ADVERTISEMENT

PSA: "MOVE THE CHAINS" Gang

MolivaManiac

Spider's Club
Feb 8, 2004
I know Spencer Percy of the Spider Club spoke with many of you about this campaign in the lots at the Spring Game on Saturday. For those of you that don't know, this is a grassroots effort to get the football facilities in the Robins Center completed- locker rooms, sports medicine, coaches offices, etc.

MOVE THE CHAINS initially started with a goal of $250k in commitments (over 5 year period) to get football coaches offices completed. The response has been really, really good and now we are just $500k short of completing the entire project, highlighted by C and D here:

http://www.richmondspiders.com/fls/26800/ElevateCampaign.pdf

The purpose of the program is not to replace your existing Spider Club Annual Fund donations, rather to give a little bit more to get this work done, keep our Spiders in the national conversation for FCS football and make Dan Rocco eat crow.

If you can pitch in, please reach out to Spencer to make a pledge. The response to this has blown me away, thus far. This would send an important message about the value of football and athletics at UR to our coaches, to the President, the Board and to the rest of the CAA.

Here is Spencer's contact information. When you reach out to Spencer, please refence MOVE THE CHAINS.

Spencer Percy
spercy@richmond.edu

I can tell you that as an alum, athletics is where most of my donations will go. The school needs to be more vocal about the different initiatives that they want to achieve. I feel like many people who aren't in the "loop" don't really know the types of vision for the athletic department, which can deter the amount of donations made to them. Also, I'm glad efforts are being made now, but if we don't keep it up, we'll fall behind on the football landscape. I think I've mentioned this before in a post made while back, but I think (money limitations aside) that tearing down the milheiser gym and or the old admissions building to build a multi-sports athlete complex would be huge. I can only dream though

Reactions: Spidermaniac
Bump. Fairly surprised this garnered no discussion.
Me too...just finished getting on board...will be sending in my and The Sheriff's pledge on Monday...

think our guys and coaching staff deserve the best we (the University and its football fans can provide)...want our battles with the Dukes, Indians and Chickens to be fought on as level a playing field as we can provide...

if you can help, go for it!...as Moliva indicated it seems to be going well, but your pledge will help us get there more quickly...

Go Spiders!
The Spider Gang Group Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/127760237246257/

This is a great opportunity for each of us to step up and make a pledge that can be honored over a five year period. Our football program needs support in order to maintain the level of play we have enjoyed. I challenge all local fans to at least get on board with some type of donation that will be specifically donated to football. it's the least we can do to support a program that gives us great pride and many enjoyable Saturdays in the Fall. Let's all help to Move the Chains!

Yes. And weight room. Please pitch in.

I spoke to someone in the AD office who said that funds have been raised for this and renovations will happen after this football season. Do they still need money for these projects specifically? How are the funds going for the other elevate campaign projects? Getting the baseball field grandstands would be nice.

PS. I am a Spider club member and donate what I can

Frustrated. Over the years I have donated to a couple areas of UR, and especially the athletic
programs and this is the first I have seen anything.
I'm not saying I didn't get it once, but I am saying that I haven't seen it enough to know that Elevated
Campaign is such a terrific opportunity to support.

Hey Mo, thanks for doing the marketing. :)

I'm here to help. :)

Please pitch in on whatever level that you can. We need to get this done. We're close.

I heard this afternoon that we are continuing to make great progress on this campaign. I also understand that it got some good publicity at the breakfast with Huesman last Friday. A few more commitments might put us over the top...

Glad to hear we are getting close. Thanks to Mo and Spencer at Spider Club for all their work and dedication to this campaign.

Any money going to the equipment room & the equipment budget? Heard it will end up shrinking to about 1/3 of the size it once was with all the new renovations. Maybe that's why the head guy is calling it quits 1 week before Sammy St.

Any money going to the equipment room & the equipment budget? Heard it will end up shrinking to about 1/3 of the size it once was with all the new renovations. Maybe that's why the head guy is calling it quits 1 week before Sammy St.
what are you saying?

i don't know anything about the departure of the equipment manager but the existing equipment room is far larger than is needed. No idea about the budget, itself. This campaign is about capital improvements.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to Move the Chains. I got word today that the construction will start in mid-January and the football locker room, weight room and sports medicine area will be done in July 2018. Very impressive timeframe. The entire project is expected to be completed around the end of 2018.

31 of us contributed to Move the Chains and it was important in getting this deal off the ground. I can't wait to see their mess this spring.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT