ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: New coach

Why separate these qualities? I would like to see Mooney find someone who embodies all three attributes. Just my two cents!!

I want a recruiter, but mostly what I DON'T want is for Butler or Smith to just be bumped into the role and Mooney to hire another DOBO. That would be a huge fail in my opinion. Nothing against those guys, but we need to bring in a proven, experienced assistant and slide him into this role.

That's a surprise!
wink.r191677.gif

I should clarify. Brunt was our top assistant, so Butler and Smith are not going to leapfrog into his role. I expect Jones will get bumped up, but whoever replaces him needs to be the new guy, IMO.

I am sure Mooney is getting many requests about the job. I feel confident he will get a good person for the job.

Ha!! Will Wade can't pry Greg Burton off him long enough to take any calls.

We could do a lot worse than Ryan Butler. Smart young man that played here, and he and his family love the school. Easier to sell something that you truley care about and believe in. I do wish he had more experience though.

If I gave odds on "Peter Thomas or the field" I wonder where most of the money would fall here?

Dan G would be a-ok in my book, then one of the Dobos could take his asst job at Campbell

We don't need inexperienced guys. We need an experienced guy who has been out getting it done. The A10 will eat a young guy new to the AAU world alive. This is very important hire for CM. The way for us to take the next jump is thru better recruiting.

JOC did an article on mooney last year in which CM basically stated that he doesn't care what the recruiting services say, he recruits for his system. He doesn't think we are typically going to be that competitive with traditional guys getting P5 offers.

So while I too would love to see us be competitive for three star guys or even a four star guy, I think that's a philosophy change. So not expecting us to hire a coach who is a "known recruiter."

Recruiting a shooter over 5'10" shouldn't be that hard. Brothers was the last one we had.

Concur, but CM has basically said if a guy can do the things he wants him to do (shoot, dribble, pass) then his measurables don't matter that much. I think that's a somewhat flawed philosophy but I don't coach bball.

T, I don't totally disagree with his philosophy, however a basketball game isn't decided by 3 judges on intangible points. It is decided by balls going through the basket. We need guys that can shoot. Lol.

My bigger problem is that we have failed in 5 or 6 different attempts even recruiting within THOSE self-imposed parameters. Piatrowski, Sparrow, Smithen, Diekvoss, etc etc. It's fine if we are going to recruit differently to fit our system, but if the guys we sign do not fit our system, then something is wrong. We can't afford to miss on 4-6 guys in a 4-year period as we have been.

Originally posted by MrTbone:
Concur, but CM has basically said if a guy can do the things he wants him to do (shoot, dribble, pass) then his measurables don't matter that much. I think that's a somewhat flawed philosophy but I don't coach bball.
I don't find the philosophy flawed. Despite having short guards we have been a top 50 defense (points allowed per possession) the past two years. We had the shortest player in the A10, and he was a first-teamer. We also had the 3rd shortest player, and he was voted 6th man of the year. The guards we have had have been extremely valuable to the team, their size didn't matter.

Here are the average heights of all A10 teams this past season (weighted by playing time) and their national rank

[ 1] La Salle 77.8 inches (37)
[ 2] GW 77.5 inches (58)
[ 3] Bona 77.4 inches (77)
[ 4] GMU 77.2 inches (107)
[ 5] SJU 77.2 inches (108)
[ 6] SLU 76.9 inches (136)
[ 7] UMass 76.6 inches (185)
[ 8] Fordham 76.5 inches (194)
[ 9] VCU 76.5 inches (199)
[10] URI 76.4 inches (217)
[11] Dayton 76.0 inches (267)
[12] Duquesne 76.0 (268)
[13] Davidson 75.9 (277)
[14] Richmond 75.7 (302)

Notice that the top 5 teams from this past year are all in the bottom 6 in terms of height. In the A10 height is not what makes a team good, in fact the teams that have chosen to focus on recruiting height seem to be worse. We can be very good with short guards if those short guards are good, and Mooney seems to have a knack for finding this type of guy.

This post was edited on 4/19 9:48 PM by fan2011

Maybe that is our niche. Giving exceptional under 6 foot guards a chance to play top 50 D1 basketball. I can live with that as long as they can shoot lights out and are excellent ball handlers. Which we have had. Just seems to me 6'0 to 6'3" shooting guards are a dime a dozen too. I understand we are not going to get 6'7" guards.

Extremely interesting post, fan2011. UR's guard play has been outstanding with CM's recruits. In fact, I've observed other teams now recruiting smaller guards, e. g. Chris Chiozza at Florida, Taj Shamsid Dean at Auburn, and most recently, Chris Lykes (2017) of Gonzaga high school. These highly skilled shorter guards are invaluable in breaking a press and creating chaos for havoc.

Originally posted by R&B fan:
We don't need inexperienced guys. We need an experienced guy who has been out getting it done. The A10 will eat a young guy new to the AAU world alive. This is very important hire for CM. The way for us to take the next jump is thru better recruiting.
Amen. It is all about recruiting. While I b*tch and moan at times about CM's coaching, he clearly can coach. As 8L points out, we have had a lot of misses the past few years in our recruiting, getting an assistant coach with a proven record and inroads for recruiting to me is top priority. I don't even have a secondary priority. Recruit better and we will be better.

if one looks at the D-1 transfer list each year as well as the number of guys sitting on the bench, not getting in games, at every school, have to conclude that they all miss. other than the top 50 or so guys, you get lucky sometimes, sometimes you do not. happens in the nfl, nba, mlb and they scout and prod and inspect those guys to the hilt. a crap shoot in a lot of ways, particularly at our level where we don't get a shot at the top 50 or even 100 guys.

Geriot seems like he has a lot of potential as a coach. Very personable and seems like he is good at networking. Had a great attitude and great playing career, having a super senior year playing on one knee. He does seem like he should be able to coach big men well too. I do understand the sentiment for bringing in an outside guy with fresh perspectives, but also see Geriot as a guy that is not afraid to have his say. I will also say Butler and Smitty are a couple of my favorite players and could see where they are very valuable. Will be interesting to see who we bring in. Kim Lewis was our last asst coach hire correct? I think he was mentioned as lead recruiter on Julius.

Originally posted by spider23:

Kim Lewis was our last asst coach hire correct? I think he was mentioned as lead recruiter on Julius.
Yes and yes. Kim is a very good recruiter.

The chief concern I have about promoting from within CM's coaching tree is whether or not the guys who came up through the CM system are bold enough to speak up and express their concerns to CM when they disagree with him, or otherwise have strong opinions on coaching matters.

To me, it would be extremely difficult for former CM players to be able to step away from their accustomed roles of being subordinate to CM.

I see the priorities for hiring a new assistant coach like this:

1.) Must be a great recruiter, first and foremost (Johnnies and Joes before X's and O's)
2.) A good identifier and developer of big man talent
3.) Someone from outside CM's "coaching tree/family" who has a strong enough personality to express themselves to CM when it is needed

What does an assisntant head coach make in D1 basketball. 165k to 200k ?

am really coming to the conclusion that one of any of the posters on here who see what is wrong and see what should be done, is the correct hire. not only in recruiting but in game plans, development of players and in-game tactical situations. who better to fine-tune our team?

Recruiting - college basketball at the highest level and high mid-major level, which is where the A10 falls - is mostly about recruiting.

At the higest level - its about getting the best players, usually all-americans or potential NBA players - and letting them make plays. At the the A10 level - its about outrecrutiing and getting better players than your competition in the conference.

You can try to develop talent within, but I think that sets you up for being a good team every few years when you have all the pieces come together. Get the best players - and now your talking about reloading rather than rebuilding.

Originally posted by SpiderK:
What does an assisntant head coach make in D1 basketball. 165k to 200k ?
It depends on the school. I think some head coaches don't even make that much, but that might be about right at a good P5 school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT