ADVERTISEMENT

Question

Bicker? Wow. Did not realize that was bickering. So, just to recap. I posted something. You replied to it. Then, I replied to you, and that means I am bickering? So, just so I know, next time I post, you can reply to it and say what you want, but I should not reply back? Okay. Whatever.

Obviously, McKillop has done a great job at Davidson and they should feel fortunate to still have him, but did you know he has yet to win an NCAA tourney game (0-3) or an NIT game (0-3) since Davidson moved to the A-10 8 seasons ago? 2008 is the only season McKillop won an NCAA tourney game, when he won 3 with Steph. Overall, including Davidson, in 33 seasons, he has 3 NCAA tourney wins, same as Mooney, and 2 NIT wins, one less than Mooney. Not getting on him at all because I like him and think he is a great coach, but I think this is pretty interesting. Fair question: would our fans be disgruntled if we went dancing 5 times from 2009-2022, but did not win an NCAA tourney game since 2008?
So since Davidson has joined the A10 in 2014, he has gone to the NCAA 3x, correct and NIT 3x. Six out of eight seasons he has taken the Wildcats to a post season. He may not have won a game but he certainly surpasses Mooney in NCAA/NIT appearances in those same 8 years. Mooney obviously has won more post season games IF he ever gets there. More times you are in the NCAA, the odds are Davidson will turn those losses to wins.

Last edited:
So since Davidson has joined the A10 in 2014, he has gone to the NCAA 3x, correct and NIT 3x. Six out of eight seasons he has taken the Wildcats to a post season. He may not have won a game but he certainly surpasses Mooney in NCAA/NIT appearances in those same 8 years. Mooney obviously has won more post season games IF he ever gets there.
Yes, since Davidson joined the A-10, McKillop 3 NCAAs and 3 NITs. Same time frame, Mooney has 1 NCAA and 3 NITs. McKillop has 0 NCAA and NIT wins and Mooney has 1 NCAA win and 5 NIT wins. Also, in 2020, Mooney went 14-4 and 24-7 while Davidson went 10-8 and 16-14.

Reactions: SpiderDogg
Yes, since Davidson joined the A-10, McKillop 3 NCAAs and 3 NITs. Same time frame, Mooney has 1 NCAA and 3 NITs. McKillop has 0 NCAA and NIT wins and Mooney has 1 NCAA win and 5 NIT wins. Also, in 2020, Mooney went 14-4 and 24-7 while Davidson went 10-8 and 16-14.
2020 is “big should have been” year that COVID threw out the window. I think we are at two totally different perspectives here. Post season appearances vs post season record. It depends on which butt cheek you want to scratch. Personally I am more impressed with McKillop coming from a weaker conference and immediately having success with the A10 and a 75% post season rate and a 38% NCAA rate. At this pace he will start winning. Personally I think McKillop dreads playing UR due to our success against them the last few years.

It’s certainly meaningful to actually win in the tourney but at least half the excitement is all the fanfare with getting in. So I’d sign up for more appearances and fewer wins. Plus I think those repeat appearances raise your profile and help you consistently recruit rather than it being spiky which I expect would ultimately lead to wins.

Bicker? Wow. Did not realize that was bickering. So, just to recap. I posted something. You replied to it. Then, I replied to you, and that means I am bickering? So, just so I know, next time I post, you can reply to it and say what you want, but I should not reply back? Okay. Whatever.

Your honor, presenting exhibit A into evidence of the demise of the SpiderNation message board.

It’s certainly meaningful to actually win in the tourney but at least half the excitement is all the fanfare with getting in. So I’d sign up for more appearances and fewer wins. Plus I think those repeat appearances raise your profile and help you consistently recruit rather than it being spiky which I expect would ultimately lead to wins.
No doubt, the run getting to the tournament is awesome. Winning the A-10 tourney is special, and if you are an at large, how cool to hear your name called on Selection Sunday. I was comparing us to Davidson since someone mentioned McKillop and thought the comparisons of the programs was interesting. I didn't even realize it had been since 2008 that Davidson won an NCAA or NIT game. I just think after 14 years, Davidson fans would probably say it's time to win an NCAA tourney game and not just get there. But, I see both sides here, and don't think it's an obvious choice one way or the other. You could go back to 2008, and Davidson could say they made the Elite 8. Then, start from 2010, and advantage Richmond because we went back to back dancing with a sweet 16. Then, if you start from when Davidson joined the A-10, do you take 3 NCAAs and 3 NITs with 0 wins, or 1 NCAA and 3 NITs with 1 NCAA win, and 5 NIT wins? I think it's very fair to answer either way here.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
No doubt, the run getting to the tournament is awesome. Winning the A-10 tourney is special, and if you are an at large, how cool to hear your name called on Selection Sunday. I was comparing us to Davidson since someone mentioned McKillop and thought the comparisons of the programs was interesting. I didn't even realize it had been since 2008 that Davidson won an NCAA or NIT game. I just think after 14 years, Davidson fans would probably say it's time to win an NCAA tourney game and not just get there. But, I see both sides here, and don't think it's an obvious choice one way or the other. You could go back to 2008, and Davidson could say they made the Elite 8. Then, start from 2010, and advantage Richmond because we went back to back dancing with a sweet 16. Then, if you start from when Davidson joined the A-10, do you take 3 NCAAs and 3 NITs with 0 wins, or 1 NCAA and 3 NITs with 1 NCAA win, and 5 NIT wins? I think it's very fair to answer either way here.
love Coach Bob but I will say Davidson didn't look terribly prepaerd against Mich State this year .. was a touch surprised.

Reactions: Zeeter and urfan1
You can't compare the A10, one of the top 10 leagues with 15 teams to the CAA https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/conferences/colonial/1988.html. The CAA was a very week league. Often we were competing with only 1 or 2 decent teams for the conference championship.

With that said, I think we can consistently be in the top 6 giving us potential for a post season appearance.
I'd bet 7 teams think they should be top 6 every year, 6 other teams think they should be top 6 every other year. and the bottom 2 think they should be top 6 every 3 or 4 years.

of course ... the math doesn't add up.

Many may think they can be, but how many are actually devoting the necessary resources TO be? I would say that we are one of those that is, so it's a fair expectation for us. Less fair for LaSalle or Fordham, for example.

Last edited:
agreed, stars have to line up for LaSalle and Fordham.

but Richmond, VCU, Davidson, Dayton, SLU, SBU and Loyola Chicago expect to be there every year.
GW, GMU, URI, UMASS, SJU and Duquesne are going to be in there sometimes.

URI and Umass with splashy hires. WIll be interesting to see if they can get up and running immediately. I saw at least one national writer listed Umass as a top 10 portal class. Dayton is loaded. Loyola should be good. Davidson has some nice pieces and Loyer is back. SLU is getting top 25 mentions. And Mark Schmidt.

Should be strong A10 this year.

Far and away, the vast majority of negative posts on this board aren't about the coach or the players. It's the pompous "words can hurt" crowd with all their negative comments about other posters who apparently don't know their place.

I've earned my degree, and paid my bucks. I have the right to post my thoughts and beliefs.

Some of you ladies need to grow a pair...

Some of you ladies need to grow a pair...
giphy.gif

No, it has never occurred to me. The board was "negative" because we missed the NCAAs for a decade straight. Presumably most recruits want to play in an NCAA tournament. Now that we have made it again and won a game, most of us are pretty happy but also interested in seeing whether we take the ball and run with it or fall back into purgatory for another decade. So far so good.
Didn’t you hear? We’re not allowed to be negative no matter how long the team didn’t make the tournament. It’s all about competing.

Didn’t you hear? We’re not allowed to be negative no matter how long the team didn’t make the tournament. It’s all about competing.
In all other facets of life it is entirely unacceptable but for Richmond basketball we are supposed to be fine with it. My wife cheated on me for a decade but damn this past Father's Day she got me a really really nice new tie so now everything is great 😍

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT