ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: New coach

Hope I'm wrong, but this feels exactly like the same kind of decision we ripped on VCU for making with its head coach -- hiring from a pool of about 3 possible candidates who know your program and your system, while ignoring all other possible hires.

Come on man! An assistant coach is just that. This is pretty much is non issue. As stated, main thing is get someone who can recruit and fit in with the rest of the staff.

Last edited:
Assistant coaches - Recruiting and scouting reports on opponents....that pretty much sums it up. With Recruiting being the most important by far.

I agree hiring assistant coaches is not about exciting your fan base. Let's be honest, we don't know who most of these guys are anyway. However, it would have been nice to see CM go a little bit outside the box and go after a candidate that he has not either previously coached or supervised and who might have some established recruiting connections.

There are advantages in that Jenkins is a known quantity, will fit in, and should be a smooth transition. The disadvantage is that we lack a broader diversity of expertise because everyone on our staff owes most of there basketball knowledge to the head coach.

With that said, hopefully Jenkins is the right guy for the job. I don't see any red flags that we should be concerned about.

Well, exciting would be a new coach that specializes in working with "big" men, or has a rep for beating the press, or spent time at the Cuse and had mastered their zone defense. Not that it's a big deal since I like our coach and his style, but if there had been a new twist we would all be adding to the thread.

like our big men aren't developing, and we've had problems with the CHavoc press?

Well, exciting would be a new coach that specializes in working with "big" men, or has a rep for beating the press, or spent time at the Cuse and had mastered their zone defense. Not that it's a big deal since I like our coach and his style, but if there had been a new twist we would all be adding to the thread.
Our big men develop pretty well. We have been one of the best teams in the country at beating the press for years.

Our senior big is not developed offensively but he has another year so we will see. Oh, beating the press is not only getting the ball across half court but also making the opponent pay for pressing. You forgot to address 1-3-1 zone. All in fun.

Our senior big is not developed offensively but he has another year so we will see. Oh, beating the press is not only getting the ball across half court but also making the opponent pay for pressing. You forgot to address 1-3-1 zone. All in fun.

Beating the press is not turning the ball over. We don't turn the ball over. We were 10th best in the country in terms of turnover percentage last year despite playing VCU 3 times.

Our bigs develop. Harper, DWill, TA and even ANO made big strides here. DWill's back injuries hurt him, but before he was injured junior year he was unstoppable, the best post player we have had in the past decade. Harper's growth was undeniable and incredible. TA has grown a bunch as well, as has ANO.

Last year ANO shot 53% from 2pt range, which is in the top 20% of D1 players. He also shot 81% from the line, which is very good. Out of 3500+ D1 players he was 79th in blocking percentage and 115th in defensive rebounding percentage. He also has the highest points per shot attempt on our team.

Good points, 2011. I look for Zo to be even better this year. Our bigs are very, very good.

I'd like for us to be able to recruit a talented big man who doesn't take 3 years to reach something close to his full collegiate potential. Or recruit one who is raw and develop him into someone very talented within a year or year and a half. If Jenkins can help in either area, I welcome him with open arms. If not, I would ask why we didn't hire someone who could.

I know some on this board think we cannot land a player like that and should just be content to land guys who give us 2 average years, 1 good year and potentially 1 very good or great year. And that's fine, I just think we should be aiming higher. In order to build a program, and not just a Sweet 16 team once every 25 years, we need to be getting 2 or 3 solid years of productivity out of our guys, not just 1 or 1+ years.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
You forgot to mention average points and boards, 6.6 and 5.1. Obviously we have different options on developing big men. And what's CM's record against the pressing team downtown? Hey, I get it, there are those here that like the way things are. Sure they want more wins but don't want to change anything to achieve more wins. I would not mind a new assistant coach outside of the same style we have watched through CM's tenure to achieve more wins. I like our coach but adding a new wrinkle or twist with a guy with a unique specialty could not hurt. That's all, fire away.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
You can site all of the stats you want on ANO, but he is about to enter his 5th year in the program, and he is still rushes a ton of shots on offense, brings the ball down low after an offensive rebound and has as many poor or subpar offensive games as he does good ones. Yes, he showed growth this year, particularly shooting FT's, but I still find his offensive game pretty raw.

And the other guys you site did make good improvements as upperclassman, but you forgot to add Duinker, Garrett, Luke P. and Deion Taylor to your list of big men, who some might say did not have as dramatic of improvements.

And let's not get started on rebounding and the fine art of boxing out. Really though, I'm over the big man argument, get me an assistant coach who can recruit. That is what I want. If Jenkins can recruit, I'm sure we will all love him.

You can site all of the stats you want on ANO, but he is about to enter his 5th year in the program, and he is still rushes a ton of shots on offense, brings the ball down low after an offensive rebound and has as many poor or subpar offensive games as he does good ones. Yes, he showed growth this year, particularly shooting FT's, but I still find his offensive game pretty raw.

And the other guys you site did make good improvements as upperclassman, but you forgot to add Duinker, Garrett, Luke P. and Deion Taylor to your list of big men, who some might say did not have as dramatic of improvements.

And let's not get started on rebounding and the fine art of boxing out. Really though, I'm over the big man argument, get me an assistant coach who can recruit. That is what I want. If Jenkins can recruit, I'm sure we will all love him.

I am not saying I am 100% satisfied with the status quo. I am not saying there aren't things that could be done better. What i am saying is that people on here make our team out to be an inexcusable train wreck when we simply aren't.

We do develop our players.
We are great against the press.
Mooney is actually a good coach who is capable of taking us to the NCAAs and winning games there.

Who said we are an inexcusable train wreck? I haven't heard that.

I agree that we develop some players, but I would like to see that development happening in years 1 and 2, not in years 1,2,3 and part of 4. We can't compete successfully in this league if we are waiting 3+ years for most of our players to realize their abilities. That's my point.

Mooney certainly can win games in the NCAA tournament, but it's hard to do that when you don't make the tournament 4 years in a row.

I know you want greatness. I try to be realistic. If a raw big can be developed into a force in a year, then a lot of people were wrong about that raw big. he should have been gobbled up by a P5 conference team and they missed on him. we're lucky as hell to have bigs like we have.

back to assistants, they're here to ASSIST. I get the feeling some of you think this is rocket science, and someone with new fresh ideas is going to enlighten Mooney. like he hasn't given thought to every freaking different concept there is in basketball. but because he chooses a way that doesn't agree with your way, you think he doesn't understand it.

he believes in his offensive and defensive schemes. he needs assistants who can teach them, and recruit for them.

All coaches believe in their core schemes, but most also hire other guys who bring different ideas to the mix, that's all I am saying. Look at Beilein. He's had a ton of different assistants. Some who shared his philosophies, some who didn't. He didn't just hire all his friends and former players to work for him every time there was an opening.

And yes, I realize that most great bigs are going to end up at P5 schools, but there are plenty of examples of bigs in our league in the past 5 years who were able to come in and make a difference in a year or two. If other teams can get them, we should be able to too.

Agreed, if the new hire can recruit we will all have big smiles. After all it's about the Johnnies and the Joes not the Xs and the Os. I know it's corny, so I'll move on.

Sadly, there are people who think we are a train wreck. Fortunately, it's a minority...vocal, but a minority.

Fresh ideas are good, but we aren't likely to vastly change our strategy. A person who can sell our style is probably quite a bit more valuable than someone pitching a style they don't totally believe in.

Amen! Thanks for the clarity, Mr. Tbone.

Last edited:
Faster development is more important -- if we are always aiming for people to be good their final year, then it gives us MUCH less margin for error in our recruiting. If we can get a couple of folks who can be useful for 3 seasons, we are more likely to be able to have well-rounded teams more consistently. The first part is the recruitment. But, getting agile learners with talent who can be coached up is also very important. I am not convinced we are getting the right recruits, nor do we have the right coaches to coach these guys up.

In the past few years, how many folks have been coached UP by Mooney? Anyone? I don't get to many games, though I see a fair amount on TV. How many seem to surpass what we originally thought their ceilings would be?

I don't know how you would objectively evaluate this, at least the way you framed it Kass. How do you set a bar or expectation for anyone before they step on the floor for us?

You can very easily measure progress by certain stats, ppg/rpg/apg, etc. This often translates to the most influential stat, minutes per game. Without doing anything analytical, I suspect there are very few guys who don't look better statistically year over year. Notable exception here might be DWill last year vs his junior year. I'm sure there are others.

As someone who goes to every home game, I can confidently say that we have tons of examples of guys who look better year after year, and we aren't waiting until their fourth year to see it.

Well, we've definitely seen guys improve, but our bigs historically have made many of the same mistakes for 3+ years. Why did it take Ododa until the GW road game this year to realize that he could dribble-drive to the hoop with authority? Why does he still have trouble catching passes cleanly? Why can't most of our big guys dribble near the basket without losing the handle in their first 2 or 3 years?

Why is it that Cline is the only post player I remember us having in the past 20 years who understands that you can receive a pass and immediately go up with the ball -- keeping it high so no one can steal it? Do we not coach this stuff? Cline came from another program, so he clearly already knew that when he arrived.

Stuff like that makes me shake my head.

We handle VCU's press well, but I feel like we get flummoxed by other teams when they press us. And no, I can't back that up with stats. But look at that Miami game, they pressed us and we made awful decisions that ultimately led to losing the game, with not necessarily a lot of turnovers so you wouldn't see the real story in the stats from that game.

I don't believe we handle pressing team well at all. Yes, we limit turnovers but that only part of beating a pressing team. Due to out limited depth (player development) our ball handlers are gassed at game's end and it's slip away from us. We become a step slow on defense, can not defend the 3 point line or we are leg tired and our shots fall short. There's more to it than turnovers when the opponent is pressing with 12 guys and we have 3 or 4 ball handlers. I recall the last two losses we had a second half 8 point lead in one and 18 point lead in the other. What's our record against the team downtown during CM's tenure, 9-4? Without lady luck it could easily be 11-2. That's not handling the press well.

I don't think anyone's saying a press has no effect on us. we handle it better than most, though. in fact, better that almost every team I saw this year that won't ahve players drafted in June.

I don't know how you would objectively evaluate this, at least the way you framed it Kass. How do you set a bar or expectation for anyone before they step on the floor for us?

You can very easily measure progress by certain stats, ppg/rpg/apg, etc. This often translates to the most influential stat, minutes per game. Without doing anything analytical, I suspect there are very few guys who don't look better statistically year over year. Notable exception here might be DWill last year vs his junior year. I'm sure there are others.

As someone who goes to every home game, I can confidently say that we have tons of examples of guys who look better year after year, and we aren't waiting until their fourth year to see it.

I think the idea that guys develop quickly or slowly is important in differentiating everyone here, TBone. Our coaches should be able to make guys develop more quickly, and help them be "useful participants" in games sooner rather than later -- the more of these guys who are good sooner should give us a deeper roster. This has to do with scouting (selection) and coaching (development).

First, with scouting, I am sure they have some ratings system that would cover how each prospect they are recruiting should pan out. They should roughly be able to assess where they are coming into their college career, and they should also assess where they should be able to go with their coaching.

If they think some guys are going to take 3 seasons to develop, to be useful in their 4th year (think Rick Edwards), that might be very useful in that 4th year. Rick was a very strong player his 4th year, but was relatively inconsequential in his years previous (when going up against the likes of a Jason McKinney, who he couldn't beat out). His peak was pretty good, but his career was just not that great. He had a medium-high ceiling, and was mostly low relative to his peak performance for the better part of his career.

We could look at a guy like Jarod Stevenson, who had a very high ceiling his whole career, but only touched it his senior year. He became untouchable his senior year, after three years of "underperforming," relative to his ceiling. That said, he was perfectly decent, at least scoring-wise, his 1st, 2nd, and 3rd years. But, he was certainly underdeveloped, and most likely definitely under-schemed.

On the other hand, look at a guy like Eric Poole. He came in and was pretty solid his freshman year. He didn't change much (stat-wise) in 4 years. But his contributions each of those 4 years was pretty steady, and was very "useful" over 4 years, relative to the rest of his teammates. I would argue that he was practically at his ceiling, relatively, from his freshman year onward.

Are there ways to measure this? Not exactly -- what is someone's "potential," anyway, other than some way of looking at their skills and working to get the most out of them? Some people make the most of their skills sooner rather than later, and you know what you are getting, and you might not get much more than that ever. Others reach their peaks later, and take a serious jump. There are always variables that can inject themselves into the equation (coaching change, scheme change, growth spurt, etc.) This is all part of how I think players develop, and the effect that coaches can have on their play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT