ADVERTISEMENT

Media Day: Spiders 7th, Burton First-Team

SFspidur

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 5, 2003
We don't get no respect.

Last edited:
Yep, should be a very interesting season.

I have been as hard on Mooney as anyone the last 10 years.

I have also maintained that the majority of shortcomings over that period are due to recruiting, and inability to fill a good roster with quality depth. I do feel when we have had good rosters, the results have been good under Mooney. I think we have really good top level talent on this roster, and really good depth. Recruiting has been solid last few years, and now a good haul in the portal to fill in pieces lost with potential starter level players. Mixed results that last three years - we were on cusp of NCAA when shut down, then under acheiving year, followed by a lack luster regular season and tremendous post season run.

This year I think we have a great opportunity. I like the lack of respect. Bring it on.

Here is another story about Mid-Majors from ESPN.

Dayton gets a lot of love and mentions of VCU and St. Louis.

I can understand the lack of love for UR - we were mediocre all season last year until the A10 tourney, and that was with our "super senior" crew. Now we have all the new pieces and transfers, so I can see 7th being the ranking we get. But I think this team has the ability to be a top 5 team as well. Just a lot of unknowns for a Mooney team that has never really relied this heavily on transfers (possibly 3 first year transfers getting major minutes in Quinn, Bigelow, and Roche).

We definitely should be better than 7th, but I agree – who cares at this point? We aren't a program that does well with a target on our back anyway. I am slightly amused about everyone (though not this preseason poll) expecting big things from UMass just because they brought in a new coach and a bunch of transfers. I'm all for them finally becoming relevant again after 20 years but I'm not holding my breath that it will happen this year.

this poll is by the head coaches and a few media members, so I assume at least the coaches have a good idea of what to expect from each team. there are always some surprises though.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
EL, I am not buying Umass at this point either. I think the reasoning for the high rating goes: Big name coach (kind of - lot of success at P6 South Carolina in the not too distant past), big transfer haul and highly rated hs recruit or two. Between the transfers and recruits probably has the highest ranked players (coming out of hs that is) in the conference, or at least top 4 along with Dayton, SLU and VCU.

I took a look at their board several weeks ago and at that time the masses (get it :), at least I didn't call them MassHoles) were not completely buying the hype, thinking they had a pretty good starting five but very little depth. I guess we will see how it pans out. I think the Jeff Goodman's of the world love Frank Martin, so that helps feed the hype.

Coach Martin @ UMass reminds me a lot of Bobby Knight. He has high technical coaching skills, but he is also extremely loud, demanding, and many say abusive. IF he has players who respond to his style of coaching, his teams do very well. If he has a bunch who melt under his demands, not so much.

I have no idea whom he has on his roster, so, time will tell.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Here is another story about Mid-Majors from ESPN.

Dayton gets a lot of love and mentions of VCU and St. Louis.

I can understand the lack of love for UR - we were mediocre all season last year until the A10 tourney, and that was with our "super senior" crew. Now we have all the new pieces and transfers, so I can see 7th being the ranking we get. But I think this team has the ability to be a top 5 team as well. Just a lot of unknowns for a Mooney team that has never really relied this heavily on transfers (possibly 3 first year transfers getting major minutes in Quinn, Bigelow, and Roche).
Top 5 means nothing though. It should be all about top 4. A 5th place finish would make an at large a long shot, and also does not get us a bye to the quarters in the A-10 tourney.

Reactions: urfan1
I agree top 4 (and lately top 2) is what you need to make a run at NCAA bid. 5th place finish likely means NIT or bubble NIT - depending on teams ahead of us. But again - this team is very new in terms of UR experience. We have guys like Quinn, Roche, and Bigelow who have experience and are new - but this is new territory for Mooney in terms of a heavy transfer load. And its new for a lot of coaches, but I think especially UR given prior to this - we had very few transfers compared to other schools.

I think we can be top 4, but would not be surprised if we just miss and finish 5th.

The difference between fourth and seventh this year could be as small as one game, IMO, so every game will matter.
That is what I thought. And May be reflected in the voting totals for media day.

I’m totally fine with this. Who cares what the media thinks? No pressure on the team but also puts a chip on their shoulder.
I agree. Also seems like quite a bit of group think going on with the similarities of the top 5 in particular. I think Dayton and StL are in the top tier and then there are 6 teams that could finish anywhere between 3 and 8 including the Spiders. The short term goal is definitely to finish in the top 4 and before the ball gets tossed in the air that seems possible to me.

No preseason hype definitely makes it easier on the mental side although the hype train can start at any time. Looking forward to the new season. Go Spiders!

We don't get no respect.

I think the Jeff Goodman's of the world love Frank Martin, so that helps feed the hype.
Going to hear a lot from Goodman since the A10 has partnered with the Field of 68 to produce a weekly A10 podcast. Great news for my work commute.

However, UR got shortchanged on the first media day episode as Mooney was supposed to be the last coach interview, but instead they interviewed Schmidt and Mooney together. Ended up being entertaining, but definitely lost an opportunity to get some preseason team exposure. Maybe another good thing like being picked 7th?

I didn’t listen to all the other coaches but did listen to Rhodes portion and he is definitely high on his team this year. Sounds like they plan on spreading the floor on offense and have 2 post players who can shoot the 3. He also mentioned that the A10 conference goal
Is to win 70% of its non-conference games to stay in the at-large conversations. So have to hope that all teams make the most of their opportunities.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Interesting about Rhodes talking about his big men shooting the 3. That has not been in his gameplan in the past, so I wonder how well he will be able to incorporate it this season. Sounds like he has some big guys that can shoot it, but I have doubts they will be that effective with it.

That's fine by me if VCU wants to play 4 out - allows us to play Burton and Bigelow and Noyes at the 4 to defend against them if they are a true 4 out on offense, which in turn allows UR to have 2 ballhandlers in the backcourt against their pressure and still have a guy like Roche at the 3. Then forces one of their bigs to match up against Burton on defense.

Looking at their roster - there big guys are all new basically. Either frosh or grad transfer and none of their write-ups scream shooter to me - but then again, remember that Rhodes was a lethal shooter in his day - so I got to imagine one thing he can teach is shooting. And big guys generally don't need to shoot well - they just need to hit 30% - that is enough where you have to respect and guard them - and by doing so - you space the floor. You have a big guy that shoots 25% or less - and teams will dare him to shoot and clog the lane for cutters and drivers.

if their big shoots 30% on open threes I won't cover him out there all night.
he'll lead the nation in scoring and they'll lose a ton of games.
that's an eFG% of 45%.

Going to hear a lot from Goodman since the A10 has partnered with the Field of 68 to produce a weekly A10 podcast. Great news for my work commute.

However, UR got shortchanged on the first media day episode as Mooney was supposed to be the last coach interview, but instead they interviewed Schmidt and Mooney together. Ended up being entertaining, but definitely lost an opportunity to get some preseason team exposure. Maybe another good thing like being picked 7th?

I didn’t listen to all the other coaches but did listen to Rhodes portion and he is definitely high on his team this year. Sounds like they plan on spreading the floor on offense and have 2 post players who can shoot the 3. He also mentioned that the A10 conference goal
Is to win 70% of its non-conference games to stay in the at-large conversations. So have to hope that all teams make the most of their opportunities.
Yeah I agree. I watched it and was def disappointed. Most coaches talked about the same but a few did talk up some of their kids.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
this poll is by the head coaches and a few media members, so I assume at least the coaches have a good idea of what to expect from each team. there are always some surprises though.
True it is most reputable poll & while coaches would have better insight I doubt they predict any better than the media historically. We’d have to see a breakdown of coaches vs media to gauge so we’ll never know. If it’s like college football a decent percentage of them put little thought into it & may pass off to their PR person to do it. JOC should put his own and Mooney’s lists out there but it won’t happen.

if their big shoots 30% on open threes I won't cover him out there all night.
he'll lead the nation in scoring and they'll lose a ton of games.
that's an eFG% of 45%.
UR shot 44% as a team from the field last year.

Interesting about Rhodes talking about his big men shooting the 3. That has not been in his gameplan in the past, so I wonder how well he will be able to incorporate it this season. Sounds like he has some big guys that can shoot it, but I have doubts they will be that effective with it.
Johns can shoot.

KenPom has his preseason rankings up as well with the Spiders at #95. He has only two Tier A games for us...semi-away vs. #60 Clemson and at #24 Dayton, with the potential for a third in our MTE.

Tier B games include #54 Syracuse neutral and #86 Toledo away in the OOC schedule, and then away games at #104 Mason, #105 Davidson, #119 Bona, and #94 VCU plus home games against #59 Loyola and #39 SLU.

Our second-round opponent at Barclays would be either #37 St. John's (Tier A) or #95 Temple (Tier B).

Stinkers include #283 Bucknell, #286 VMI, #315 Coppin State, #326 W&M, and #355 FDU.

So OOC has 6 top 100 teams, 5 stinkers at 275+, and then two middle-of-the-pack teams in #126 UNI and #196 Charleston.

Reactions: plydogg
Looks like quite a drop in offensive rating for VMI.

But Charleston keeps its frantic pace.

The drum I like to bang does show through on the highly rated mid majors, and it is consistent year after year. Defense. Overall Rating/Defensive Adjusted Efficiency Ratings: Houston (7/8) , SDSU (19/5) , Dayton (24/28), St. Mary's (47/19), and Loyola Chicago (59/40).

Defense Travels.

Will be interesting to see how we do defensively this year. While we seem to be a bit better since moving to a more straight forward man scheme, it never seems to be a huge point of emphasis with Mooney. And we lose our number one defensive weapon in Gilyard.

I do think we have some potentially really good defensive players in Goose (obviously), Burton ( has mentioned this a point of emphasis), Bigelow, Dji. Grace looked improved to me last year, especially in the later part of the season - but still seems foul prone, and at times gets overwhelmed. Quinn, looks to be slimmer and more fit, and you cannot teach 7 feet as they say. I think the 3/4 spots are going to be key as to whether we are an OK defensive team, or a good defensive team.

I'm not worried so much about offense, I believe we have enough weapons on O and it may take a few weeks to figure out how to play them together, but think a lot will ride on our D.

Here is a comparison of where KenPom ranks vs the A10 media poll:

Kenpom​
A10 Poll​
24​
Dayton​
Dayton​
39​
Saint Louis​
St Louis​
59​
Loyola Chicago​
VCU​
94​
VCU​
Loyola​
95​
Richmond​
George Mason​
104​
George Mason​
Davidson​
105​
Davidson​
Richmond​
119​
St. Bonaventure​
Mass​
133​
Duquesne​
Rhode Island​
141​
Rhode Island​
St Bonaventure​
154​
Massachusetts​
Fordham​
169​
Saint Joseph's​
George Washington​
185​
La Salle​
St Joes​
224​
George Washington​
La Salle​
231​
Fordham​
Duquesne​

Duquesne with the biggest down grade by A10 folks, while Fordham gets an upgrade.

Fordham hit a home run hiring Kyle Neptune, he had a good year and landed a great class ... and then he left for Villanova.
just seems like that's the way things go for Fordham fans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT