ADVERTISEMENT

KEN BURNS NEW DOCUMENTARY

WebSpinner

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 7, 2003
have enjoyed his work thus far and just previewed his newest entry COUNTRY MUSIC which begins on pbs in mid september. don't have a country station set on my radio and never have but enjoy all music so this should be good. recall when i was very young, sitting by the radio with my family listening to the grand ole opry on saturday nights. remember that my dad loved hank williams who died when he was only 29 years old as did patsy cline. this starts with the music back up in the mountains and how it was passed from families until actual recordings were made by the cater family of va. june carter, who later married johnny cash and was the subject of the oscar winning movie ring of fire, lived for some time in henrico county and city of richmond and graduated from john marshall high school. think it has 6-8 parts and traces the beginning, the evolution, the icons. if you love country music or hate country music, will be a good history lesson. since moving down here have attended the houston livestock and rodeo each year. it runs for about 22 days and each day is capped off by a concert in nrg stadium where the texans play. many of the concerts are country and have become a big fan of george strait and love his rendition of AMARILLO BY MORNING, great lyrics, excellent musicians backing him up, particularly the fiddle in this one. if this is up to the level of his previous works, should be well worth viewing.

Not a country music fan but enjoyed watching his Vietnam and Civil War documentaries. He’s fantastic at what he does.

viewed all 8 episodes, loved it and learned so much. a lot to digest so am watching it a second time which reflects how bad television is these days.

Reactions: Stork3
Is tv really that bad or am I a sucker. I watch network shows nightly and still have to watch several hours on my iPad the next day. Have even seen some of that country show although that’s not my wheelhouse.

have enjoyed his work thus far and just previewed his newest entry COUNTRY MUSIC which begins on pbs in mid september. don't have a country station set on my radio and never have but enjoy all music so this should be good. recall when i was very young, sitting by the radio with my family listening to the grand ole opry on saturday nights. remember that my dad loved hank williams who died when he was only 29 years old as did patsy cline. this starts with the music back up in the mountains and how it was passed from families until actual recordings were made by the cater family of va. june carter, who later married johnny cash and was the subject of the oscar winning movie ring of fire, lived for some time in henrico county and city of richmond and graduated from john marshall high school. think it has 6-8 parts and traces the beginning, the evolution, the icons. if you love country music or hate country music, will be a good history lesson. since moving down here have attended the houston livestock and rodeo each year. it runs for about 22 days and each day is capped off by a concert in nrg stadium where the texans play. many of the concerts are country and have become a big fan of george strait and love his rendition of AMARILLO BY MORNING, great lyrics, excellent musicians backing him up, particularly the fiddle in this one. if this is up to the level of his previous works, should be well worth viewing.

Amarillo by morning, up from San Anton. Everything that I got is just what I've got on. . . .

Marley, to each his own, if you like what the networks are showing that is great. we find from being on netflix or prime a lot that the shows on there are just much better, not much violence yet the characters are deeper, the plots excellent and just overall higher quality and more enjoyable than US nightly lineup. we all have different tastes and interests so there is no right or wrong at all. don't listen to country, grew up when rock and roll took over so my music is that plus soul. do listen to some country and we typically choose a day at the houston rodeo every year where a country star is performing and enjoy that. if you took any genre of music and did this, am sure the common threads would be the same, alcohol, drugs, depression, disappointments, amazing songs and performers, producers and artists butting heads, incredible highs and lows, many checking out at a young age. ironic, a SPID, who was there when i was in school and good friend of my wife was a producer in nashville but always told me that he did not do country, was not a country producer. always asked him, how then, did you win a grammy(s) for producing dolly parton? we laugh because both of us know that it was an aberration that he worked with dolly but mostly he did not do country.

Did not learn to appreciate some country music till I moved to NC in 1980. Burns
does well with his historical documentaries. What is more important than the music,
is the stories on the backgrounds of these songwriters and singers. Some were poor
as dirt, while others were born with a gold passy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT