ADVERTISEMENT

Just sayin'

BillyWayne

Star
May 6, 2003
My wife and I work out at the Weinstein Center three mornings a week. It's a great facility. On Tuesday, we happened to ask the person at the desk if it were possible to put one of the eight televisions on the front wall on Fox News. We're fans of Fox & Friends in the morning. The young lady asked her supervisor and then told us that the TVs were set on "major channels" and they didn't want to change them to minor ones. Tuesday's channel lineup was CBS, NBC, CNN, ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, HLN, and a channel that constantly ran an informercial for the Shark vacuum cleaner. Today, the lineup was similar except the infomercial channel had changed to the NFL network. Do the powers that be have a negative view of "fair and balanced" FNC? Just sayin'...

LOL! No, they don't mind the tinfoil hat. They did ask me to take off my sidearms though.

You should buy stock in tin foil... Must be a big seller.

FNC had higher ratings yesterday than MSNBC, CNN, HLN, CNBC, and FBC.... COMBINED.

Pretty pathetic that those who disagree with reporting display their opposition via censorship. Not surprising. Just pathetic.

Major channels

Originally posted by Spidertag:

FNC had higher ratings yesterday than MSNBC, CNN, HLN, CNBC, and FBC.... COMBINED.
I didn't know that. It sounds like they are at the top of the "mainstream media" I've been warned about

This post was edited on 6/21 8:50 AM by NyNjSpider

Well, this is proof enough for me that the University of Richmond is aggressively anti-conservative and will stop at nothing to intentionally eradicate all such points of view from campus. Thanks for your update, BW.

Or maybe someone interested in this issue could contact Tom Roberts and see if this actually is the policy before jumping to conclusions. He's a nice guy and will be happy to follow up on this.

Most likely, a student employee, who just didn't want to get up and change the channel. But the conspiracy and censorship angle is much sexier. Is their a gulag in the basement of the Weinstein Center.

Lighten up folks and have a sense of humor. My original post was not to be considered a life or death issue. I was just wondering. BTW, the student we asked did get up and go ask her supervisor, so can't blame her for being lazy.

BW, should ask for a discount due to lack of flexibility with the allowed viewing. or, you may be getting a letter in the mail asking for your resignation from the facility. one can only view what "they" say and if you rock the boat, may have to forfeit your membership. afterall, this is america..........

Why is the IRS hasseling me?
flush.r191677.gif

Billy Freedom Wayne -- you above all should know the answer to that!

Free thinking is open and allowed on all college campuses, as long as its liberal and Democratic. Lord knows we wouldn't want our students to have a chance at independent thinking.

This post was edited on 7/1 1:01 AM by AnnapSpider

Sorry, but as a liberal colleague told me, "If you are not a liberal or Democrat, then you are stupid."

Took SF's advice and emailed Tom last Thursday morning. Heard nothing yet. Will report if I do. Ulla, when can you meet Rambal and me for a beer?

Rumor has it that Biden spent the night at Ed's house. Just kidding

Man, you guys have your panties in a wad today. Something in the water? I try to be a centrist, and I hate nothing more than broad generalizations about both extremes -- in addition to being mostly inaccurate, they only solidify the mistrust and misunderstanding among people with different viewpoints and widen a gap that already is irreversibly damaging our country.

I could spout on about people on both ends who did this or that to me, but I'm not going to paint either side with that brush just based on a couple of experiences. There are idiots and saints among all groups of people, regardless of race, religion or politics. We'd be wise to remember that.

Got a nice response today from Tom Roberts. There's no policy on the TVs. We'll ask again and see how it goes. Thanks SF for letting me know who to contact. As for the rest of the posters on this thread, some of you take this stuff too seriously. I was just trying to stir things up during a slow sports time.
This post was edited on 7/1 9:02 PM by BillyWayne

but a little thing like having a tv channel denied to you does reflect where our country is today.

Yep -- time to move to Siberia! See you all there!

This post was edited on 7/2 11:40 AM by Eight Legger

afraid not, headed to tejas where everyone and all things are good

I am here all Summer Ulla except for the last week in July. Billy Wayne and I would love to meet you. I promise not to wear my VCU Gold Afro hair wig.

Ram Bal

be careful, he didn't say he would leave the lamb horns at home
wink.r191677.gif
I think you should have him wear his VCU Football, Still Undefeated t-shirt. Be sure to bring your marker so you can write, And Still Winless!

Fan1 - that's Chris "Pavarotti." I am a different guy. I use a tablet to write my stuff.

I really think Ulla would flip if he met me. I look more like someone who went to Richmond than VCU. I'd love to talk hoops with him over a cold one.

Ram Bal

Ram Bal, I've met you before, you're a good guy. Just giving you some grief.
cool.r191677.gif

Originally posted by WebSpinner:
but a little thing like having a tv channel denied to you does reflect where our country is today.

I love how you can take every little innocuous thing and turn it into your ongoing diatribe on how our country is going down the shi**er. Not to discount the fact the country has to face some problems, but we have throughout history faced much more difficult challenges (Civil War, WW2, the Depression, the daily threat of nuclear war for a couple decades) and emerged stronger. Somehow, I think we will manage this recession, which if you haven't notice is slowly but steadily getting better.

have not said anything about recession which is a normal part of the business cycle, have railed that our government spending is out of control and yet we still argue over cutting even small stuff in washington. big, big difference. if you are a big government guy then that is your deal and there is nothing to see here, understand that.

" I love how you can take every little innocuous thing and turn it into your ongoing diatribe ....."

I think this is the essence of a message board. A little like Seinfeld, a show about nothing.

This post was edited on 7/22 6:31 AM by Ulla1

Very true, Ulla. I was in an ornery mood yesterday, probably because I was working on a Sunday evening and jumped on Spinner. This is why I should limit myself to staying off the OT board and just on the hoops and football. I am probably in the minority opinion of most of the issues discussed over here. And Spinner, we do agree that government spending is out of control, just probably disagree on how and what to cut.

97, as a pragmatic person, say , cut everything, ALL programs and eliminate some depts but mainly cut, actually cut all spending on everything. in washington they say a cut is a reduction in the "increase" in spending ( in other words if the budget for the dept of education is supposed to go up by 10%, they cut that to 7% and say they cut spending) instead of really cutting the budgets back. both sides in washington want to continue things they way they always have and they just cannot do that. to be fair, just begin by cutting all budgets by 10% not the increase in the budget but the baseline budget. they all lie, hide the pea and smokescreen everything and they will never actually cut anything until such time as the thing collapses and then we are all cooked or at least those dependent on govt are cooked. if you are smart and plan and take care of yourself, then you will be OK or at least better off than those who depend on govt for everything.

97, agree or disagree, I enjoy all comments on this board; even RamBal and Billy Wayne have redeeming qualities. Please continue posting when you feel the urge. While a bit venomous, even Moliva's bite is not deadly.

Spinner, I would like to disagree with you, cause I like to, but in generally I agree with your points. A 10% budget cut might be a bit steep for a lot of agencies but I think you could direct federal agencies to cut say even 3-5% and make them cut it on administrative and overhead expenses versus actual services that those agencies deliver.

The sequester was billed as this big disrupter of government but now that it happens, the government is not on the verge of implosion as both parties said it would be leading up to the sequester. There are certain areas where because the sequester was such a broad brush that caused disruption (air traffic controllers for instance) but again if the parties worked together they could hold harmless certain critical functions and be more strategic with cuts.

My biggest issue with how government is run is amount of gerrymandering that goes on. It allows for the ideologues on both sides of the aisle to get elected and as a result, the House (state houses as well) in particular is dominated by legislators who lie far outside the mainstream and who refuse to compromise with the other side. Most House races are not even contested because they are drawn in such a way to ensure only 1 party can win it. And both parties ultimately pay the price by having these stern ideologoes get elected who end up working against their parities main goal anyway.

Look no farther than former governor Mark Warner for proof of what 97 is saying. I don't think Virginia has had a more moderate consensus-builder in that role, and he ran government like a business. Then he got elected to the Senate, and no one has heard a thing from him since. Why not? Because he's not attacking the other side enough, probably. He seems to be proof that you can't accomplish anything by trying to play nice, and that's sad.

have always thought highly of mark warner, not sure how he voted on obamacare but guess he voted democratic and thus for it and that is just wrong. he also just voted to allow the united nations to have control over certain guns, american guns, and that is way wrong, not that it is guns but just allowing the un with any say so over anything sovereign. thank goodness that bill failed even with obama pushing it. we need more virgil goodes, who just vote what they feel is right for their constituents and what is right for the country not what their party leader wants them to do. get rid of the seniority system where some whacko who has been in washington for 40 years has more power than my newly elected representative. they threaten to withhold their office budgets, their parking places, pencils, secretarys, etc. to get them to vote "their" way. wish we had term limits and no, elections don't solve the problem, we need limits just like we have with the president.

And as well respected as Mark Warner is in the Commonwealth, there are probably some gerrymandered house districts in Virginia where he would lose to some flame throwing right winger.

I think at one point Mark Warner had Presidential aspirations but as you said, unless you are throwing political haymakers all of the time at the other side, you get ignored.

it would have to be a gerrymandered district, how else could someone disagree with a democrat? You gotta love the left. They are all for free speech and open-mindedness until you disagree with them. Then you are a racist, homophobic, right wing nut job clinging to your gun and your Bible.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT