ADVERTISEMENT

End of an Era - - And I don't mean the Rocco era

This is sort of contradictory in my mind. Danny is a class guy. If he is moving solely for money etc. he doesn't go out of his way to blow things up. He's pissed and he's bitter about something and that isn't simply that someone else offered him more money.

I starting to think this was a play for concessions at UR and it didn't work to his liking. Egos got in the way and UD won out.

This is sort of contradictory in my mind. Danny is a class guy. If he is moving solely for money etc. he doesn't go out of his way to blow things up. He's pissed and he's bitter about something and that isn't simply that someone else offered him more money.
I definitely see your point about the contradiction, but would a classy coach really blow up a program and hurt his players if he was really a true class act? I'm not saying he isnt a great guy, but his actions are also contradictory to his public persona. I would honestly love if he would come out down the road and really explain what happened.

What I have been observing over the past couple weeks does not indicate that DR is a classy guy. Even if he got fired up about something and misspoke, he had time to walk it back. He did not. I don't see this class that so many are mentioning.

Rocco is a straight shooter and doesn't beat around the bush. He answered the questions he was asked and his "vision" reply was the one that attracted the attention. From his character I give him the benefit of the doubt and think that reply snowballed more than he gave it any forethought. Then the drama begin with the publicity.

UR is truly my Alma Mater (norturing mother). Coaches coming and going does not bother me. Not sure how to put it...but I am concerned with the employees of UR that are not tied to the university beyond a paycheck or stepping stone having hidden agendas to change UR to something most of us do not want. I am just concerned about UR remaining a special place.

Some facts:

Records over the past 10 years
UD - 65 - 55 (54.2%) UR 92 - 42 (68.6%)

Conference records over the past 10 years:
UD 38 - 43 (46.9%) UR 52 - 30 (63.4%)

Play-Off Appearences over the last 10 years
UD 2 (4 - 1) UR 6 (11 - 5)

Play-off appearences over the last 5 years
UD 0 UR 3 (5 - 3)

Now, explain to me again why Delaware is the better selection and also explain how UR is not committed to championship football at the FCS level?

Some facts:

Records over the past 10 years
UD - 65 - 55 (54.2%) UR 92 - 42 (68.6%)

Conference records over the past 10 years:
UD 38 - 43 (46.9%) UR 52 - 30 (63.4%)

Play-Off Appearences over the last 10 years
UD 2 (4 - 1) UR 6 (11 - 5)

Play-off appearences over the last 5 years
UD 0 UR 3 (5 - 3)

Now, explain to me again why Delaware is the better selection and also explain how UR is not committed to championship football at the FCS level?
I nominate Rivercup to go speak to our players and recruits Pronto!!!!

Reactions: RobinsHall98
Personally, I think most of you are out of your flipping minds.

Rocco's vision is to win a national championship. Last year, he got to see first hand the gap between Richmond and NDSU. So, he lobbies for things that he feels he needs to beat the likes of NDSU. He is denied by the administration. In that sense, his vision for the football program is not in synch with the administration. So, if he thinks he is fighting a losing battle with the administration, why would he stay? Why wouldn't he go somewhere else that has the same vision for excellence that he has. One can only assume that Delaware was the choice because they shared his vision and not simply to spite Richmond. After all, he is getting older and his window for winning a title is shrinking.

I'm thankful for what Coach Rocco did for our program and hope he always loses to us. This mess lies at the feet at the administration.

I think Rocco is going to make UD into a monster. They will be a top 3 fcs program very soon and easily pass us no matter who we get as our next head coach. Seeing this in our own conference will make it that much more painful. F*** you gill this is all your fault.

So, he lobbies for things that he feels he needs to beat the likes of NDSU. He is denied by the administration. In that sense, his vision for the football program is not in synch with the administration.

We will never match NDSU in facilities. Not gonna happen.

So it's all probably about admission standards, and how many specials he wanted/thinks he needs to compete. And the university isn't going to budge much, if at all, on admission standards, to our credit.

My guess is only 1/3 to 1/4 of his first full recruiting class at UD would gain admission to UR. So be it, that's our decision, and I'm comfortable with it. We've won a lot of games recruiting players who fit our academic profile.

He had a valid contract with UR, with a full year remaining unless I am mistaken. That was plenty of time to work out differences, and come to common ground on that vision thing, if both sides were willing to work together. He decided he couldn't, looked elsewhere, and bought UD's pitch. I hope for his sake they deliver on what they have promised.

I'm sorry he is leaving, he was a good coach. I can understand why the players are upset, but we all know adults between the age of 18 and 22 don't always see the big picture or understand how the world really works. It's often unfair.

But we will find another coach. Frank Jones wasn't bigger than the university. Neither is coach Rocco. It is an attractive job. We will find a new coach; I'd wager that 80 percent of FCS coaches wish their school had the same level of commitment to football that we have.

And perhaps if he wanted more money for his assistants, he could have taken less for himself. To me, $450k is a pretty nice wage for FCS, it's almost twice what the guy at Chattanooga makes and no one is questioning the Mocs' commitment to FB.

Maybe we do need a new AD. But that is a 3-4 month process, We need a FB coach within two weeks so he can establish connections with our committed recruits (I'm sure DR will poach some) and hit the ground running when the dead period ends in early January.

As far as pulling donations, etc., it's gonna be hard to get the new coach the locker and weight room, etc., the old coach thought we needed without increased support.

And while almost everyone will disagree with me, if we could convince Villanova to go with us, a move to the Patriot League would be beneficial, FOR FOOTBALL ONLY.

Closer geographical footprint; reduced travel costs, and small, private schools we have much in common with, instead of the larger state schools with much lower admission standards (except W&M) we compete against now.

There has been no shortage of playoff berths from PL teams and now that they allow athletic financial aid it is a better fit for us. For that matter, so is the Southern Conference.

Last edited:
So, he lobbies for things that he feels he needs to beat the likes of NDSU. He is denied by the administration. In that sense, his vision for the football program is not in synch with the administration.

We will never match NDSU in facilities. Not gonna happen.

So it's all probably about admission standards, and how many specials he wanted/thinks he needs to compete. And the university isn't going to budge much, if at all, on admission standards, to our credit.

My guess is only 1/3 to 1/4 of his first full recruiting class at UD would gain admission to UR. So be it, that's our decision, and I'm comfortable with it. We've won a lot of games recruiting players who fit our academic profile.

He had a valid contract with UR, with a full year remaining unless I am mistaken. That was plenty of time to work out differences, and come to common ground on that vision thing, if both sides were willing to work together.

I'm sorry he is leaving, he was a good coach. I can understand why the players are upset. But we will find another coach, it's an attractive job. Frank Jones wasn't bigger than the university. Neither is coach Rocco.

And while almost everyone will disagree with me, if we could convince Villanova to go with us, a move to the Patriot League would be beneficial FOR FOOTBALL ONLY. Closer geographical footprint, reduced travel costs, and small, private schools we have much in common with, instead of the larger state schools with much lower admission standards (except W&M) we compete against now.

And perhaps if he wanted more money for his assistants, he could have taken less for himself. To me, $450k is a pretty nice wage for FCS, it's almost twice what the guy at Chattanooga makes and no one is questioning the Mocs' commitment to FB.

Maybe we do need a new AD. But that is a 3-4 month process, We need a FB coach within two weeks so he can establish connections with our committed recruits (I'm sure DR will poach some) and hit the ground running when the dead period ends in early January.

As far as pulling donations, etc., it's gonna be hard to get the new coach the locker and weight room, etc., the old coach thought we needed without increased support.
You are absolutely right moving to the patriot league would be beyond stupid. They are at best a one bid conference, not winning the conference this year we would not have a bid. Ok hire a good coach, then fire Gill, we've got months before our donations a due. Feeding incompetence will not stop it.

Reactions: urfan1
We compete pretty darn well with larger schools because we have the talent who wants a degree from a better school and NOT have to play in the patriot league. If we went to the patriot league we would get patriot league talent.
It's a hybrid and that allows us to get talent. Everything will be ok we will get a quality coach because it's a high level Fcs school and is sort after and we will probably get the locker room and the weight room and some better gear and in the spring you all will be surprised when Keith gill will announces he is moving on to another opportunity. (That's have they do it to AD's in the spring)
Everything is going to be ok DR didn't like his boss and I also think Delaware was positioned for potential move to FBS and as you can see FBS schools aren't hiring 50sometijg fcs coaches no matter how good they are just ask Danny and the Ewu coach

We compete pretty darn well with larger schools because we have the talent who wants a degree from a better school

Yes, we do. But one of the takeaways I get from what DR said, is that the game is changing and that might not be the case in the future, due (my feelings here) to the ability of NDSU, Delaware, JMU, SHSU and the like to admit athletes who would stand no chance of attending UR.

(A caveat, though: If we truly believe in a UR education, then I think we could take a few more chances on borderline admits.)

LIke yourself (it sounds), I'm not going to lose any sleep over this. It's a good job, we'll get a good coach, and we are committed to winning, as our record and infrastructure investment overwhelmingly indicate. And if in the long run this results in regime change at the AD level, then I guess many will feel that a short-term loss was worth the long-term gain.

However, I must say that several people I know who work in the department have very good things to say about Mr. Gill that don't jive with the comments I read here about his supposed lack of proficiency.

Reactions: iSpider
We compete pretty darn well with larger schools because we have the talent who wants a degree from a better school

Yes, we do. But one of the takeaways I get from what DR said, is that the game is changing and that might not be the case in the future, due (my feelings here) to the ability of NDSU, Delaware, JMU, SHSU and the like to admit athletes who would stand no chance of attending UR.

(A caveat, though: If we truly believe in a UR education, then I think we could take a few more chances on borderline admits.)

LIke yourself (it sounds), I'm not going to lose any sleep over this. It's a good job, we'll get a good coach, and we are committed to winning, as our record and infrastructure investment overwhelmingly indicate. And if in the long run this results in regime change at the AD level, then I guess many will feel that a short-term loss was worth the long-term gain.

However, I must say that several people I know who work in the department have very good things to say about Mr. Gill that don't jive with the comments I read here about his supposed lack of proficiency.
It's tougher for players to get into Stanford, northwestern , cal. Coaches get acouple exemptions and they all make it work. Danny didn't like his boss and there was very bad blood and I'll stick to my thoughts on Delaware going to fbs and it would be Danny's last shot at a fbs school

Several players are shredding him pretty good.

I agree, we'll get a good coach and we'll win. Ignore the doomsday donkeys and the nattering nabobs of negativity.

How many NDSU recruits were we after? NONE. We recruit kids that can succeed at an academically tough school and we have done pretty damn well over the years. Who knows if Rocco can be successful at UD. Maybe he can and maybe he can't. But he will never have better student athletes that UR has. Never! We have, we can and we will succeed with the kids we can get. Let's all get behind our new coach and support OUR TEAM. we are collectively sounding like the VCU board when Shaka left. Let's all get a grip!

How many NDSU recruits were we after? NONE. We recruit kids that can succeed at an academically tough school and we have done pretty damn well over the years. Who knows if Rocco can be successful at UD. Maybe he can and maybe he can't. But he will never have better student athletes that UR has. Never! We have, we can and we will succeed with the kids we can get. Let's all get behind our new coach and support OUR TEAM. we are collectively sounding like the VCU board when Shaka left. Let's all get a grip!
Carson Wentz was his high school class valedictorian. We would have offered him had we recruited that area. NDSU and the others that you guys mentioned, including Delaware, get good students as well. They just make exceptions for some not as qualified. That is where we fall short. That needs to be remedied.

Reactions: wr70beh
It should be obvious at this point that Rocco knew he was leaving several weeks ago and basically tried to dismantle our program with his vision statement as we now become a conference rival. What better way to hurt a competitor than to say they are not committed to football. I was a big Rocco proponent until that public interview. A true lack of class and purely a self-serving statement to cripple a future opponent.

It should be obvious at this point that Rocco knew he was leaving several weeks ago and basically tried to dismantle our program with his vision statement as we now become a conference rival. What better way to hurt a competitor than to say they are not committed to football. I was a big Rocco proponent until that public interview. A true lack of class and purely a self-serving statement to cripple a future opponent.
And yet some want to chant his name at the new coach when he is announced.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT