ADVERTISEMENT

GW dropping Colonials nickname

I vote for "Ole Hickory" or whatever species those wooden teeth were made. Or maybe Wooden Teeth or Dentured as opposed to Indentured.

Reactions: SpiderK
Mason Patriots will be erased soon also.
Yea the term Patriots is now associated with Nationalism and pride in your country. That offends those who hate America, so we must appease them and remove the word Patriot from our vocabulary, so that maybe, just maybe, they won’t burn down the library.

Reactions: SpiderK
I'm surprised G-Dubs didn't make the list.

We could all get together to watch the Spiders beat the G-Dubs at B-Dubs.

UNCW probably has the trademark on the "Dub". It is odd that all those GW options, at least any that I can think of, are not nicknames elsewhere in US college or pros. Maybe the trademarks r too strong these days. My guess is why Continentals didn't make list even tho it's just Hamilton College with it. Spiders was heavily rumored for MLB Cleveland but didn't happen fortunately.

What was the last new sports nickname that was a repeat? Nothing is coming to mind that was recent.

Last edited:
I think the Kraken was pretty original. The Vegas Golden Knights before that. Columbus Blue Jackets before that.

Last edited:
I think the Kraken was pretty original. The Vegas Golden Knights before that. Columbus Blue Jackets before that.

For sure. I meant the last one that was a repeat! My bad I totally wrote wrong & just went back and edited. All of them seem to be originals these days and I'm just theorizing that a key factor why is because they don't want a trademark infringement battle. Nobody is just going with the Tigers.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Lots of people being triggered by something that doesn't impact them in the least, or even involve our school.

How many times u responded to it?

They r in our league and somewhat a rival. I don’t remember a thread about Valpo.

Take away the woke aspect and the whole branding nickname logo etc part I find interesting overall.

Reactions: fatherspider
Lots of people being triggered by something that doesn't impact them in the least, or even involve our school.
It involves our society and the lunacy of it. Changing names to appease a miniscule faction of complete nutjobs is relevant debate material. And its certainly more interesting than chatting about Moonball.

For sure. I meant the last one that was a repeat! My bad I totally wrote wrong & just went back and edited. All of them seem to be originals these days and I'm just theorizing that a key factor why is because they don't want a trademark infringement battle. Nobody is just going with the Tigers.
I don't quite get this either. There are about 200 Wildcats all over the place, but none of them are suing each other. Meanwhile, every Washington football fan wanted the team to be renamed the Redwolves but somehow because Arkansas State uses that nickname, an NFL franchise can't? It's completely illogical.

Then on the other hand, you have the Cleveland Indians renaming themselves the Guardians when there literally was another active team called the Cleveland Guardians already, and now this season there's an XFL team in another city called the Guardians. Haven't heard about any lawsuits from that.

Do we have a copyright attorney in here who can explain this? I really can't imagine how any team could lay claim to any nickname.

Reactions: GKiller and SpiderK
The Colonials?? They only took on the greatest army of their time and won. Who would want to use that example as a model for a sports team? Maybe the Hessians a better name. We should have won but didn't. Therefore we are offensive to no one.... Welcome to the 21st century.

No irony here at all! Probably haven't taken into consideration 2 Corinthians 5:20:
We are ambassadors for Christ........... Hmmmm maybe they are unaware of that usage and under the misapprehension that the rest of the world is as well.

The Colonials?? They only took on the greatest army of their time and won. Who would want to use that example as a model for a sports team? Maybe the Hessians a better name. We should have won but didn't. Therefore we are offensive to no one.... Welcome to the 21st century.
We “Colonials” beat the Hessians three times over the years. We are like VCU to the Hessians.

Yea the term Patriots is now associated with Nationalism and pride in your country. That offends those who hate America, so we must appease them and remove the word Patriot from our vocabulary, so that maybe, just maybe, they won’t burn down the library.
The mob that tried to overthrow the government on Jan. 6, some of whom have now been convicted of sedition and other crimes and sent/sentenced to prison, tried to pass themselves off as "patriots." One just got 18 years in jail. He should have been lined up and shot.

They are the people who hate America so much they tried to end democracy.

Last edited:
Those guys to tried to overthrow the government on Jan. 6, and who have now been convicted of sedition and sentenced to prison, tried to pass themselves off as "patriots." One just got 18 years in jail. He should have been lined up and shot.

They consider themselves…Revolutionaries.

& I guess study abroad for GW students is now canceled in Great Britain. Can’t wear that on a T shirt there. Tho it might not even fit on a shirt anyway.

The mob that tried to overthrow the government on Jan. 6, some of whom have now been convicted of sedition and other crimes and sent/sentenced to prison, tried to pass themselves off as "patriots." One just got 18 years in jail. He should have been lined up and shot.

How to you feel about the 2020 crowd? Consider them Patriots? 1 to 2 billion in personal property damage, over a thousand police officer injured, scores of folks killed, including two in your "Summer of Peace" NW area. Repeated attempts to destroy the Hatfield Federal Courthouse in Portland. Anyone prosecuted? Few...very few.

Why the double standard? I condemn both. Do you? Patriotism is not determined by your party affiliation.

How to you feel about the 2020 crowd? Consider them Patriots? 1 to 2 billion in personal property damage, over a thousand police officer injured, scores of folks killed, including two in your "Summer of Peace" NW area. Repeated attempts to destroy the Hatfield Federal Courthouse in Portland. Anyone prosecuted? Few...very few.

Why the double standard? I condemn both. Do you? Patriotism is not determined by your party affiliation.
Take the politics talk to an Off Topics thread please.

T, understand and agree, but you replied to my post when I did not introduce the topic. Need to go up several posts above mine for the unwanted cross pollination which is unwarranted as we agree.

That said, even though did not introduce politics, not going to let pure BS go unanswered regardless of forum or topic.

T, understand and agree, but you replied to my post when I did not introduce the topic. Need to go up several posts above mine for the unwanted cross pollination which is unwarranted as we agree.

That said, even though did not introduce politics, not going to let pure BS go unanswered regardless of forum or topic.
LOL. And you replied to Wood's post when he did not introduce the topic.

You say you are not going to let pure BS (in your opinion) go unanswered. Well, what part of what Wood said was BS? Seemed like all facts to me. Not his opinion, but facts. Yet, you feel it is perfectly fine for you to respond to Wood, but not okay for Wood to respond to fatherspider?

LOL. And you replied to Wood's post when he did not introduce the topic.

You say you are not going to let pure BS (in your opinion) go unanswered. Well, what part of what Wood said was BS? Seemed like all facts to me. Not his opinion, but facts. Yet, you feel it is perfectly fine for you to respond to Wood, but not okay for Wood to respond to fatherspider?
KE won't acknowledge facts if they don't agree with his political narrative. And for the record KE, in my opinion anyone who breaks the law should be prosecuted for their crimes, I certainly agree with you on that.

Reactions: VT4700
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT