

Back in the mid 1980s, while playing at Rhode Island, an old URI fan threatened some of our football players with his cane and screamed "Go home you unreconstructed Confederates!"

We should've had General Spidey go after him!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT