ADVERTISEMENT

How did the Spiders look today?

PASpiderDad

Rookie
Sep 24, 2014
Just curious if anyone had comments on how the team looked today at the Spring Game.
Who were the standouts?
How did the offensive scheme look?
Thanks

I am amazed that you have not seen a large number of replies to your question. I am also relativley new to the team, so there are far better sources out there. Anyway, here is what I took away.

First, I have to again comment on what a great facility we have, and what a "classy" program we have. I sat up on the top row, under the shade, and really enjoyed the outing, and the very "polite" crowd.

Second, we had a pretty good crowd, but I managed to find a "shady" seat, even after kick-off. I'm sure the official attendance is out there, but this was a larger crowd than I expected.

Third, I came away with what I would describe as "cautious optimism." And our coach was also preaching a more "optimistic" outlook than I would have expected, in an apparent "rebuilding year." I really loved the work of our offensive line, which I beleive will be a team strength. I also liked what I saw from the wide receivers, and especially Diggs. They are good enough to make yardage after the catch. I also liked what I saw from the running backs (Looks like we go 3-4 deep).

Fourth, I was looking for "boring," based on the fact that Streeter was now gone, but the new OC called a relatively interesting game, with a nice mix of runs and passes. There were even some throws to running backs, which I like to see.

Fifth, I was expecting terrible kicking and special teams play, based on some "issues" in the past couple of years. I was impressed by the kicking game overall, and believe that Jacobi Green will give us some "electric moments" as a punt returner, and hopefully as a kick-off returner too. Our punting was decent and our few kicks were good.

Sixth, my biggest concern is the play or our QBs, which is pretty darned important. Both our QBs seemed to take one to two seconds too long to decide what to do with the ball. That can be deadly. Since both have been around at least 2 years, I was surprised to see what appeared to be real "hesitation" out there. There were also a few "sacks," that were caused more by the QBs taking too much time than by poor OL play, (or great DL play) in my view.

I have no real feedback on the defense, except that we got one very nice INT. Unfortunately, KL just threw that one up for grabs, and one of our DB's managed to snag it. I hope that we will have enough depth on the DL. I focused mostly on the offense, so please get all defensive intel elsewhere.

If I had to summarize my impressions they would be as follows: This team is probably not expected to do much this year, and I beleive we will exceed those low expectations. If the QB's can make faster reads than I saw them make today, and get the ball out of there at least one second quicker, we may even have a respectable passing game. However, I expect this team to depend on the run game, based on some strength up front and at RB. So, it could be a more boring, but quietly effective, season. If by chance we manage to upset Maryland, watch out...

Depth still the biggest issue. Dropoffs on both OL and DL. Jarriel Jordan is the clear #3 corner, had a great spring.

Defensive LB and secondary will be better than last year, but DL still the big question. Really hoping for a good pass rush that we have been missing

Hamlin is a beast. Fisher is going to have a very hard time beating him out for the RB job this fall.

I too left more optimistic than I expected. I think we now have two dual threat QB's which will help extend plays and add a weapon we have not had recently. This could become a key piece in our offense as most FCS elite teams seem to have this type of QB. I was also impressed with physical improvements that were obvious with multiple players. Good to see Mack being aggressive in the secondary as we struggled tacking from the safety position last year. Punting and kicking should not be an issue as we appear solid there. Latham remains a great asset with long-snapping.

losing as many seniors as we did I was pleasantly surprised. I thought it was odd the offense got a 15 point head start especially after they drove down the field on the first drive. The defense effort increased and the score evened out before the day was over. Fisher not playing hurt, Moon looks heavier and took more of a full back type role. The passing game needs some work, timing etc. I like some of our d backs are 6'0" which will help with taller receivers.

Sounds pretty good given that WR Jarmal Bevels suffered a knee injury during spring practice and will miss the 2015 season.Along with Bevels five(5)projected starters didn't participate in spring ball as they are recovering from injuries: senior safety David Herlocker, redshirt sophomore defensive lineman Brandon Waller, junior defensive lineman Kieran Gregory, redshirt senior defensive back Trevor Jones and redshirt senior tailback Seth Fisher

It looks like we will be able to run the ball next season. Both the O line and running backs look strong. This could be important to give the QB time to settle in and become adjusted. Certainly we have guys who can catch and run with the ball as well. First team D looked good at times. We still keep our DBs well off wide receivers which drives me crazy personally, but then I am not a coach. Second team D appears small. As already stated on this thread depth could be a problem. The schedule also does us no favors with away games at Maryland, New Hampshire, James Madison and Villanova. All that said, we have often had our best years when not much was expected like 2008.

I got curious and looked it up. Actually, we were pre-season #4. Finished 3rd in the CAA South regular season.. Lost 3 of our first 7 games. That's was when no one expected much.
This post was edited on 4/20 6:23 PM by MooreHall73

I was very impressed with the running game on Saturday. Hamlin and Collins both ran well and the play of the offensive line was pleasantly surprising. The first group looked solid and the second group paved the way for Collins and others to have some nice runs. It is great to see Nick Ritcher completely healthy again anchoring the first group. Jared Coker looked strong and in shape out there making some big holes. Overall, I am optimistic and the future looks bright.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT