ADVERTISEMENT

Players taking accountability

if I had all the answers I could be a head coach.
we got on a run and played to our potential. tough to see what changed. we played hard all year. to me, we were always better when Gilyard chose to be more aggressive offensively. and during our run, he was.

but the "FU switch" belief makes no sense when Jacob speaks so glowingly about Mooney. CM never held him back. he often talked about Gilly needing to be aggressive. but Jacob is a true PG who prefers to get his team involved. unselfish to a fault sometimes. there's not a player around who wouldn't love to play with Jacob Gilyard.
Yes, the FU switch talk is beyond laughable. And, if you really don't think it's laughable, ask yourself this:

If we decided to turn on the FU switch when down 15 against Rhode Island, did we just decide to turn it off again the 1st half against Dayton? Then, back on the 2nd half? Then off against Davidson until we trailed by 6 late, then back on again? If Grace doesn't make the shot against Davidson and we lose that game, does that mean Mooney actually did coach that game? So, do some of you really think the players got together and said "we'll let Mooney coach the 1st half of these games, but we are doing our own thing the 2nd half"? Yes, beyond laughable.

So, the players came back for their extra year just to not care all year? They had no desire to win in the regular season and maybe put themselves in position for an at large? What changed was we won close games instead of losing them. That's college basketball. It happens.

Regular season:
VCU 64 Richmond 62
Dayton 55 Richmond 53
Davidson 87 Richmond 84

A-10 tourney:
Richmond 75 VCU 64
Richmond 68 Dayton 64
Richmond 64 Davidson 62

Last edited:
And lets not get started on our softball media.

That’s part of it. In any media market if u struggle consistently against an opponent that’s media 101. Like why can’t u beat opponent X? Is it mental? Is there a burden u carry? Etc. especially when it’s against your main rival like us w VCU. Those r usually the first questions. Yet we get zero.

Reactions: Eight Legger
That’s part of it. In any media market if u struggle consistently against an opponent that’s media 101. Like why can’t u beat opponent X? Is it mental? Etc. especially when it’s against your main rival like us w VCU. Those r usually the first questions. Yet we get zero.
Yes, the fact that the local media exhibits zero pressure in RVA is disappointing as well.

I lived a few years in an area where the two local D1 schools were very heated rivals. Not quite as close geographically as UR/VCU but still probably 35 miles separation I would say. The local media hit that rivalry nonstop from EVERY angle. When one side lost or went on even a tiny losing streak they heard about it. I don't think we will ever see that here though.

There are maybe four sports reporters left in Richmond who even cover us at all, and two of them work for the same station (and I think one or both also moonlight for our athletic broadcasts in some regard). The problem is that in order to have critical or insightful coverage from reporters, you first have to have reporters, period.

Do you guys think any changes come out of the players meeting or adjustments?

hoping for improved focus and communication.
I expect we'd look better regardless of the meeting though, simply playing at home and not playing against Dayton and VCU.
Agree, and I expect more get after it every possession defensively.

Changes and adjustments would come from coaching. I know some on here like to think our players did not listen to our coaches during the tourney last year, but there is not the slightest bit of evidence to back that up. Even for this board, that is some way out there talk.

There are maybe four sports reporters left in Richmond who even cover us at all, and two of them work for the same station (and I think one or both also moonlight for our athletic broadcasts in some regard). The problem is that in order to have critical or insightful coverage from reporters, you first have to have reporters, period.

Who r they...obviously John O'Connor. Lane Casadonte. David Teel? The last is really a RTD columnist but he's been in some pressers, probably the very few times he's writing on a column on us.

Do we have a new Noah Goldberg? Doesn't seem so. That was some added coverage we miss.

Who r they...obviously John O'Connor. Lane Casadonte. David Teel? The last is really a RTD columnist but he's been in some pressers, probably the very few times he's writing on a column on us.

Do we have a new Noah Goldberg? Doesn't seem so. That was some added coverage we miss.
he said 2 for same station. Doesn't sound like paper, maybe TV or radio?

Yeah - I miss Noah - wish he should show-up on this forum at some point.

One would hope that maybe the players in addition to focus, intensity, bringing it in practice everyday, maybe came up with some potential tweaks to offensive and defensive schemes that they could bring to the coaches as well.

I personally would love to see us ditch or reduce the defensive hedge that generally our off guard does to prevent dribble penetration but also leaves the other side of the floor too wide open for threes. On offense, a bit less dishing out when you dribble drive and instead looking more to score in those situations (Grace and Nelson are the biggest culprits of this).

Reactions: SpiderDad75
I am glad the players are initiating something though we can see from last night that I don't know how much impact it had. I was suprised to hear on the radio that Quinn was one of the players who called the meeting.

One would hope that maybe the players in addition to focus, intensity, bringing it in practice everyday, maybe came up with some potential tweaks to offensive and defensive schemes that they could bring to the coaches as well.

I personally would love to see us ditch or reduce the defensive hedge that generally our off guard does to prevent dribble penetration but also leaves the other side of the floor too wide open for threes. On offense, a bit less dishing out when you dribble drive and instead looking more to score in those situations (Grace and Nelson are the biggest culprits of this).
Our own TV broadcast noted how our offside defense was letting St. Bonnie have wide open 3's, yet we run the same down sh*t everygame. Also listened to a part on the radio and Matt Smith (I believe) was just railing on our decision to continue to bomb 3's when we had a decided advantage in the paint. Nice decision Mooney to have your 7 footer hang around the 3 point line all second half, that is great place for your best interior player to set up shop.

How can everyone and their mom see this except Mooney? I mean if you have Matt Smith and Bob and Beck criticizes your scheme, some of the most loyal Mooney apologists around, effing change it, Mooney. It is not working. Mooney is used to have some good players cover up his terrible scheme, but he is really being exposed this year because we lack the talent to disguise it anymore, so it is laid open for all to see.

yeah, I've always thought our off side defense collapses too far. that help does leave the skip pass there, but that's not a simple pass. we forced 2 turnovers on the skip pass last night.

Reactions: kneepadmckinney
yeah, I've always thought our off side defense collapses too far. that help does leave the skip pass there, but that's not a simple pass. we forced 2 turnovers on the skip pass last night.
It gives up numerous uncontested threes every single game. I've been watching specifically for it now the past few games, so I know it is killing us. Goose and Burton both got burnt on it again last night. It makes the players look like they aren't playing good defense because they have to close out on a wide open guy, but they are just being told what to do.

I just don't know how the coaches can sit and look at the game tape after each loss, not see what it is giving up, and make an adjustment. Very frustrating.

to me, you can only help to the point of where you can recover. so yeah, I agree.
sometimes we over-help. less this year than last as our on-ball defense is better.
not all the 3's were wide open though. they only hit 8. we should win games when we hold teams to 66.

Reactions: VT4700
They only scored 66 points, and only had 60 with a minute left. I don't care how they got them, that is acceptable to me. The last 2 games were not good defensively. This game was much better. My issues are with our offense.

Last edited:
It gives up numerous uncontested threes every single game. I've been watching specifically for it now the past few games, so I know it is killing us. Goose and Burton both got burnt on it again last night. It makes the players look like they aren't playing good defense because they have to close out on a wide open guy, but they are just being told what to do.

I just don't know how the coaches can sit and look at the game tape after each loss, not see what it is giving up, and make an adjustment. Very frustrating.
Teams will get some open looks from 3 during a game, just like we do. Watch any game, and teams will get plenty of open looks. Yes, sometimes you give some extra help inside and teams get a good look. Happens every game. We are holding teams to 33.6% from 3. It's not nearly as bad or as many defensive lapses as you guys think.

Our own TV broadcast noted how our offside defense was letting St. Bonnie have wide open 3's, yet we run the same down sh*t everygame. Also listened to a part on the radio and Matt Smith (I believe) was just railing on our decision to continue to bomb 3's when we had a decided advantage in the paint. Nice decision Mooney to have your 7 footer hang around the 3 point line all second half, that is great place for your best interior player to set up shop.

How can everyone and their mom see this except Mooney? I mean if you have Matt Smith and Bob and Beck criticizes your scheme, some of the most loyal Mooney apologists around, effing change it, Mooney. It is not working. Mooney is used to have some good players cover up his terrible scheme, but he is really being exposed this year because we lack the talent to disguise it anymore, so it is laid open for all to see.
Because announcers and Matt Smith are always right? So, you don't want us to shoot 3s? Okay, send Quinn low all game and have him doubled. Then, what? Geez, might as well use the message board while you are at it....."EL and 97 said we should have......"

We aren't shooting well. There is only so much you can do. Yes, get more shooters, so save that for a recruiting discussion. Tony Bennett and UVA went to the NIT last year because they couldn't shoot. The best coach out there couldn't just "figure it out" last year.

Because announcers and Matt Smith are always right? So, you don't want us to shoot 3s? Okay, send Quinn low all game and have him doubled. Then, what? Geez, might as well use the message board while you are at it....."EL and 97 said we should have......"

We aren't shooting well. There is only so much you can do. Yes, get more shooters, so save that for a recruiting discussion. Tony Bennett and UVA went to the NIT last year because they couldn't shoot. The best coach out there couldn't just "figure it out" last year.
Or you could get your better shooters more shots. Work on getting them better quality shots. Run a play to get them an open look! Stop having Grace and Bigelow chuck up 3s. That's the coach's job. Put his players in the best position to be successful.

Or you could get your better shooters more shots. Work on getting them better quality shots. Run a play to get them an open look! Stop having Grace and Bigelow chuck up 3s. That's the coach's job. Put his players in the best position to be successful.
You really think it is that simple? Wouldn't all teams shoot well from 3 every year if it were that simple? UVA shot 32.3% from 3 last year, 257th in the country. This year they are 19th in the country at 38.5%. Last year, NIT with 14 losses. This year 17-3 and top 5 in the country.

You are right! Let's just keep doing things exactly the same as the great coaching genius, Chris Mooney has drawn them up for the first 23 games, because that obviously is working splendidly.

You are right! Let's just keep doing things exactly the same as the great coaching genius, Chris Mooney has drawn them up for the first 23 games, because that obviously is working splendidly.
???? He just made a change many were asking for last night.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
Yes, the FU switch talk is beyond laughable. And, if you really don't think it's laughable, ask yourself this:

If we decided to turn on the FU switch when down 15 against Rhode Island, did we just decide to turn it off again the 1st half against Dayton? Then, back on the 2nd half? Then off against Davidson until we trailed by 6 late, then back on again? If Grace doesn't make the shot against Davidson and we lose that game, does that mean Mooney actually did coach that game? So, do some of you really think the players got together and said "we'll let Mooney coach the 1st half of these games, but we are doing our own thing the 2nd half"? Yes, beyond laughable.

So, the players came back for their extra year just to not care all year? They had no desire to win in the regular season and maybe put themselves in position for an at large? What changed was we won close games instead of losing them. That's college basketball. It happens.

Regular season:
VCU 64 Richmond 62
Dayton 55 Richmond 53
Davidson 87 Richmond 84

A-10 tourney:
Richmond 75 VCU 64
Richmond 68 Dayton 64
Richmond 64 Davidson 62
This post is too long to make this point.

???? He just made a change many were asking for last night.
Right he did make a necessary adjustment. Problem is when you are getting slaughtered by 25 at Dayton, losing to a bad UMass team missing a couple starters and twice to St. Bonnie team, Schmidt put together a couple months ago, maybe more than 1 line-up tweak is needed.

It's like praising the guy that pulled the fire alarm allowing everyone to evacuate safely, while at the same time knowing that same guy was the one who set the building on fire in the first place. Plenty more burning is on the horizon, I am afraid.

Right he did make a necessary adjustment. Problem is when you are getting slaughtered by 25 at Dayton, losing to a bad UMass team missing a couple starters and twice to St. Bonnie team, Schmidt put together a couple months ago, maybe more than 1 line-up tweak is needed.

It's like praising the guy that pulled the fire alarm allowing everyone to evacuate safely, while at the same time knowing that same guy was the one who set the building on fire in the first place. Plenty more burning is on the horizon, I am afraid.
I'm not praising him for that. I already said I wouldn't have done it, but I get why he did. Just commenting on the never makes changes talk we hear on here.

... maybe more than 1 line-up tweak is needed.
watching these last 4 games, he could make 5 line-up tweaks and I don't think it'd help.

he's playing a lot of guys trying to find answers late in the year when you're usually tightening up the rotation. I don't see any clear answers. thought they were on the bench in Bigelow and Roche but both are struggling now.

Reactions: VT4700
watching these last 4 games, he could make 5 line-up tweaks and I don't think it'd help.

he's playing a lot of guys trying to find answers late in the year when you're usually tightening up the rotation. I don't see any clear answers. thought they were on the bench in Bigelow and Roche but both are struggling now.
Agree, I don't think line up tweaks are really going to impact one way or the other. As I said at start of season, thought Moon did awesome job in the portal and we had the talent and experience to be very good this year - it was really a classic litmus test, can he coach/adapt to having new guys with these attributes and win. So far he is getting a failing grade. Like I said, I can see 24-25 with Neson/Smith/Dji combo being ready, but so far doesn't seem able to pull it off this year.

We have enough talent to be in the hunt next year. It’s embarrassing we aren’t this year in this soft A10.

Yes tyler will be hard to replace but sweet Jesus every program out there experiences this every year. Guys gotta step up, coaches gotta figure it out.

I hate the “three years away” talk.

We have enough talent to be in the hunt next year. It’s embarrassing we aren’t this year in this soft A10.
I was optimistic because the talent level seemed to have improved overall, but the coaching wasn’t able to match. As others have pointed out, there was a ton of assistant coaching turnover as well so that is a factor. However, I was hoping that the new assistants would infuse some new ideas. Seems that more adjustment time may be needed and I am not sure if the staff is better, worse, or the same after the changes. We all know that there is no change coming at the top.

Yes tyler will be hard to replace but sweet Jesus every program out there experiences this every year. Guys gotta step up, coaches gotta figure it out.

I hate the “three years away” talk.
Agree with your statement, however, it likely won't happen next year, Mooney can't figure it out. He has proven this many years over.

Depending upon portal, next season may well be worse. You lose your star player, plus 2 other starters. You replace with 1-guard (who by all accounts is good), BUT, just by the law of nature is likely not ready to be a major contributor until AT LEAST half a season, if then.

I think that it will be 2 more years before Nelson is really successful (if then). As stated previously, I like Bailey's potential a lot, but he has limited experience at this level, so he is likely to need more seasoning to be his best. Even more so with Noyes & Walz. They have almost zero game experience at this level and will likely take some time before they are successful contributors.

Quinn will hopefully be better. If he could play with a couple of knockdown shooting threats, it would make him more effective.

Roche will hopefully be a little better, but he isn't going to shoot much, if any, better %. Roche needs another legit outside threat playing along side him. That would take some of the focus AND responsibility off of Roche, likely making him more effective (I hope that freshman Smith will be a shooting threat).

Bigelow is really good on the boards and with toughness. Hopefully he will be a little better scorer, but he has shooting judgement lapses, and he makes a lot of turnovers (which are keeping him on bench now).

Add all of that together. I am, sadly very confident, that Mooney won't figure it out. Chances are high that next year is going to be a very rough run.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT