ADVERTISEMENT

'It’s Going to Change the Landscape': The NCAA's Transfer Revolution Is Here, and Its Impact Will Be Felt Far and Wide

32counter

Spider's Club
Apr 8, 2008
Siesta Key,FL

The D-I Council's approval of a one-time transfer for all college athletes without the need to sit out is a game-changing measure with many consequences.

Last edited:
The transfer portal is here and it’s here to stay. JMU has been hit by it already this offseason losing a couple of starters as a result. I do think the portal will calm down in a few years once guys realize that for every Joe Burrow like story that comes as a result of the portal there are 10 others who never pan out.

Last edited:
Reactions: urfan1
It’s the new reality. It’s hard for coaches but where there is a challenge there is also an opportunity. There will be winners & losers from this action. Those that embrace it and use it thoughtfully will come out ahead. I hope we are in that camp as opposed to just “wishing it like it was 10 years ago”

Reactions: urfan1
I didn’t quite understand it, but there was a sports commentator on ESPN that was saying that
when some of the schools start realizing they have filled up their scholarships with players that
only have a year or two, and are unable to bring in some top recruits things will still falling
back in place.

The transfer portal is here and it’s here to stay. JMU has been hit by it already this offseason losing a couple of starters as a result. I do think the portal will calm down in a few years once guys realize that for every Joe Burrow like story that comes as a result of the portal there are 10 others who never pan out.
The problem isn't going to be guys like Joe Burrow leaving a program like Ohio State. Ohio State can just plug in another player for every great one they lose. Beside, Burrow was buried on the bench.

The problem is going to be P5 schools annually raiding the top talent from G6 and FCS schools whenever they need to fill a hole.

The problem isn't going to be guys like Joe Burrow leaving a program like Ohio State. Ohio State can just plug in another player for every great one they lose. Beside, Burrow was buried on the bench.

The problem is going to be P5 schools annually raiding the top talent from G6 and FCS schools whenever they need to fill a hole.
Yes, I agree it's a problem. But as to Annap's point above, there are a finite number of scholarships, and as P5 schools poach talent from G6 and FCS, they "block" HS talent that would normally be coming in.

A HS star who is below the "can't miss" P5 level might find there's no room at the P5 inn, and wind up at G6 or FCS. Sure, some might just walk on at P5. I'd rather take a scholly at a non-P5 program knowing I could make a showing and transfer to a P5 school after proving myself.

Some of those studs might even choose to stay.

The long-term fallout for FCS programs may be that they have more talented kids than they used to get, but they can't count on them to stick around for 4 years.

And it's going to negatively impact mid- to low-major hoops more than football.

Essentially same number of football schools every year, same number of scholarships, just a new paradigm similar to a poker game where cards are reshuffled and dealt before each hand (years of eligibility).

Not ready to say it is good or bad for FCS. For those who play their FCS cards wisely, could work to their advantage.

Reactions: DTSpider and urfan1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT