ADVERTISEMENT

Harleys & Helicopters

Flucospider

Star
Gold Member
Dec 15, 2008
Fluvanna
Now that's worth a discussion. Had a visitor here at the hangar in Charlottesville today. Which one would a president rather ride on?
smile.r191677.gif

No I fly a corporate jet based in Charlottesville. As a former Marine, the Marines at the Presidential Helicopter Squadron HMX-1 know me and use our hangar when they come to town. Great group of guys!

Fluco, is that odd, you were a rotor guy yet you fly jets as now? always thought pilots stuck to their deal, although don't know your deal completely, other than flying the choppers while a marine. G4, 5? also, since you fly a corporate, what is the word on the honda jets, as good as all the other stuff they make or are they out of their league on this endeavor?

This post was edited on 8/29 5:09 PM by WebSpinner

Spinner, I received my fixed wing time when I was a Flight Instructor in the T-34C based in Corpus Christi. All Naval Aviators start in the fixed wing trainer and then move to helos, jets or transports. I was fortunate enough to come back as an instructor and got enough hours to get a commuter job flying SAABs for Business Express out of New York and then landed this job 12 years ago flying a Falcon 20. The Honda jet appears to be a great aircraft and is being assembled in Greensboro, NC. On the small side, but great personal use jet.

thanks, learn something new every day, was unaware of the naval process, cool. was really excited when i read that honda was going to build personal jets but then the economy deal hit and was not sure if they would follow through. think i read that they do not build their own engines, maybe GE? it is rather small and not quite as gorgeous as i, personally like but still neat. the falcon is a great looking plane, how many hours do you get in per month?

Marine One's pilot is the son of a H-SC fraternity brother of mine, himself a Marine Corps 2 star general, now retired.

Here is the Falcon 20, Dassault makes an excellent aircraft. Introduced in the US in the 60s & 70s and made its name as the first cargo plane for FedEx. They have one in the Smithsonian Air museum in FedEx colors

Falcon003.jpg

Fluco, since you are in that business, to a degree, what is the deal with NETJETS? know it is a warren buffet enterprise but how does it work from a pilot's point of view? do the pilots work exclusively with NJ and are on call whenever someone wants a flight? saw where buffet ordered a bunch of new aircraft, may have been falcons, cannot remember and see a lot of golfers on the PGA tour wearing their advertising and they probably use the service to get from one location to the other. if you know nothing, do not feel bad, just thought you might keep up with what is going on in that industry.

With NJ a owner buys a share of a jet, 1/4 or 1/8 depending on how much they plan to fly. Then they pay a monthly fee for pilots, maintenance and fuel depending on usage and how large their share is. Gets someone into a jet much cheaper and good if they only use it a few hours every month. The pilots work only for NJ and fly 7 on, 7 off on the one aircraft they are qualified on. The owner is guaranteed a jet within several hours of request and will get a jet he owns a share in or a larger jet if that model is not available, but never a smaller jet. I think they ordered over 160 new jets total. The pilots I know like it and seems to be a good company and has withstood this slowdown pretty well with some lay offs in 2008. Most of the laid off pilots are getting call back soon.

PS: Their tail numbers usually end in QS which stands for quarter share, which is how they started. Example if you see N201QS or any jet ending in QS on the ramp, its probably a NJ aircraft

do you ever get the jitters while flying in a french built jet? just kidding but do hope they build better aircraft than they do automobiles. it is a real good looking aircraft.

Great informative thread. Knew all Naval service pilots started in fixed wing. Our son who ended up as Navy Supply Officer went through flight school at Pensacola. The deal was when he graduated from UVA Navy ROTC the options were Navy surface, subs, air, or Marines. One could not go straight to being a Supply Officer. And Fluco continue to look for you on your Spider Harley.

hey Fluco, what type of fixed wing, non-jet, do the marines fly? what is the osprey considered? did you ever get a shot in a harrier, that would be a cool experience. think the new strike fighter is going to be of that mode but with a lot more power and speed.

The only non jets are the T-6A Texan II Trainer and the C-130 Hercules. The Osprey or MV-22 is considered a helo in that pilots come from that pipeline and it is replacing the CH-46 helicopter. Never flew a "Scarrier" as they were known, but fun to watch and good at close air support as long as we have air superiority.

hey, if arnold can fly a harrier, know you can. know the 130, a great plane for decades, still is. is the texan, a single engine deal? just cannot envision the SEA KNIGHT being replaced by the osprey but guess they have so much invested in it have to make it work, just looks awkward to me.

Glad they got the bugs worked out of the V-22. My stepson is a Naval Academy grad who wanted to fly, but is color blind and couldn't pass the physical. He ended up in fast attack subs (USS Louisville). His cousin flys F/A 18 superhornet off the Abraham Lincoln. Fulco am I too old (63) to take a demo flight in one? The wife says yes, yet she has okayed a skydive on my next birthday after confirming that my life insurance is up to date.

Rick, to make that jump even more special, how about doing it at a SPID football game, what an entrance and we would all be there in case there were complications. not much we could really do to help you but we could all hold a drink up in your honor. what a way to go and your bride would still have the life insurance.

Only one contemplating his own mortality would think that way and definitely agree it would be quite a way to go pulling for the Spiders. "Spider born and Spider bred I'll be a Spider when I'm dead."

Fluco, driving a Sea Knight is a ton harrier than exiting an aircraft with a chute. you are way too modest. can see you and Rick hitting the 50 yard line at the ROB before a game, free ticket but you would be wearing those silly clothes the rest of the game.

I'm a little rusty on jumping. I have made about 45-50 jumps, but that was 35 years ago now. I have been antsy to do it again, because there's nothing more exciting that you can do (with your clothes on). I'd love to jump into Robins Stadium, but you need a Class D license for that and I never got past B. Fulco, maybe you could pilot, but how slow can that Falcon go and still remain airborne? You need to throttle back to about 90 knots.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT