ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Settlement to Watch - Schools Pay Players

SpiderTrap

Graduate Assistant
Nov 6, 2007
Saw this on ESPN and it looks like in as soon as next year - schools will have the ability to pay players directly, with this article estimating that there will be a cap in place and estimate it starting at 20 million dollars.

I think the effects of this will only widen the gap between the power conferences and everyone else. Those power conferences already control the transfer portal because they have the NIL and collective money to buy all the players they want, now if the NCAA gives them the ability to pay the players themselves as well - they will also benefit and this just adds to the amount of money available for them to hand out. Obviously - this initial impact will be hard on football and basketball.

Something to keep a close eye on.

best players were going to high majors way before NIL. playing best competition gave them the best chance at the pros.
NIL gave smaller programs the chance to outbid if they could put together the money. this just brings us back to where we were.

best players were going to high majors way before NIL. playing best competition gave them the best chance at the pros.
NIL gave smaller programs the chance to outbid if they could put together the money. this just brings us back to where we were.
Not so sure about that. This gives the big boys more money to fill out rosters and take chances on transfers. Best players went to P5 before - yes they did, but that was mainly when recruiting HS kids. Now - best HS kids go to P5, but so do the best transfers. Now if the P5 have more money to spend - I would be concerned a kid transferring from Wagner or Albany, where a good jump is from there to the A10, might now be lured to the P5 program because that school can just easily give them 50K or maybe 100K right away. And while that kid may see the writing on the wall - playing time will be difficult, it is hard to turn down that amount of money, which the P5 schools will have more of to give out. The dominos is maybe after a year or two - you see some of those kids fall down in the portal to mid-major level or below as playing time becomes more important.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out - but I just see this making it even harder on the smaller and lower end schools.

I would be concerned a kid transferring from Wagner or Albany, where a good jump is from there to the A10, might now be lured to the P5 program because that school can just easily give them 50K or maybe 100K right away.
if a kid is wanted by a P5 school, they're already offering more NIL than the A10 schools. and for the most part ... every kid transferring is going to the highest level program they're offered at ... which coincidentally has the highest NIL.

Reactions: gospidersgo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT