ADVERTISEMENT

When does Mooney?

97spiderfan

Spider's Club
Feb 2, 2005
Have enough Mooney is in his bank account to just retire. He's been here 18 years, so he has probably averaged about a million per year, less in his initial contracts, but probably more than a million now. So, even rounding down a bit he's probably banked about 15 million dollars of UR cash. You invest 15 million properly, you really don't have to work a day in your life again.

Is that not enough to retire and basically have whatever you want and desire in your life for both you and your kids. Is is worth going out there day after day for something that when you lie your head down at night, you have to admit, I'm really not even that great at this job.

When does that happen? Since we obviously aren't going to firing Mooney in the next few years, thought this might be the next best option. Perhaps a billboard that says "Retire Mooney, you've earned it" would be a bit more positive spin.

Reactions: bullfrog91
You forget things working against moon having motivation to retire:
1) No pressure. Admin just gave him an extension, and really didn't seem concerned when he had 20 loss seasons.
2) He gets positive re-inforcement that it is ok to be ok most years, with an occasional very good year.
3) the lil ol ladies, Bob and Matt brigade, etc came to his defense after the billboard.
4) Even though we know also the losingest coach, he is the winningest coach and can continue to pile up 15 to 18 wins , especially in a weakened A10.
5) He can work 40 hours 80 hours, 35 hours. He can do what he wants or not wants 9 months a year and no one says boo.

Should I go on.

Get used to it. My guess is he gets in another ten years to pass Martelli's tenure, and then we have the Mooney retirement year of roses.

I hope this brightens your day 97 😀😃

On the bright side, if jaynel can take and build on this year, and Trevor Smith is as good as advertised, we are looking at a good run in 2024-25!!!

Maybe Mooney will quit after he loses to VCU. I highly doubt Mooney is going anywhere. Over the years he probably has pocket a lot of cash. This job has no pressure to win at all. That run we had last year is what keeps everyone happy. I live in the present moment right now this program is sinking. Right now, Mooney doesn’t care anymore. Cause we already set him up to retire. All this extra cash is for his kids.

I’m sure he cares, it’s irrational to think any D1 coach isn’t motivated to win. I just think he’s set enough in his ways that with the university demanding only an above average level of performance, there is little reason to do anything radical to change.

Id love to see him throw caution to the wind and mix it up but that’s just not how he works, nor do most coaches to be fair. But good coaches are very good at adapting to personnel. I don’t think that is Chris’ strength.

Reactions: nathanw19
I can't recall the actual timing off the billboard, but when has Richmond canned a coach before the contract was over. Again, my recollection is fuzzy but did we not have an INTERIM AD extend Mooney? I think that tells you all u need to know about the admins feelings for Chris the untouchable.

I can't recall the actual timing off the billboard, but when has Richmond canned a coach before the contract was over. Again, my recollection is fuzzy but did we not have an INTERIM AD extend Mooney? I think that tells you all u need to know about the admins feelings for Chris the untouchable.
I believe the only coach canned before contract expiration was Latrell Scott.

And yes, interim AD extended CM.

You forget things working against moon having motivation to retire:
1) No pressure. Admin just gave him an extension, and really didn't seem concerned when he had 20 loss seasons.
2) He gets positive re-inforcement that it is ok to be ok most years, with an occasional very good year.
3) the lil ol ladies, Bob and Matt brigade, etc came to his defense after the billboard.
4) Even though we know also the losingest coach, he is the winningest coach and can continue to pile up 15 to 18 wins , especially in a weakened A10.
5) He can work 40 hours 80 hours, 35 hours. He can do what he wants or not wants 9 months a year and no one says boo.

Should I go on.

Get used to it. My guess is he gets in another ten years to pass Martelli's tenure, and then we have the Mooney retirement year of roses.

I hope this brightens your day 97 😀😃

On the bright side, if jaynel can take and build on this year, and Trevor Smith is as good as advertised, we are looking at a good run in 2024-25!!!
Agree -no motivation to retire and I wouldn't blame him. He doesn't have to grind it out like other coaches as he has job security at UR and I think even recruiting, given our admissions issues, limits the amount of players he can recruit - which lessens that grind as well. And now with the transfer portal - if that becomes useful for UR and Mooney, recruiting becomes easier. Just watch some game film from last year, check a transcript and your done.
And doesn't he have a nephew coming up the ranks or even his own kids at some point?

Agree -no motivation to retire and I wouldn't blame him. He doesn't have to grind it out like other coaches as he has job security at UR and I think even recruiting, given our admissions issues, limits the amount of players he can recruit - which lessens that grind as well. And now with the transfer portal - if that becomes useful for UR and Mooney, recruiting becomes easier. Just watch some game film from last year, check a transcript and your done.
And doesn't he have a nephew coming up the ranks or even his own kids at some point?
$1.??? Million with absolutely no pressure, who would give that up voluntarily?

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Y'all.. Can you just let a man dream for a bit? I know Mooney isn't going to retire and let a cool easy million plus a year at the table, that would be silly of him. But can you just let a guy day dream what it might look like post Mooney, where maybe we have a coach, that actually aspires to be something greater than what we are. Mooney is content as f*ck with the status quo, sure he'd like to win more, who wouldn't, but is he willing to move mountains so to speak to get us there? No, he isn't.

Don't kid yourself, even with a new coach it's still an administration issue. Think what you want about Rocco, he WON. The administration chased him off.

Can we get a billboard bogo?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT