ADVERTISEMENT

La Salle Game Thread and Baby Racing - Sat 2pm ESPN+

Dji is basically too important to sit when things are going south, regardless of his foul situation. I did not like the rotation when Lasalle made their comeback but loved the small lineup look. I called for that last year even but finally Dji is playing at an all league level, holding it all together. And when Bigs makes shots it really clicks.

I don’t understand Bob and Beck exhorting Quinn to shoot more going into half. 8 points on 9 shots at that point is extreme inefficiency and was one of prime causes for UR slow start. Lasalle came back with UR taking bad shots, which included a bunch of Quinn mid range - he finished with 8 points on 3-12 fg. Taking mid range and hook shots will also never generate FTs and easy points.

Walz played well but clearly the missed dunk was a key moment in the Lasalle comeback and was in his head. But he brings some toughness IMO and could stand for a few more minutes when playing well.

We see what teams will now do with King, constant attention, so all other guys have to step it up like today.

Take it, move on, get healthier. Great response to Lasalle’s second half run.

Reactions: urfan1
Anyone going to mention the 30 second violation?

Just great, now we are going to end up first out instead of last in, all because of 2 points. ;)

Reactions: gospidersgo
Quinn having a tough time. I wish he would learn to use the backboard. It might be old school but it works.
Time to have a TJ primer? Seems to me in last few weeks his productivity and shot have fallen off???? Really need his productivity at high level heading down the stretch. Need his 7’ to dominate on the boards and take advantage of size on short shots.

That was kind of a weird game at times but no real complaints about a comfortable win. Dji did a little bit of everything. He's turning into Senior Year Greg Robbins, which is a really good thing.

Quinn seemed to forget today that he was bigger than everyone else on the court. Just take the ball right to the basket strong! That 35 kid on LaSalle looked like a baby deer. Quinn should have fouled him out after 10 minutes, but instead he let him dictate things. Fortunately it didn't cost us.

Bailey has made a strong improvement with his free throws since A10 began!
Picked the right time to have a near perfect game from the line. Didn’t give LaSalle any hope of getting back in the game.

With Quinn less than 100%, going to be interesting to see if the Spiders can steal some minutes going small against UMass. Dji was definitely doing a good job running the offense from the top of the lane tonight.

Tyne, Bigelow, and Bailey all gave the Spiders life at key points in the game. Go Spiders!

. He's turning into Senior Year Greg Robbins, which is a really good thing.
Good comparison. Dji is a little different player, more athletic. Greg played pretty much exclusively in the high post, and Dji was very effective there today. But Robbins was also a guy that did a lot of little things to impact winning, as does Dji.

Good comparison. Dji is a little different player, more athletic. Greg played pretty much exclusively in the high post, and Dji was very effective there today. But Robbins was also a guy that did a lot of little things to impact winning, as does Dji.

I get the comparison and it’s not a bad one, tho I think Dji is playing at a much higher level no offense to Greg. Dji should certainly be all a10 D but making a run at regular a10 team. Those primarily seem to look at scoring tho, sometimes to a fault.

Congrats to the guys on taking care of business tonight. It wasn't a perfect game, but it was the result we needed to get back on track and stay in first. Obviously special game by Dji - if he can add consistency to his free throw shooting watch out. Pretty awesome to see them target him tonight and he made them pay.

Loved the way King played tonight as well. They really worked hard to take him out of the game and he didn't force anything, still shot well on reduced shots, and had 5 assists.

Bring on UMass

Dji was awesome today. He just seems to be everywhere on the court making plays on both ends. And shoot playing him at the 5 at the end was quite the revelation. We are going to have to implement that look in other games because it makes our offense so much faster.

Really disappointed in Quinn. He had a smaller weaker man on him, which should have meant every time he gets the ball, he backs him down right to the hoop. I think he did that once all day and the rest of the time he is settling for jump hooks and that damn push shot from 10 feet that has no English on it.

Love how D-Lo after Walz missed the dunk went right up to him and physically lifted his chin up and was talking to him the whole timeout. Masterclass in leadership right there.

Dji was awesome today. He just seems to be everywhere on the court making plays on both ends. And shoot playing him at the 5 at the end was quite the revelation. We are going to have to implement that look in other games because it makes our offense so much faster.

Really disappointed in Quinn. He had a smaller weaker man on him, which should have meant every time he gets the ball, he backs him down right to the hoop. I think he did that once all day and the rest of the time he is settling for jump hooks and that damn push shot from 10 feet that has no English on it.

Love how D-Lo after Walz missed the dunk went right up to him and physically lifted his chin up and was talking to him the whole timeout. Masterclass in leadership right there.
Yep yep yep. Especially paragraph 2. Quinn needs to push more right to the basket. Most games he should have size and strength advantage. Those 7-10 foot push shots aren’t dropping. There might be injury issues, but 3 for 12 on mostly in the paint shots is worrisome.

I get the comparison and it’s not a bad one, tho I think Dji is playing at a much higher level no offense to Greg. Dji should certainly be all a10 D but making a run at regular a10 team. Those primarily seem to look at scoring tho, sometimes to a fault.
I was going to say, Robbins is no where near Djis ability defensively. When given the minutes and PT to get comfortable, he has shown flashes of Tony Dobbins to me.

I will say I liked the small lineup today we went with at the end. Won't bash Quinn since he played hurt, but I wish he would use the backboard more on his shot selection. He could easily get an extra 6-8 points a game if he did.

Dji to me is the most athletic guy on the team. He was an ACC recruit and you can see that in his length and athletic abilities. This is why you can put him anywhere on the court on both ends of the floor and he can make good things happen.

He is like Robbins in the sense of his senior year revelation and he has a craftiness to his play. He has an old school game with his variety of finishes around the basket. Robbins was a better shooter but Dji is better at everything else, IMHO.

Dji to me is the most athletic guy on the team. He was an ACC recruit and you can see that in his length and athletic abilities. This is why you can put him anywhere on the court on both ends of the floor and he can make good things happen.

He is like Robbins in the sense of his senior year revelation and he has a craftiness to his play. He has an old school game with his variety of finishes around the basket. Robbins was a better shooter but Dji is better at everything else, IMHO.
Yep, that is what reminds me of Robbins. Robbins was supposed to be this great recruit (#2 in career scoring behind Kobe at their high school, as I recall) but didn't do much for three years. Then his senior year, he was everywhere, super crafty, scoring in double figures every night, doing something to help us win. Dji's career has followed a similar path, more for injury issues I'd say, and now we are seeing the full package. He's definitely more athletic though.

Reactions: urfan1
I was always amused about the mentions of Greg and Kobe, as if they were on a similar level. Kobe scored 2,883, while Greg scored 1,619. Obviously still a very respectable total, but there are plenty of other guys who scored as many as or more than Greg in their high school careers yet weren't college stars, much less making the NBA or becoming a basketball legend.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Playing defense, Quinn was very aggressive around the rim. If he would just bring that aggressiveness into the offensive side. His delicate moves around the basket remind me of Dan Geriot, only Dan was 6'8", not 7'.

I was always amused about the mentions of Greg and Kobe, as if they were on a similar level. Kobe scored 2,883, while Greg scored 1,619. Obviously still a very respectable total, but there are plenty of other guys who scored as many as or more than Greg in their high school careers yet weren't college stars, much less making the NBA or becoming a basketball legend.
Don't insult Greg by suggesting that he was worse than Kobe...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT