ADVERTISEMENT

New Tennis Digs not enough to keep MTennis coach Johnson

I actually saw them taking some trees down there today. It seemed like they are taking a few more out near the section of 4 courts in the rear. Almost like they could but 6 courts in each row instead of 6 and 4.

Any idea where they are putting the new locker rooms?

I like that they are making it so they can have 4 temp indoor courts. But it would be even nicer if they could build that as a 4-6 court permanent indoor building.

If I heard right, they're doing a $1MM renovation. If that is the price, then they're not building any sort of new facility for locker rooms, so my guess is maybe a refresh of the existing rooms in the basement of North Court. If they're able to get the project they detailed in the video done for $1MM, I'm impressed.

Why not interview Coach Johnson too given his recent team success.Hopefully,he's out recruiting.More prestigious programs may have their eyes on him.

Last edited:
I actually saw them taking some trees down there today. It seemed like they are taking a few more out near the section of 4 courts in the rear. Almost like they could but 6 courts in each row instead of 6 and 4.

Any idea where they are putting the new locker rooms?

I like that they are making it so they can have 4 temp indoor courts. But it would be even nicer if they could build that as a 4-6 court permanent indoor building.

I agree that having a permanent indoor facility would be better. And a small locker room/club house area would be great too

Ben leaving UR.Big loss for program.Sounds like we were cheap with increase in salary shekels.This one is on Walsh not Hale.

After seven years as coach of the University of Richmond men's tennis program, Ben Johnson has stepped down, the school announced Monday.

Johnson, a former Davidson assistant and a native of Louisville, Ky., was named A-10 coach of the year after two of the last three seasons. He is pursuing other professional opportunities, according to UR. Richmond went 25-4 this year, setting a school record for wins.

"Ben did a terrific job of moving our program to new heights and we can't thank him enough for his hard work over the past seven years," David Walsh, the Spiders' interim athletic director, said in a school release. "We wish him and his family the best of luck in his future endeavors."

Johnson called his move "one of the toughest decisions I've ever had to make, but it's a decision I have to make with my family in mind. ... Richmond is a truly special place and I can't thank the administration and student-athletes enough for the opportunity to be a Spider for the past seven years."

A national search for Johnson's replacement will begin immediately, according to UR.

Bio:

http://www.richmondspiders.com/coaches.aspx?rc=62&path=mten

Last edited:
I'm not sure you can jump to money as the sole reason--if it was just about money he could have jumped to a bigger school, especially with the success he put together at Richmond.

Where is he going the article just says pursuing other professional opportunities?

I could be wrong but it sounds like maybe the corporate sector...outside of college athletics? Just speculation though.

at some point, most people have to evaluate their situation and either make a move or stand pat. if he was not getting offers from power conference schools now, probably will not for a while and money does become an issue when you look down the road and realize your job is not going to pay you enough. he did a great job for UR and wish him the very best.

Reactions: urfan1 and iSpider
I could be wrong but it sounds like maybe the corporate sector...outside of college athletics? Just speculation though.
I agree in part. My guess he is going to go into corporate sales of equipment to schools- someone like an Under Armour who needs their tennis products to start showing up at the collages

Tough loss. Not a lot of money in coaching tennis at the collegiate level. He could pull well over 6 figures at a club easily especially with his resume. He practically coached this program with one arm tied behind his back as he only had 1 schollie while all the other schools had 4.5. Wish him well. Hopefully Walsh will find a suitable replacement.

Solid hire. Will be an adjustment for him since we are not fully funded. Will be curious to see if he recruits internationally or continues the developmental/domestic route coach Johnson implemented.

New coach is taking molecular biology courses this summer with an emphasis on genome screening in an attempt to replicate the Dunbar DNA for cloning applications.He has stated this is his most efficient recruiting tool available to him.

Reactions: Ferrum Spider
New coach is taking molecular biology courses this summer with an emphasis on genome screening in an attempt to replicate the Dunbar DNA for cloning applications.He has stated this is his most efficient recruiting tool available to him.
LOL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT