ADVERTISEMENT

Furman disbands MLAX

32counter

Spider's Club
Apr 8, 2008
Siesta Key,FL

• A voluntary 20% salary reduction for the president and a voluntary 10% salary reduction for the vice presidents, athletics director, head coaches for football and men's basketball, and other more highly compensated employees.
• A 5.5% reduction in operating budgets for the next fiscal year.
• A reduction of 2.5 percentage points in Furman's contribution to employee retirement plans.
• Summer furloughs for employees with diminished workloads, and two weeks of furloughs (or equivalent) for all other employees to be taken during the next fiscal year. Furman's human resources office will assist furloughed employees, who will retain their health benefits, with applying for unemployment and other assistance.
• Discontinuing the baseball and men's lacrosse programs immediately, and reducing the total number of athletics scholarships by 45 over the next five years, with the reductions spread across multiple sports.

Could mean UR has an opening to join CAA MLAX if other SoCon teams call it quits.AF is an outlier that could go independent along with Utah,Denver(Big East).
Little Bellarmine may not have a big enough account to continue to play in the D1 sandbox.

Last edited:
Yeah, definitely some shaky ground, but enticing to think UR could come out of a shuffle in better shape.

CAA definitely a natural fit for UR given existing football affiliation with football and formerly women's golf. Unfortunately, the southern CAA schools don't play lacrosse.

ACC is the dream, but it would take a lot for them to bend and accept an associate member. Big East (G'town) and Big Ten (Terps and Hopkins) have at least some geographic fit, but don't see those as likely.

Yeah, definitely some shaky ground, but enticing to think UR could come out of a shuffle in better shape.

CAA definitely a natural fit for UR given existing football affiliation with football and formerly women's golf. Unfortunately, the southern CAA schools don't play lacrosse.

ACC is the dream, but it would take a lot for them to bend and accept an associate member. Big East (G'town) and Big Ten (Terps and Hopkins) have at least some geographic fit, but don't see those as likely.

Let’s see what Denver does.If they opt out of the BE and go independent with Utah and AF,that could open up a slot in the BE for UR.

• A voluntary 20% salary reduction for the president and a voluntary 10% salary reduction for the vice presidents, athletics director, head coaches for football and men's basketball, and other more highly compensated employees.
• A 5.5% reduction in operating budgets for the next fiscal year.
• A reduction of 2.5 percentage points in Furman's contribution to employee retirement plans.
• Summer furloughs for employees with diminished workloads, and two weeks of furloughs (or equivalent) for all other employees to be taken during the next fiscal year. Furman's human resources office will assist furloughed employees, who will retain their health benefits, with applying for unemployment and other assistance.
• Discontinuing the baseball and men's lacrosse programs immediately, and reducing the total number of athletics scholarships by 45 over the next five years, with the reductions spread across multiple sports.
I hate seeing a great school like Furman having these troubles. Call me sentimental or just foolish, but this is a shame.

Furman sponsored way too many varsity sports (20) for a school its size and endowment ($700 million). Still surprised baseball and lacrosse got axed.

Furman is a fine older school, much like Richmond it is small, but very good. I personally have absolutely no reason to care other than they have been part of UR history for a long time,

This sucks and expect this in a bunch of other sports at other schools. Sports like tennis and golf are more likely to be spared because cheaper costs but sports like lax and especially baseball at other schools maybe soccer too should be sweating.

Strange on its face but I bet Culver is paying more. Great school huge campus & has lot of $ including from the Steinbrenner family. More stable gig. Think VMI should be ok they’ve been playing lacrosse for a while.

The previous VMI coach is now the AD at my high school. VMI's not exactly a stepping stone job, although Pressler started out there as their first coach.

10-50 record for Birsner ain't going to cut it, even at VMI.

Strange on its face but I bet Culver is paying more. Great school huge campus & has lot of $ including from the Steinbrenner family. More stable gig. Think VMI should be ok they’ve been playing lacrosse for a while.
I remember playing VMI in 1969 on the old Westhampton field . So, yep, they’ve been around for a while.LOL

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT