ADVERTISEMENT

Identity

SpiderFan26

Team Manager
Mar 11, 2012
Still confused as to what our game plan is. All spring and summer camp was running the ball, getting back to under center. But it seems we are going shotgun so much more than expected. We showed in the 4th that Fisher is truly All-American. But we try to throw too often which KL is not ready showed.

KL has showed promise, but doesn't have the arm strength or the experience to throw it as much as Strauss.

Other positives:

- Yoder was great. FGs and kickoffs
- DeAnthony Muse
- Fisher and Green played well

Negatives:

- DBs, very bad day
- Inconsistent pass protection
- the MEAC refs. Never again

Last edited:
We must run the ball to be effective this year, period. If we can run effectively that will free up Brown and Diggs on the outside. I like KL. He is goimg to be a good QB for us.

Reactions: SpiderFan26
at this point, a work in progress, should get better each game. vmi winning and have to feel this will be a tough game coming up. they are scoring points this season so far.

Still confused as to what our game plan is. All spring and summer camp was running the ball, getting back to under center. But it seems we are going shotgun so much more than expected. We showed in the 4th that Fisher is truly All-American. But we try to throw too often which KL is not ready showed.

KL has showed promise, but doesn't have the arm strength or the experience to throw it as much as Strauss.

Other positives:

- Yoder was great. FGs and kickoffs
- DeAnthony Muse
- Fisher and Green played well

Negatives:

- DBs, very bad day
- Inconsistent pass protection
- the MEAC refs. Never again

Agree with 26, very confused by O philosophy after hearing returning to run under center. Lauletta is not what we had but we do not seem committed to run,

Put me in the camp that Lauletta is going to be a great quarterback. The kid is like 40 for 64 with 2 tds and I pick in his first 2 college starts. The guy we had couldn't have made the play on the huge 3rd and 15, it was a helluva run. Plus saying we are running a pro style offense doesn't mean you're not in the shotgun. We ran a pro style offense with clawson and London and think how much Eric Ward was in the shotgun. To me it just means more play action, more throwing to the backs and more draws and screens.

To me it just means more play action, more throwing to the backs and more draws and screens.

And that's whats confusing. Backs only had 2 catches and TEs only had 2 catches. Lauletta is doing well, just was noting that I thought we would be hitting backs/tightends more, which is pro-style. Nothing against KL, just pointing out I thought some other guys would be involved more.

Sorry Mac for disagreeing, not trashing KL just making a simple observation.

Kyle is progressing nicely. We must remember he now has only started two games. He made several key decisions and plays yesterday in the second half that many on here could not see unless there in person. He made a key throw to Jacoby on 4th down threading the needle by a LB for a big gain. On the TD pass to Porter Abell, Kyle looked off the safety to create a window. On several occasions, he was elusive in the pocket and brings mobility we did not have last year at QB. He still holds the ball too long on occasions but his timing will only improve with more game experience. He also is being given much more freedom at the line to make audibles. It is a work in progress but the schedule allow for it at this point and he will be a much improved player each game. Lets be patient.

+1 jpo Kyle is showing a great deal of promise for the limited time he has played, although I hope for perfection, I don't expect, or demand it

Eric Ward 2006 Freshman Year:
Completions - 132
Attempts - 221
Percentage - 59.7%
Yards - 1424
TD - 11
INT - 6

Kyle Lauletta Freshman Year: (2 games)
Completions - 38
Attempts - 68
Percentage - 55.9%
Yards - 467
TD - 2
INT - 1

Matching up evenly with a hard guy to match up to

Reactions: paward and urfan1
Don't know what game you're watching, but IMO we are seeing a more balanced attack. 196 yards rushing (158 net) out of 405 total yards. And "pro style" isn't just I-formation so could care less if KL's under center or in shotgun. Adjusting to what the D is giving you is a big part of it as well. Seeing improvement in just 2 games and I'm sure there will be even more after this week. Confidence is the key and playing well in 2H and our D getting some stops will pay big dividends going forward. And while ST still gave up too many yards, at least punter and kicker seemed to be more effective in their game plan. Looking forward to first home game.

The other thing to keep in mind is the coaching staff making adjustments not only week to week but in game as well. You may go into a season with an idea of what you want the team identity and philosophy to be but if its not working and something else is then you go in that direction.

Reactions: Spidermaniac
you want to win games, that is the goal, not having an identity. have to be flexible and have a plan for each opponent and even then be able to adjust in game as well.

The other thing to keep in mind is the coaching staff making adjustments not only week to week but in game as well. You may go into a season with an idea of what you want the team identity and philosophy to be but if its not working and something else is then you go in that direction.
100% agree, Fan. And think our O really likes a faster pace and they feel they' re in better shape due to practicing it to get ready for season. So if it wears down opponent D, works for me. Being a little unpredictable can be a good thing, too.

Last edited:
Eric Ward 2006 Freshman Year:
Completions - 132
Attempts - 221
Percentage - 59.7%
Yards - 1424
TD - 11
INT - 6

Kyle Lauletta Freshman Year: (2 games)
Completions - 38
Attempts - 68
Percentage - 55.9%
Yards - 467
TD - 2
INT - 1

Matching up evenly with a hard guy to match up to
Not meaning to be picky, but Kyle isn't an eighteen year old freshman, this is his third year in the system. I think he will be good but I'm not ready to anoint him the next Eric Ward. Besides, Eric's best asset never showed up in the stat sheet (leadership)

Reactions: Hanca
Rick, wasn't trying to say KL is the next Eric Ward, as there will never be another one, just showing that his numbers for a first-year starter are good. And technically this isn't his third year in the system, its a brand new one. EW at least had the redshirt year

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT