ADVERTISEMENT

Mooney’s salary

Eight Legger

Spider's Club
May 27, 2003
Here we all thought it was “only” $1.3 million a year… The Collegian says last year he actually earned $2.7 million. But hey, at least we had a successful season…

That article is hard to read. Yes men’s sports have more attendance and money involved. Ground breaking. Yes Mooney is the highest paid UR employee so that will skew the average salary for men’s coaches

Reactions: GKiller
Never understood those arguments made. It’s not the same job regardless if same effort & time is made. If we hired a woman to replace Hardt and paid her less then that’s an argument.

Doesn’t a female swimsuit model get paid more than a male model? Gosh I hope so.

& not equal T shirts for crowd? If we had more fans at women’s games we’d shoot more T shirts into the crowd. The T shirt to fan ratio is a LOT better at women’s games. So u could say that’s actually unfair to the men’s team.

Also re: Mooney salary if he’s getting paid 2.2 milly I’m not sure the qualifier of deferred compensation matters. Unless he’s going to revert back to that 1.2-1.3 range in future, which I doubt.

Also re: Mooney salary if he’s getting paid 2.2 milly I’m not sure the qualifier of deferred compensation matters. Unless he’s going to revert back to that 1.2-1.3 range in future, which I doubt.
I actually do expect it to go back down. This was money he earned in previous years (and which was invested on his behalf) that just got distributed to him in a lump sum.

Similar thing happened a few years ago...he spiked from $1.2 million up to $2.2 million for a year when $1 million in deferred comp came through, and then he was back down to $1.3 million the following year.

I actually do expect it to go back down. This was money he earned in previous years (and which was invested on his behalf) that just got distributed to him in a lump sum.

Similar thing happened a few years ago...he spiked from $1.2 million up to $2.2 million for a year when $1 million in deferred comp came through, and then he was back down to $1.3 million the following year.

Thx then it is a little misleading. It would be easier to follow if UR didn’t refuse to announce/release contract details of their most highly compensated employee in a multi billion org.

Also if he’s getting an extra mil in deferred comp every few years it’s probably better to consider his average comp in a 4-5 year period bc 1.2 or 1.3 isn’t exactly accurate either.

Reactions: urfan1
As far as I can tell, that deferred comp shows up twice, so his actual salary really is in that $1.3m range. It shows up in the retirement/deferred column in the year it’s initially earned, with a footnote that it’s deferred. It then shows up again in a later year when he actually receives it, in the column noting that it was previously reported as deferred.

With respect Ananya Cheta, comes down to public interest. Do most folks want to see a women's field hockey game or a men's basketball game? Should the coaches be paid the same?

Symptomatic of what is wrong in higher ed today.
Under her brilliant logic, shouldn't everyone make the same if they are putting in equal effort. On the other hand, maybe if we pay Mooney Rousell's salary, he will go away.

If he had any credibility he'd half of his earnings back for the 10 year NCAA tourney drought.

SF, do u know what the additional $463k compensation he earned represents?

At some point I expect we’ll see another lump sum deferred compensation show up.

$409k of it has been deferred, so yes, it will show up again in a future year. Every year some is deferred and once in a while it gets paid out in lump sum.

I don’t know how the amount of deferred comp is determined each year. Some years it’s been in the $400k range, but one year was almost $700k.

Under her brilliant logic, shouldn't everyone make the same if they are putting in equal effort. On the other hand, maybe if we pay Mooney Rousell's salary, he will go away.

Yes, let's try that. Can Rousell be the men's coach too, please? Bet you he would be at least 7-3 right now even if he was coaching both teams!

The women would have lost at least 2 more games if Mooney was coaching them. So best for Rousell to coach both teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT