ADVERTISEMENT

Question

EL, I will try to help you out since you are having such a hard time with this. You earlier left out a key word: influenced. First, you only quoted "had to be", and added "based on nothing?" in your reply as if that is all he said and he was saying 100% had to be. Then, you quoted "had to be, at least slightly" and said that would be like saying "definitely probably". But, let's look at exactly what he said: "had to be influenced, at least slightly". Wow, that changes everything doesn't it? You see, influence does not have to be 100%. You can be slightly influenced by something. And it is very common for most everyone (except you I guess) to say or think someone or something had to be "slightly influenced" by something. Just look it up. I am sure you will find the phrase all over the place. So, as I often have to say with you, just take the L here and stop making it worse for yourself. LOL.

I don't have any information on Bryce not coming here ( in my opinion, like lots of younger brothers, he didn't want to follow his big brother, and wanted to go somewhere different), but if anyone remembers Sean and Mike Glennon, Mike did not go to Va Tech because of the way his older brother Sean was treated by VT fans. So, it is possible for a bunch of negative fans out there to influence a kid's decision.
Using your reasoning especially your last sentence - isn’t it just as possible that fans’ posting have absolutely nothing to do with influencing recruits?

Possible - It’s like saying that it’s possible that it’ll snow in Miami tomorrow.

We can all post in the world of hypotheticals and use semantics to advance an argument.

Really? It "had to be?" Based upon nothing? Come on man.
** Get ready for the attacks on 4700 for " arguing with EL" when it was this ill advised reply above that caused me to take up for a poster that I feel was being unfairly attacked with misleading, inaccurate responses. Then, as is often the case with he him, EL replies with more inaccurate, misleading stuff. So, get on me for responding if you want, but I see nothing wrong with pointing that out.

EL, I will try to help you out since you are having such a hard time with this. You earlier left out a key word: influenced. First, you only quoted "had to be", and added "based on nothing?" in your reply as if that is all he said and he was saying 100% had to be. Then, you quoted "had to be, at least slightly" and said that would be like saying "definitely probably". But, let's look at exactly what he said: "had to be influenced, at least slightly". Wow, that changes everything doesn't it? You see, influence does not have to be 100%. You can be slightly influenced by something. And it is very common for most everyone (except you I guess) to say or think someone or something had to be "slightly influenced" by something. Just look it up. I am sure you will find the phrase all over the place. So, as I often have to say with you, just take the L here and stop making it worse for yourself. LOL.
Explain it in a little more detail please, I'm almost there.

Using your reasoning especially your last sentence - isn’t it just as possible that fans’ posting have absolutely nothing to do with influencing recruits?

Possible - It’s like saying that it’s possible that it’ll snow in Miami tomorrow.

We can all post in the world of hypotheticals and use semantics to advance an argument.
Strange post. Of course it is possible that fans have nothing to do with influencing recruits. I would say this is by far the more common scenario. Geez, my last sentence says "possible", but I also had just finished given an example of an actual event, which is why I said it was possible, yet you get on me for saying possible? And, I didn't just say "possible", I said, "So, it is possible". You know, so, as in therefore. As in giving some information and saying therefore, because of that information, it is possible that an event can occur. My goodness, some of you need to take a reading comprehension course.

Last edited:
I know I’m personally shocked that every post turns into an argument with two sides refusing to compromise. Fortunately this is the only place that occurs…

• Haha
Reactions: Zeeter and plydogg
I think UR80 was unfairly attacked, and attacked with misleading, inaccurate information so I chose to defend him and call that out. You can say there is lot of arguing going on, but look at the responses UR80 got to his post. If we want this board to be a better place with less arguing, couldn't people have disagreed in a better way?

Last edited:
Strange post. Of course it is possible that fans have nothing to do with influencing recruits. I would say this is by far the more common scenario. Geez, my last sentence says "possible", but I also had just finished given an example of an actual event, which is why I said it was possible, yet you get on me for saying possible? And, I didn't just say "possible", I said, "So, it is possible". You know, so, as in therefore. As in giving some information and saying therefore, because of that information, it is possible that an event can occur. My goodness, some of you need to take a reading comprehension course.
"My goodness, some of you need to take a reading comprehension course."

What a self-righteous statement but not unexpected. Having read your blow-backs with others, this fits in just fine.

Weak sauce. Read any board, lots more negative than ours. But somehow they get recruits.
You’ve been on this board since 02 and we’ve never gotten highly rated recruits? The highest two have been Sal and Wilson… I’m sure you want more 4 stars like them!!

"My goodness, some of you need to take a reading comprehension course."

What a self-righteous statement but not unexpected. Having read your blow-backs with others, this fits in just fine.
LOL. Instead of realizing and admitting how ridiculous your original post was, you reply with this? Whatever.

LOL. Instead of realizing and admitting how ridiculous your original post was, you reply with this? Whatever.
Ok Professor Whatever. You just reinforced my point. This is the first time I've gotten into anything with a poster on this site. You - certainly not, as it's your standard operating procedure of antagonizing & alienating fellow posters. Then you sprinkle in a bunch of persecution complex posts when the board members challenge you & don't take your side or reject your positions. Bottom line - you are always right, and the rest of us aren't.

This is off season board behavior. Nothing to discuss much so degenerate into senseless snideness and bickering over non-issues.

We are better than this. Disarm. Go Spiders!

PS Comment not directed at you 8Legs1dream, but much of what came before.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8legs1dream
This is off season board behavior. Nothing to discuss much so degenerate into senseless snideness and bickering over non-issues.

We are better than this. Disarm. Go Spiders!

PS Comment not directed at you 8Legs1dream, but much of what came before.
But, are we really better than this? Look at the replies to UR80's post. He did not attack anyone, he did not call anyone out. Not even close. Yet, look at the replies. He even, unlike so many on here who post opinions as fact, mentioned that he did not have any inside info before sharing an opinion. Whether you agree or disagree with what he said, there was not a thing wrong with how he said it. But, again, look at the replies he got. As long as we have people who reply like that on here, we will never be better than this. This board is what it is. It has been this way for years and nothing will change.

I have inside information that Grant Golden stayed at Richmond 6 years, even when Kentucky was interested in him grad transferring.

I do not have any inside information but would think Bryce Golden's brother would be more of an influence on his decision to attend/not attend Richmond than any person/comment/thread on this board.

After 6 years away, I'm getting the hang of the offseason again.

Well, we had a great message board for a long time, whatever this place has become isn’t a great message board.

Reactions: VT4700
Well, we had a great message board for a long time, whatever this place has become isn’t a great message board.
The last time it devolved into endless bickering, I had to take a couple of years off. At least back then, we sucked. Here we are not three months removed from an A-10 championship and an NCAA win yet I find myself wondering whether it’s time for another break.

You know my fellow Spiders there is an ignore button. Mr Moderator you must be enjoying
all this enlightening conversation. It is hard to tell whether we dislike our rivals more than each other.
I do think I found a relative of FRS.

The last time it devolved into endless bickering, I had to take a couple of years off. At least back then, we sucked. Here we are not three months removed from an A-10 championship and an NCAA win yet I find myself wondering whether it’s time for another break.
That would be a horrible result. All of my comments were in good fun, though I do hate this idea that we can’t be negative at all about our program or players. I’ll ease up.
I’ll look forward to reading about schedule updates and practice sessions in the off-season.

Reactions: CarolinaSpider
Hope you keep fighting the good fight and posting valuable info/facts like you normally do. I'm fine with reasonable debates but over the top and repetitive posts just to attempt to win an argument are unnecessary.

Last edited:
But, are we really better than this? Look at the replies to UR80's post. He did not attack anyone, he did not call anyone out. Not even close. Yet, look at the replies. He even, unlike so many on here who post opinions as fact, mentioned that he did not have any inside info before sharing an opinion. Whether you agree or disagree with what he said, there was not a thing wrong with how he said it. But, again, look at the replies he got. As long as we have people who reply like that on here, we will never be better than this. This board is what it is. It has been this way for years and nothing will change.
Very well articulated VT, although I do believe the board has changed. Since the A10 tournament this board has been a pleasure reading with many thoughtful balanced comments.

This particular thread is relative to a history of the board I hope we do not repeat and my comments on the thread reflected my first 5 years on the board. During this time, I believed the board was used as a tool to get the coach fired, where a high percent of post were highjacks with negative comments on Mooney, the administration, players or anyone positive on the program. During this period the board was also used to coordinate efforts relative to the infamous billboard, which also included contacting the press to get as much negative coverage as possible, to get people to chant fire Mooney at games and write negative comments during the game that was live streamed on Facebook. Finally, I believe members of this board ran other social media sights devoted to negative comments on the coach and administration. During most of this time people positive to the program were not welcome and many of these people stopped participating. Thankfully, we also had a few posters that shared great insights into the program.

All of that is now behind us. We have had 3 years in a row of NCAA or NIT quality teams and our recruiting has been excellent, which gives us hope that this trend will continue. I am very excited about the upcoming season and look forward to reading post from everyone on this board. The past is behind us and lets all focus on the future and our shared love for our basketball program.

Last edited:
Has it ever occurred that possibly recruits see this board and think negatively of Richmond because if it?
First off it's great that Mooney has appeared to regain his coaching magic from 10+ years ago. Couldn't happen IMO to a nicer human being. Wasn't a forum member 10 years ago but honestly was a BIG fan of Mooney.

Okay please no hate, but underachieving for so long by Mooney's squads seemed to have made Mooney lose reality of the situation in being honest to at least the fans of expectations not being met.

POM or whoever, do you not think what was posted negatively basketball wise of Mooney was not a fair assessment of past history results after 2011? I for one don't want to sugarcoat and mislead a young man on such an important decision.

Not unexpected but lol at the two posters initially responding to your question. I was wondering why no UR80 but glad to see he's awake.

Good initial post Carolina!

Reactions: Long Island Spiders
Any chance you could share why my post was LOL worthy? If a post is so silly it gets laughed at, it would be nice to know what was so silly about it. Looks like I simply answered the question that was asked by giving my opinion with no attacking and no calling anyone out. I would think that is why the question was asked....to get our opinions in return. And, some of you think this board could ever change? LOL to that thinking.

Last edited:
I'm fine with reasonable debates but over the top and repetitive posts just to attempt to win an argument are unnecessary.
Been absent for awhile but just noticing the best poster thread. That said from your above comment could we ascertain this to be fair options if we had to pick a winner from who best fits the above posting narrative?

A) 4700
B) any other poster

First off it's great that Mooney has appeared to regain his coaching magic from 10+ years ago. Couldn't happen IMO to a nicer human being. Wasn't a forum member 10 years ago but honestly was a BIG fan of Mooney.

Okay please no hate, but underachieving for so long by Mooney's squads seemed to have made Mooney lose reality of the situation in being honest to at least the fans of expectations not being met.

POM or whoever, do you not think what was posted negatively basketball wise of Mooney was not a fair assessment of past history results after 2011? I for one don't want to sugarcoat and mislead a young man on such an important decision.

Not unexpected but lol at the two posters initially responding to your question. I was wondering why no UR80 but glad to see he's awake.

Good initial post Carolina!
I don’t think so personally. Think it would be very difficult for any coach at UR to be one of the best 2 or 3 teams consistently in the A10… just my thoughts

Reactions: Spiders4ever
I don’t think so personally. Think it would be very difficult for any coach at UR to be one of the best 2 or 3 teams consistently in the A10… just my thoughts
I don’t think most people expected top 2-3 year in and year out, most folks just want an ncaa visit once every four years or so.

Part of the challenge on the board is that there’s a wide spread of expectations and a subsequent wide array of reactions to whether or not the program is meeting them.

Truth above.

The past negativism of the board, which some continually condemn and bemoan, was a direct reaction to not making the NCAA's for a decade given our proud past in preceding decades. Add in UR was the ONLY D-1 school in the country to not make the NCAA's in a decade while retaining the same coach. What does that say about the school's true commitment to sports success? Folks were pissed and justifiably so. Most fans/contributors have higher expectations.

Sincerely hope Mooney and the board have turned the corner. On the first count, we make the NCAA's at least every 4 years. On the latter, we fans are realistic in our expectations and focus on the positives.

Last edited:
Loser mentality. UR can do so much better with the right leadership in place. Why some are so willing to accept underwhelming results is ridiculous to me.
McKillop and Davidson have not missed a beat going from SOCON to A10 maintaining high academic standards. Just
proves to UR, it can consistently be done. Davidson seems to have good success reloading each year.

Obviously, McKillop has done a great job at Davidson and they should feel fortunate to still have him, but did you know he has yet to win an NCAA tourney game (0-3) or an NIT game (0-3) since Davidson moved to the A-10 8 seasons ago? 2008 is the only season McKillop won an NCAA tourney game, when he won 3 with Steph. Overall, including Davidson, in 33 seasons, he has 3 NCAA tourney wins, same as Mooney, and 2 NIT wins, one less than Mooney. Not getting on him at all because I like him and think he is a great coach, but I think this is pretty interesting. Fair question: would our fans be disgruntled if we went dancing 5 times from 2009-2022, but did not win an NCAA tourney game since 2008?

Last edited:
Reactions: urfan1
Obviously, McKillop has done a great job at Davidson and they should feel fortunate to still have him, but did you know he has yet to win an NCAA tourney game (0-3) or an NIT game (0-3) since Davidson moved to the A-10 8 seasons ago? 2008 is the only season McKillop won an NCAA tourney game, when he won 3 with Steph. Overall, including Davidson, in 33 seasons, he has 3 NCAA tourney wins, same as Mooney, and 2 NIT wins, one less than Mooney. Not getting on him at all because I like him and think he is a great coach, but I think this is pretty interesting. Fair question: would our fans be disgruntled if we went dancing 5 times from 2009-2022, but did not win an NCAA tourney game since 2008?
Answered your own question. McKillop dances more frequently than CM. Yeah, we'd take that. Not realistic to expect Davidson or UR to make Elite 8 or win the whole thing. Just get there...that is the golden ring for our and similar programs. Be relevant consistently. In contrast, we have been pretty consistently irrelevant.

The tournament is a crapshoot. It's all about matchups. But you have to get there first before you can complain about that. Sign me up for a bunch of NCAA appearances with no wins as opposed to not making it at all.
Well, no doubt as opposed to not making it at all, but what about as opposed to making it 3 times, with 3 wins, including a sweet 16? I would think at some point Davidson fans would like to win another tourney game.

Answered your own question. McKillop dances more frequently than CM. Yeah, we'd take that. Not realistic to expect Davidson or UR to make Elite 8 or win the whole thing. Just get there...that is the golden ring for our and similar programs. Be relevant consistently. In contrast, we have been pretty consistently irrelevant.
Davidson not winning a tourney game since 2008 would be like if we did not beat Syracuse and South Carolina, and did not win a tourney game for that long after our sweet 16 year in 1988. I would think at some point, had we lost to Syracuse and SC, we would be ready to win one of those, and not be happy with just getting there. So, in 14 seasons, would you really rather have 5 dances with no wins than 3 dances with a sweet 16 and a round of 32?

Reactions: Long Island Spiders
Lot of pre Mooney history in there that is irrelevant to the discussion.

Enjoyed the discussion, but going to bed. Bicker with some other poster.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT