ADVERTISEMENT

Isaiah Johnson-Arigu - 2024 Offer

In what form are we sending offers that so many kids call us Richmond University? I know it's going to happen here and there, but I'd love to know what our messaging looks like.

Most of the branding they get is probably “Richmond Spiders”.
You would think since this has happened so often that our staff would be very clear to recruits that we are the University of Richmond. It's all in the details, which we seem to consistently not be very attentive to.

I know a number of our football recruits have published photos of the offer letters we've sent them and they include multiple mentions of "University of Richmond" (though with the focus on "Spider Football" branding in huge letters across the top).

Don't believe I've seen a basketball offer letter, and actually not sure if these offers initially arrive in the form of a letter or if they're verbal offers over the phone or in person first with official stuff to follow.

Honestly, it doesn't bother me too much. Having seen "University of Duke" in some mentions, it's just the kids not paying all that much attention to the details.

Makes me wonder if we've ever signed anyone who posted their "Richmond University" offer on Instagram/Twitter, etc.

Isaiah picked up an offer from X the other day and yeah, not looking good for us lol.

giphy.gif

Solid list of visits lined up, and yeah, we're not included.

Announcement coming Saturday with Iowa, Northwestern, Miami, Texas Tech, and Virginia Tech as his finalists.

they pay well and it's a great school. and it's in Miami. hard to argue with that combination.

Reactions: Zeeter
To add to sman's post, they also made the final 8 in first year of their NIL super-boost plan and players get a lot of NIL opportunities/offers/money...why wouldn't a guy want to go to a school like that? If UR decided to be top 10 in NIL payments and it resulted in deep NCAA runs regularly, would everyone here take issue with it? Pretty sure we'd just be very happy fans.

If Ruiz's company does in fact turn out to be a Ponzi scheme, does anyone know if Miami will have to pay back the money he gave via the NIL? Or - worst case for a lot of people - if it did bypass the University and their collective paid the players directly, would the players then be on the hook for repayment? A quick google search of the Madoff fiasco references the term "clawback" for money the trustee went after.

To me, this doesn't sound so much like a Ponzi scheme as a terrible company that made up potential revenue numbers out of whole cloth and got people to buy into it.

To add to sman's post, they also made the final 8 in first year of their NIL super-boost plan and players get a lot of NIL opportunities/offers/money...why wouldn't a guy want to go to a school like that? If UR decided to be top 10 in NIL payments and it resulted in deep NCAA runs regularly, would everyone here take issue with it? Pretty sure we'd just be very happy fans.
Yeah, not gonna lie, I hate the NIL but if we could use it to our advantage, I'd be OK with it, in purpose but still not in principal.

If Ruiz's company does in fact turn out to be a Ponzi scheme, does anyone know if Miami will have to pay back the money he gave via the NIL? Or - worst case for a lot of people - if it did bypass the University and their collective paid the players directly, would the players then be on the hook for repayment? A quick google search of the Madoff fiasco references the term "clawback" for money the trustee went after.

To me, this doesn't sound so much like a Ponzi scheme as a terrible company that made up potential revenue numbers out of whole cloth and got people to buy into it.
I thought NIl money should in theory have nothing to do with the actual school. Those contracts should only be between athletes and businesses. I would assume the NIL money should never be in the hands of a school or guaranteed by a school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT