ADVERTISEMENT

Presbyterian

BillyWayne

Star
May 6, 2003
Next Tuesday at noon. Be there in time for the National Anthem sung by Richmond's own Evan McKeel, a finalist on The Voice.

I plan to be there and to be as LOUD as one fan can be. Am hoping we may be sending out vouchers for $5 tickets or free tickets for season-ticket-holders to bring a guest. Anything to jack-up attendance for this game, because this one has the potential to be very sparsely attended and very quiet. Let's make sure this FEELS like an away/road game for Presby, even with the students away and a lot of our local fans at work.

The attendance for these Christmas week games is always better than people expect. We'll be there.

I plan to be there and to be as LOUD as one fan can be. Am hoping we may be sending out vouchers for $5 tickets or free tickets for season-ticket-holders to bring a guest. Anything to jack-up attendance for this game, because this one has the potential to be very sparsely attended and very quiet. Let's make sure this FEELS like an away/road game for Presby, even with the students away and a lot of our local fans at work.

They did give out many 5$ vouchers for this game at several of the previous games. I am bringing 8 people.

So I know RPI rankings mean little, but Presbyterian comes in at #349. OSC

Actually, I think at this point of season, very low RPI rankings like Presbyterian has, are much more meaningful, than disparate high rankings, such as Incarnate Word, enjoys.

Actually, I think at this point of season, very low RPI rankings like Presbyterian has, are much more meaningful, than disparate high rankings, such as Incarnate Word, enjoys.
Whoa, TB! Incarnate Word just beat St. John's by 22 points. Oh! Everybody is beating St. John's by 22! Sorry. :D

Last edited:
Well we could be playing number 350 Central Connecticut State or 351 Liberty - reminds me of the old "Limbo" song - how low can you go?

Some school on Broad Street is playing 351 Liberty on the 27th....................

The nice thing about being #351 in RPI, is there is nowhere to go, but up. Presbyterian at #349 is well positioned as well, can't fall much more, and could wind up rising. Indeed, even if Presbyterian loses to UR by 60 points, their RPI will probably rise, because of SOS. Unfortunately, ours will probably fall a little.

RPI Forecast predicts that playing and beating Presby will cost us about 10 spots in the RPI at the end of the year. They predict us at 62 with a record of 19-11, but an RPI of 51 at 18-11 if we simply didn't play this game.

Let's go ahead and crush Presby by the 60 points suggested above, and give our new guys some PT. If our RPI goes down just a bit, so be it. I don't mind having a few games like this one, since one of the goals is to get our bench some quality time. Just hope that we get to see the big margin win AND we get to see the bench "fully cleared," well before the 5-minute mark. This will only happen if our top-7 guys maintain their intensity, their unselfishness, their energy, and their great attitude....Am looking forward to seeing them do exactly that.

I am not concerned about clearing the bench. CM needs to continue molding this years top 8 or so. You can get in trouble real quick clearing a bench too early. I trust CM and his knowledge of how to handle this team. We have great chemistry on this team.

I'm glad that our schedule is going to permit our guys to return home for Christmas. Wishing all Spiders everywhere, a very merry Christmas, and happy and prosperous, New Year.

I am not concerned about clearing the bench. CM needs to continue molding this years top 8 or so. You can get in trouble real quick clearing a bench too early. I trust CM and his knowledge of how to handle this team. We have great chemistry on this team.

But you can also get someone hurt and if the team is that bad they'll get less out of it than they do at practice. I say play the bench.

By the way are they going to be selling lunch type food. I believe last time I was their for a similar game it was popcorn, candy and peanuts only.

Why are we playing this game? If are going to drop 10 spots by beating this team it doesn't make any sense. Thought somebody said we could've had a game at BYU wasn't it? on the road that might've been a much better RPI game for us even if we lost

I know a lot of our players are looking forward to going home for Christmas. Anyone know what our schedule is for practice to prepare for Texas Tech? Will our Texas players have to return to Richmond, before heading down to Lubbock?

I know a lot of our players are looking forward to going home for Christmas. Anyone know what our schedule is for practice to prepare for Texas Tech? Will our Texas players have to return to Richmond, before heading down to Lubbock?

I thought all the players were heading from home to Lubbock?

LOL..."That's a three for Fore, and that makes five for Fore. And it's 11-4."

Melo Trimble from MD sitting behind the PC bench for some reason, I'd say he's scouting for next year's game but probably a top 15 pick, probably a family/friend thing.

I have to believe that scheduling an opponent like Presbyterian (and Stetson, Bethune-Cookman, and Longwood for that matter) really only serves two purposes. To put a W on the ledger, and to get our bench players some valuable court time. If we are winning by more than 20 with less than 5 minutes left, to me there is no reason to keep all of the "big 7" starters and almost starters on the court. Like other posters have said, if this game takes our RPI down by some number of points, the only real upside we can take away other than an easy W is to develop our younger/less experienced players.

If we build a decent lead, we should let the young guys play. Alternately, let them ALL get earlier minutes during the non "mop-up" portions of the game, and save the "mop-up" minutes for the walk-ons.

We either need to be able to depend on these guys to contribute in the future, or we need to know that they just won't ever get there and encourage them to move on. The only way I know of to know that is to let them play.

I have to believe that scheduling an opponent like Presbyterian (and Stetson, Bethune-Cookman, and Longwood for that matter) really only serves two purposes. To put a W on the ledger, and to get our bench players some valuable court time. If we are winning by more than 20 with less than 5 minutes left, to me there is no reason to keep all of the "big 7" starters and almost starters on the court. Like other posters have said, if this game takes our RPI down by some number of points, the only real upside we can take away other than an easy W is to develop our younger/less experienced players.

If we build a decent lead, we should let the young guys play. Alternately, let them ALL get earlier minutes during the non "mop-up" portions of the game, and save the "mop-up" minutes for the walk-ons.

We either need to be able to depend on these guys to contribute in the future, or we need to know that they just won't ever get there and encourage them to move on. The only way I know of to know that is to let them play.

The other reason to play Stetson to play West Virginia, to play Bethune-Cookman to play California...

^^Again, the chief reason to play such teams is to get the easy W. The W's give us the right to play WVU and Cal.

Some of us complain about how some of our players don't develop while they are here, and these games against RPI anchors like Presbyterian should be used as development opportunities, otherwise their value is very questionable.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
Every team in the country plays a couple OOC cupcakes. We played an extremely challenging OOC and deserve a couple easy games like today. Unlike last year, where we were in tight games with some of these cupcakes late into the second half, we are doing what good teams due to poor teams this year, completely dominating them.

I thought Mooney did a really nice job today of getting the true freshman some meaningful time throughout the game.

Another very solid game for Deion. 3/3 FG for 7 points and 5 rebounds. If he can play within himself and contribute this way, we will be a very versatile team come conference play!

Reactions: urfan1
Deion also had three assists, two blocks, and a steal. No turnovers and only one foul.

The key is doing it against tougher competition where we'll need him, but great to see some very solid performances from him this year.

Deion played very well and has for the past several games. Trey also had a nice game. Terry Allen could have scored every time down the court had he wanted to.

This game accomplished all of the objectives that anyone could have hoped for. First, we won by 30 points, which last year's team would not have done. Second, we did get quite a few minutes for quite a few of the newcomers. My favorite part of the game was at the 3:30 mark or so, when we did "empty our bench" of scholarship players (close anyway!) and played our #6-10 guys, together. I paid attention to the score, and we were up by 29 when we put in the "all-newbies" line-up, and they held their own, and were +1 overall, finishing with the 30-point lead. Third, this game may also have established "Pistol" as our #8 guy, and JJ as our #9 guy.
Fourth, my other favorite part of this game was to see Khwan Fore really coming into his own, and beginning to show his outstanding potential. He seems to be feeling more comfortable out there, each game, and showed a really nice "stroke" today, from mid-range and outside. I believe he will be a crowd favorite for the next four years, and is already my favorite Spider to watch. Plus, he seems to really be a "glass-cleaner" on the offensive. Anyone know who leads the team in ORBs per minute, because my vote is with KF. It was also nice to see that our guys, after a rocky start, came back, systematically built the lead, and never took their foot off the accelerator. Finally, the contributions by Deion and Trey, with both playing solidly within themselves, were significant, once again. I really like this team, and they seem to like each-other too.

Take that, religion! When do we play Catholic U, Southern Methodist U and Buddhism U? You guys are TOAST!! (Although I know SMU is actually ranked, but whatever.)

Take that, religion! When do we play Catholic U, Southern Methodist U and Buddhism U? You guys are TOAST!! (Although I know SMU is actually ranked, but whatever.)
That is why we are going to play NORTHERN Methodist...

I liked to see the youngersters get some time. Pres. is in for a long season.

Have a enjoyable, and relaxing Christmas

Fore is third on the team, picking up an offensive rebound every 15.7 minutes. TA gets one every 14.2 minutes, while Wood gets one every 14.3 minutes.

(Actually Kirby has two offensive boards in his 5 minutes on the court, and Dominaus even got one in his single minute played!)

One thing that was obvious today (and has been increasingly so for weeks now) is that Fore is too good to keep off the court. He is in heavy rotation now and deservedly so.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT