ADVERTISEMENT

Jake Wojcik - 2018 Signee

Really nice quote from his HS coach. The sort of stuff that you hope for but rarely get late in the recruiting season. Sounds like some terrific "intangibles," which are often of more value to a team than raw talent/athleticism. Here is what his HS coach had to say about him...
“His lasting impact here was his fierce competitive nature that defined his game,” Schneider said. “His relentless work ethic set the tone for constant improvement. He also instilled calm and courage in his teammates. That poise, skill set and competitiveness will be a great fit at Richmond.”

Actually sounds quite a bit like Buck, at least in terms of competitiveness...

86 was our only at large in the CAA, and we have had 2 in the A-10 and were the first team out a few years ago. The CAA is a 1 bid league now, while the A-10 still gets multiple teams in. No way is anyone in our program only focused on the conference tourney, and we should assume playing well enough to be in the at large talk should always be the goal.

Thanks for the correction, I knew you would come through for me. Richmond was in the CAA for 21 years and went to the NCAA 6 times. And let's not forget the last year we were in the CAA and qualified for the NCAA, but they wouldn't let us go. So that makes 7.

We've been in the A10 for 17 years and been to the NCAA 3 times. You can talk about 1 bid leagues, but these facts speak for themselves. And it doesn't matter how many at-large bids the A10 gets, if Richmond isn't one of them.

I am NOT advocating that we drop to a lower level league. I'm saying that if the reason for coming to the A10 was to have more opportunities for at-large bids, then we damn sure better be trying to win EVERY game. Not using OOC games to get ready for league play or as a way to learn mooney's system. That's what practices are for. I'm tired of the comments here that just want to focus on our A10 record; OOC games are not exhibition games.

And if it's taking our players a year/year and a half to learn the mooney system, isn't it about time he changes the system?

86 was our only at large in the CAA, and we have had 2 in the A-10 and were the first team out a few years ago. The CAA is a 1 bid league now, while the A-10 still gets multiple teams in. No way is anyone in our program only focused on the conference tourney, and we should assume playing well enough to be in the at large talk should always be the goal.

Mr Vt4700

What do you think about

Match defense and also about last years outof bounds sets

So with our current make up, we use the youth excuse for 2 more years, then possibly expect success?

Sarcasm. The kid looks like an unathletic spot up shooter. And that’s from looking at his highlights.
Fair enough. I agree with you about a possible lack of athleticism but I see an exceptional spot up shooter
Sarcasm. The kid looks like an unathletic spot up shooter. And that’s from looking at his highlights.
Fair enough. I agree with you about a possible lack of athleticism but I see a very good to excellent spot up shooter. I think a good get.

Think that Jake Wojcik is likely to surprise a lot of people. His father was a successful collegiate player. His father and his uncle have both led Division 1 basketball teams. Of course, there is no osmosis in college basketball talent, but a high basketball IQ (son of a coach like TJ Cline) is desirable and valuable. If he is the hard worker described by his coach he will only get better.

The tapes definitely show that he is a spot up shooter. But, he also has decent size and reportedly good ball handling skills. IQ, competitive spirit, and desire mixed with a little talent and hard work, could turn out to be very good thing.

Think that Jake Wojcik is likely to surprise a lot of people. His father was a successful collegiate player. His father and his uncle have both led Division 1 basketball teams. Of course, there is no osmosis in college basketball talent, but a high basketball IQ (son of a coach like TJ Cline) is desirable and valuable. If he is the hard worker described by his coach he will only get better.

The tapes definitely show that he is a spot up shooter. But, he also has decent size and reportedly good ball handling skills. IQ, competitive spirit, and desire mixed with a little talent and hard work, could turn out to be very good thing.
Yes sir!!

Very well said. This is a very good get for us. If he would have gone to Dayton or SLU, no question we would have heard on here that "they got another good one while we missed out again".

Almost as promising as Jesse Pistokache.
The first few times that Jesse P hit the floor for Richmond he showed some skills that had a lot of people encouraged. He then got in the coach's doghouse and was banished to Siberia. Rational people could disagree as to why he may not have been as successful here as we all would have liked. I would argue that talent and potential were not his biggest obstacles.

Almost as promising as Jesse Pistokache.

Was Pistokache 2 time POY in his high school conference ahead of multiple D1 talents (including P5 talent)? I am much more impressed with JW than I ever was with JP who I didnt really think was a good prospect. Hoping he can provide ~5 points per game this season.

Reactions: nathanw19
The first few times that Jesse P hit the floor for Richmond he showed some skills that had a lot of people encouraged. He then got in the coach's doghouse and was banished to Siberia. Rational people could disagree as to why he may not have been as successful here as we all would have liked. I would argue that talent and potential were not his biggest obstacles.
Jesse P was lost on defense from what I remember and that is why he sat. But look at where he transferred, does that not show where maybe his true talent level was?

Last edited:
Reactions: VT4700
I think Jake is a real nice addition. He’s not going to be the best athlete but from what I see he is a smart players and can really shoot.

He will need to work really hard on defense but I feel pretty good about this signing especially st this time of year. I’m not as keen on some of CM’s other late recruits but I think Jake is going to do well and exceed a lot of people’s expectations.

I remember one practice in which Mooney seemed to yell at Jesse every two minutes. It was clear that Jesse didn’t wind up in the doghouse for some irrational reason. Jesse wound up in the doghouse because he didn’t know what he was supposed to do.

Reactions: CarolinaSpider
I think Jake is a real nice addition. He’s not going to be the best athlete but from what I see he is a smart players and can really shoot.

He will need to work really hard on defense but I feel pretty good about this signing especially st this time of year. I’m not as keen on some of CM’s other late recruits but I think Jake is going to do well and exceed a lot of people’s expectations.
Why do you think he’s a really smart player? What in he video showed you that? The fact is people on this site think everyone we sign is going to be good, but the evidence shows us that at least half these guys turn out to be benchwarmers at best. Why do you keep getting sucked into the belief that these kids are going to make a difference? How many of our late recruits have ever made a big difference?

Reactions: frying pan

We used to "make fun" of Pistokache while playing pick up ball by turning around anytime we got the ball on offense and looking to pass. I always thought he looked overmatched or nervous as a freshman but when I saw him shooting around or playing in practice he looked a lot less reserved.

There's also the instance on campus that he got in trouble for. He never played another game after that happened.

Reactions: VT4700
I remember one practice in which Mooney seemed to yell at Jesse every two minutes. It was clear that Jesse didn’t wind up in the doghouse for some irrational reason. Jesse wound up in the doghouse because he didn’t know what he was supposed to do.

Not true and so far from the truth of what actually happened.

Why do you think he’s a really smart player? What in he video showed you that? The fact is people on this site think everyone we sign is going to be good, but the evidence shows us that at least half these guys turn out to be benchwarmers at best. Why do you keep getting sucked into the belief that these kids are going to make a difference? How many of our late recruits have ever made a big difference?

What program does not have benchwarmers? What program has every recruit contribute? Why would you expect us to be different than the other 300+ programs out there that have several benchwarmers and guys that don't play a lot on their roster?

I am excited about Wojcik and think he can help us right away. Obviously, you are not and that is fine, but to turn it into this latest post? Wow. Just wow.

Last edited:
What program does not have benchwarmers? What program has every recruit contribute? Why would you expect us to be different than the other 300+ programs out there that have several benchwarmers and guys that don't play a lot on their roster?

I am excited about Wojcik and think he can help us right away. Obviously, you are not and that is fine, but to turn it into this latest post? Wow. Just wow.
In any given year that is true but if half the team rides the pine for 4 years and doesn't contribute you have a problem.

We have the makings of a successful squad in 2020. Seriously, we have great young guys ready to play right now. Just add a couple. Stop whining folks! Whining gets us nowhere but the bottom of that beautiful lake. Don't jump off the dang gazebo!

Really nice quote from his HS coach. The sort of stuff that you hope for but rarely get late in the recruiting season. Sounds like some terrific "intangibles," which are often of more value to a team than raw talent/athleticism. Here is what his HS coach had to say about him...
“His lasting impact here was his fierce competitive nature that defined his game,” Schneider said. “His relentless work ethic set the tone for constant improvement. He also instilled calm and courage in his teammates. That poise, skill set and competitiveness will be a great fit at Richmond.”

Actually sounds quite a bit like Buck, at least in terms of competitiveness...
Dang it! Buck is gone! It sucks! This kid is not Buck...why do we make a HS kid with not a minute of D1 experience a potential Buck. We hosed Buck and he's gone. Onto the next 4 star...

Dang it! Buck is gone! It sucks! This kid is not Buck...why do we make a HS kid with not a minute of D1 experience a potential Buck. We hosed Buck and he's gone. Onto the next 4 star...

We hosed Buck. Lol. You must think the NFL hosed Ray Rice

Yes, it did happen. I brought my three kids and my mother in law to watch. Why would I make this up?

Wow. CNN level stuff here, I respond to you and you take the part I obviously wasn't responding to.

You said Pistokache was in the dog house because he didn't know what he was doing. That is completely untrue and not the reason. Please don't make statements and present them as fact when you don't know what actually happened.

PA,

Funny that you question me for complimenting one recruit while others are doing the same thing when I criticize other situations. I love that I get bashed by both sides now. You can’t win on this board. No matter what you say there is someone who doesn’t like it because it doesn’t fit their agenda. I call it like I see it. Sometimes it supports those who only want to bash the coaches and sometimes it supports those who only wear rose color glasses. I have no agenda, I’m here to be fair. I think this signee is going to surprise some in a good way, that’s all. I don’t claim he will replace Buck, I don’t claim he will be the next Gonzo (If I remember correctly he was a late spring commit who turned out pretty good for UR). It’s my opinion, Iike it or not, take it for what it’s worth, I don’t really care.

But to answer your question more clearly, I watched a good bit of tape on Jake to form my opinion. It’s just my opinion and I’m not an expert, but I do know a fair amount about the sport. I didn’t just watch a highlight real, I watched several games. I watched a lot of his games against rival St Francis, as well as significant amounts of his games against Serra, St Ignatius, Sacred Heart, Archbishop Mitty, Modesto Christian, and Franklin. Those games helped me validated what his coaches and other scouts have said that Jake has a high b-ball IQ.

I saw him play a lot of PG for Bellarmine. He handled the ball well and I saw him make smart decisions in a lot of different situations. He didn’t didn’t turn the ball over under pressure. He made a lot of good decisions against the press. He moved the ball well and distributed the ball to his teammates. He was good in the pick and roll. All things that helped validate that he makes smart decisions on the court.

Again just my unprofessional opinion.

You said his dad played in the NBA so I brought up another irrelevant fact about him.
Clearly you didn’t understand my post. Another poster said that it meant a lot that this new recruit had relatives that played in college. My point was that Piotrowski’s dad played in the NBA and his son was a non contributor. So I don’t read much into that.

Hosed Buck? That sounds like some old woman chain smoking cigarettes in the kitchen gossiping with her friends...

Reactions: gcarter52
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT