ADVERTISEMENT

Not so good old days ...

Wood Hall

Team Manager
Jan 26, 2015
I was reading through some issues of the Collegian from 1972-76 yesterday while searching for something from my past. Judging from some of the stories, looking back now the administration didn't seem to have much regard for the students.

* About 10 arrests after the famous 4/3/1974 panty raid/mass streak at North Court, when the UR cops called in the RPD's riot squad. That was a crazy night, and certainly an overreaction on UR's part. I'd forgotten about the subsequent RC student strike.

* The UR police regularly patrolled the dorms, sniffing for ditchweed or looking to bust you if you had hard liquor and weren't 21. I've heard that Dillard mellowed over the years but he was a real hard-assed jerk when I was in school.

* Dean Leftwitch was truly a man who couldn't adjust to changing times and still thought it was the 1950s. I liked Dean Matear but he didn't develop his own leadership style until Leftwitch left.

* Regular food fights at the Refectory because the food was absolutely retched. We went to that Hardee's over on Parham about three times a week at night because we were starving. The current dining hall is unbelievable.

* Practically no visitation rights at UR, none over at WC. Of course everybody broke the rules, but if you got caught there could be serious consequences.

* No real student union, the old Slop Shop was a joke compared to the current commons, which didn't open until fall of 1976. No on-campus apartments, classes in the barracks. No rec center other than the auxiliary gym or sneaking into Millhiser.

* Totally crappy intramural fields, either on the X lot field or at Bandy Lane or sometimes the Keller Hall Field. They even canceled intramural soccer one year.

* No fall break. Classes straight through from before Labor Day until 3-4 p.m. the day before Thanksgiving.

* OTOH, we had a thriving fraternity system, had the annual Block Party, a real rush period, keggers at Millhiser or the auxiliary gym, concerts at the Robins Center, a lot more school spirit, and we generally had to make our own fun, which was a lot of fun in itself.

It's probably a lot easier to attend UR today than it was in my day, and certainly than it was in years before 1972-76, when they even had Saturday classes. OTOH, it was neat to be at UR then; campus life probably changed more between 1972-76 than in any corresponding four-year period since and I was glad to be part of it.

This is a great site:

http://collegian.richmond.edu/cgi-bin/richmond?a=cl&cl=CL2&e=-------en-20--1--txt-txIN-------

went to UR before that and enjoyed every minute of it. was it the country club it is today, not even close but was it fun and a happy time, you bet.

Reactions: Marley13 and Ulla1
True story-I'm not bragging about, and thankful times have changed.
I had a blind date from Westhampton my freshman year and took her to
a fraternity rush party. She didn't want her own drink, but did sip off of mine.
I got her back to the dorm before curfew, but some other female student smelled
alcohol on her, and reported her. The poor gal was kicked out of school for a
at least a semester.
I don't ever remember a male student ever getting kicked out for drinking.

I had a similar experience with a blind date who was slightly overcome by what was probably her first experience with alcohol. Rather than dropping her off at her dorm I let her sleep it off for a while. However I also fell asleep and did not awake until a few minutes after Westhampton curfew. My date called the dorm to say her date was drunk and she had just found another ride back to campus. I dropped her off and nothing bad occurred. I do recall a few Westhampton ladies being kicked out for alcohol and sneaking out of dorm windows after curfew. Have times changed.

with what seems to be taking place on campuses these days, maybe we need to get back to curfews and other more restrictive policies, know dads would go for that when their daughters go off to college. even with all those restrictions, which made most of us date down at rpi or mcv, recall standing by a passed out or impaired WC or other young lady to protect her from other 18-22 year old males with hormones whining and drunk themselves until i could find her friends or some of my trusted friends to get her back home. a college campus is just a perfect formula for what we see happening and it will not be easy to make it much better. sure words, warnings but young men and young women will do what they do.

Last edited:
That's a good anecdote, Spinner... Seriously!

I think you invented "Bystander Intervention!"

I am sure you were, as it's a very uncomfortable position. But, you did it because it's the right thing to do, and more people need to do that.

If you dig deeper into sexual assault prevention strategies, this is one of the things that's sort of the zeitgeist of today. It certainly depends on many people having the courage to intervene in an uncomfortable moment. Many people don't.

Not tough to figure out....motif today on most college campuses...don't set any standards or requirements concerning restraints and then wonder what could possibly go wrong? Provide dorms or even rooms that allow both sexes - yes there are two sexes male and female - although some people think there are other options and then scratch your head or overreact when there are questions about sexual relationships. Abandoning in loco parentis for students under 21 has led to many problems.

Last edited:
if you look at parenting, mom and dad attempt to keep their daughters our of harm's way but then we drop them off on a college campus and they are on their own to try and stay out of serious situations and many cannot. look at the age group 17-22, no adults, parties, alcohol, drugs, sex, do we expect that things, bad things, will not take place? who is driving this car, stevie wonder? almost like the adults driving the car, feel that within the atmosphere these young people reside that all will be good. we all know that is not the case, nationally.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT