ADVERTISEMENT

GW dropping Colonials nickname

Pick your favorite new nickname!

Ambassadors, Blue Fog, Catalysts, Fireworks, Independents, Monumentals, Revolutionaries, Sentinels, Squad, or Truth

Was really hoping for the elephants or the dumbos based on what we heard on a college admission tour recently

Blue Fog is really the only one of those that doesn't sound like Commanders 2.0 in terms of lack of creativity.

Pick your favorite new nickname!

Ambassadors, Blue Fog, Catalysts, Fireworks, Independents, Monumentals, Revolutionaries, Sentinels, Squad, or Truth

So Colonials is not allowed because of some incorrect connotations, but the Revolutionaries makes their list??

The academic elite!

Reactions: SpiderK and whampas
Maybe the strategy w these monikers is to embarrass George Washington so badly they can then change the name of the school entirely. Like any descendant of GW will be like no no please rename the school we beg u. Sentinels is clear winner to me btw only 1 that is good imo.

Reactions: SpiderK
Maybe the strategy w these monikers is to embarrass George Washington so badly they can then change the name of the school entirely. Like any descendant of GW will be like no no please rename the school we beg u. Sentinels is clear winner to me btw only 1 that is good imo.
Ftr, the Washington Sentinels were great in that strike year under Footsteps Falco. Just sayin.

Reactions: urfan1 and GKiller
It does seem a bit silly, but interesting that the actual George Washington didn’t like the term Colonial. That should have been enough not to use it in the first place. Revolutionaries would be better.

It does seem a bit silly, but interesting that the actual George Washington didn’t like the term Colonial. That should have been enough not to use it in the first place. Revolutionaries would be better.
yeah, I like GW Revolutionaries.
but as we now know Washington owned like 300 slaves, it's a matter of time before the entire school name is changed.

Then go with the Continentals. That was his national army. Actually surprised Continentals not on list it must make too much sense. Must get in Fireworks or Squad instead.

But Revolutionaries to me is just hypocritical if u r removing Colonials. They r changing name bc it offends their international students who perceive it wrongly as colonization when in fact we were fighting against it. Other words even synonyms perhaps of Revolution r Coup and um…Insurrection. Storm the Capitol! Those Jan 6ers view themselves as Revolutionaries. Name doesn’t bother me at all & in a vacuum it works, maybe too many syllables, but it can easily be perceived as offensive as Colonials. But I guess it’s different bc your students wear Che Guevara t shirts around campus to act cool.

Then go with the Continentals. That was his national army. Actually surprised Continentals not on list it must make too much sense. Must get in Fireworks or Squad instead.

But Revolutionaries to me is just hypocritical if u r removing Colonials. They r changing name bc it offends their international students who perceive it wrongly as colonization when in fact we were fighting against it. Other words even synonyms perhaps of Revolution r Coup and um…Insurrection. Storm the Capitol! Those Jan 6ers view themselves as Revolutionaries. Name doesn’t bother me at all & in a vacuum it works, maybe too many syllables, but it can easily be perceived as offensive as Colonials. But I guess it’s different bc your students wear Che Guevara t shirts around campus to act cool.
our revolution is deemed justified or at least it is here (since the winners get to write the history books).
coups and insurrections are terms usually given to revolutions that fail.

as for the Continentals, maybe after they change the school name from George Washington ... to Lincoln.
;)

Actually, George freed his slaves upon his death. Martha had slaves from before their marriage. He did not have the legal right to free those.

Conditionally. He immediately freed his personal valet Billy Lee who served alongside him closely during Revolutionary War. All other slaves were freed upon his wife's death not his, tho she freed them earlier.

For those who have never been to Mt. Vernon it's worth it. And the drive down the GW Parkway is one of the best in the Commonwealth imo and certainly in the DC area.

Reactions: urfan1
Conditionally. He immediately freed his personal valet Billy Lee who served alongside him closely during Revolutionary War. All other slaves were freed upon his wife's death not his, tho she freed them earlier.

For those who have never been to Mt. Vernon it's worth it. And the drive down the GW Parkway is one of the best in the Commonwealth imo and certainly in the DC area.
It is a beautiful place, we are lucky to still have it, for now.

Reactions: GKiller
our revolution is deemed justified or at least it is here (since the winners get to write the history books).

as for the Continentals, maybe after they change the school name from George Washington ... to Lincoln.
;)

Exactly. But we can't act like all Revolutions have positive connotations they don't. & Colonial here isn't the connotation others have of it globally. So what's the difference. idk I wouldn't go to some school in Russia, Ecuador, Nigeria, Singapore etc. and tell them to change the name of a local school in a country I probably don't have a good historical understanding of, and expect or want them to change a name because it might mean something else to me in my native country.

The Continentals. It took me 5 secs to come up with a better name than the Committee. And I don't know of any sports teams with that nickname either. If they want unique it can be that. But I guess it would never work....American continentalism or something.

Reactions: gospidersgo

;)
VCU is changing their name to “The Spider Stompers”

Reactions: whampas

Or you could walk the 14.8 miles of the Mount Vernon Trail from Teddy Roosevelt Island.

I agree about GW Parkway. Although I'm usually going the other way (from 395 to Bethesda).

Or you could walk the 14.8 miles of the Mount Vernon Trail from Teddy Roosevelt Island.

I agree about GW Parkway. Although I'm usually going the other way (from 395 to Bethesda).

Trail is incredible. No other place u go by so many historic spots. & u can stop in middle in Old Town Alexandria or stop at end in Georgetown. But I'm not walking that what the hell is wrong with u ha. Biked it tho.

The Continentals. It took me 5 secs to come up with a better name than the Committee. And I don't know of any sports teams with that nickname either. If they want unique it can be that. But I guess it would never work....American continentalism or something.
Hamilton College is the Continentals...one of my top three schools I considered before settling on UR! Their colors are also Buff and Blue.

Reactions: SpiderK
Hamilton College is the Continentals...one of my top three schools I considered before settling on UR! Their colors are also Buff and Blue.

TY. We can count on u SF. Still pretty unique and would be only one in D1.

& hope Hamilton College doesn't form a committee.

interesting read. thanks.

so it seems less than half of the Washington slaves were dower slaves that could not legally be freed. the rest could be freed at any time. not sure how magnanimous it was to only free them upon his death, and then only after the crops are harvested.

impossible to hold historical figures to today's standards. it was a different world. but maybe not the great guy I was taught about in school. heck of a General, though.

Reactions: fatherspider

so it seems less than half of the Washington slaves were dower slaves that could not legally be freed. the rest could be freed at any time. not sure how magnanimous it was to only free them upon his death, and then only after the crops are harvested.

impossible to hold historical figures to today's standards. it was a different world. but maybe not the great guy I was taught about in school. heck of a General, though.
He was much greater than the guy you were taught about in school. Read the Ron Chernow book when you get a chance. He was the right man at the right time. No one has come close since.

Trail is incredible. No other place u go by so many historic spots. & u can stop in middle in Old Town Alexandria or stop at end in Georgetown. But I'm not walking that what the hell is wrong with u ha. Biked it tho.
Well, about a dozen years ago I was in Arlington with a woman who does daily crossfit and she was considering RUNNING it. I said I'd WALK from TR Island to Merchant Marine and back...

It is a very complicated story. Have a podcast that delves into it in great detail. I will post it when I have a chance on Off Topics under the Anachnid's Woke thread.

Reactions: GKiller
What's wrong with Colonials?
“It is divisive” per the Board of Trustees. Lol. How can Colonials be divisive? I guess two or three nutjob liberal lunatics somehow associated it with some group being repressed and complained. And if liberals complain, you better listen or they may burn the library down. Totally moronic!!

Owning slaves was a part of life back in those times, certainly in the south, but also in parts of the north. Most slaves were inherited and a consequence of being born a land owner. Simply freeing slaves and leaving them to earn for themselves was not as simple as one might think. Society dictated what life pursuits were available for African Americans more than any individual. A freed slave family couldnt easily uproot, start a trade business, and build a homestead.
Imo the question shouldnt be whether historical figures owned slaves, but how they treated them.

Owning slaves was a part of life back in those times, certainly in the south, but also in parts of the north. Most slaves were inherited and a consequence of being born a land owner. Simply freeing slaves and leaving them to earn for themselves was not as simple as one might think. Society dictated what life pursuits were available for African Americans more than any individual. A freed slave family couldnt easily uproot, start a trade business, and build a homestead.
Imo the question shouldnt be whether historical figures owned slaves, but how they treated them.
You mean like, if they wanted to leave?

• Haha
Reactions: fatherspider
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT