ADVERTISEMENT

Ellis placed on leave at Minnesota

Eight, is that saying that you go to the fan at night or that, just conversing, would go to the fan at night, big difference. also forgot to add that the son of good friends was beaten severely in the fan, after we departed, so recently, and was hospitalized in critical condition. you are correct Eight, certain times of a day, are dangerous anywhere, just read that there were people killed and wounded at 3:40am in nyc in a carribean isles pre-parade party gathering or just after. you can be in trouble in french lick or hickory at that time of day.

I'm not really at the stage of my life where frequent trips to the Fan at night are part of my agenda, but on the occasions when I am down there at night, I have never felt unsafe.If someone invited me to a bar in the Fan at night, I wouldn't decline for fear of my safety. If someone invited me to Chimborazo Park or Essex Village for a drink at midnight, I'd probably decline for fear of my safety.

my wife and i dined and met friends in the fan at night all the time. having said that, we realized that it was not a real safe area and used precaution and were on alert. heck, the last time i ate at commanders palace in the garden district of new orleans, they had an armed guard walk us back to our car which was 30 feet away out the front door. know that is a tough area but will always go there to eat when in the crescent city. know matter how we discuss it and fondle it, the rpi and fan areas are great but there is danger involved and one should be alert to that, thus two wallets.

This is getting a bit ridiculous guys. You don't need two wallets to walk around the fan, it is not dangerous. VCU's campus is no more dangerous than the hundreds of other college campuses located in cities.

it may be rdiculous to you but why do they do it? the student told me that everyone he knows did it if they did anything at night around campus. that does not mean that each and every student did it but the perception was that everyone knew the deal and you were told by upper class guys to do it. certainly was not a requirement and you can certainly not have two wallets should you desire to walk there at night.

I don't have enough stuff to make a second wallet realistic. Then I have to remember....was it the left wallet or the right wallet I'm supposed to give the robber...crap I'll just give him both and run like hell. Or maybe carry three wallets and the robber would be so confused I could get away befor he realized there was nothing in any of them.

Spinner, you have lost all credibility.
You are not a webspinner, you are a yarn spinner.
Let it rest.

I have a nephew who is a math professor at VCU. He has had his driver side car window knocked out 3 times in 4 years while at work. Says he only carries one wallet but the vandals, who insist on breaking into his car, have just about worn it out.

How did this go from a former VCU AD and his sidekick being pervs/frat boys and losing their jobd to being robbed in the fan??

Wr70beh, my best guess is they were "robbed" of their integrity and moral value while working in the "fan".

Lived on campus at VCU for 2 years and in The Fan for another 5. Never had a single problem, I never heard of anyone carrying 2 wallets. Actually not a bad idea though.....
I miss my time there now, being able to walk to all of my favorite "establishments".
This thread of city paranoia is hilarious.

We'll have real hoops new soon enough, thank goodness!

am amazed at how defensive some are and how they are in denial just because these guys and most people in their dorm on campus and later in their apt in the area utilized two wallets. maybe you lived in the "tough guys only" dorm and did not think it was necessary. as previously stated am sure not every student did this but they said they were advised to do it and did it.

I need 2 wallets on me at all times while at UR just to carry all my money. I also kept a roll of $20's in my shorts, but that was just for show.

Reactions: MolivaManiac
think you have the wrong idea ramma. i worked downtown for years, my wife came down for lunch and dinner a lot, support downtown. no urban or city fear though am sure some would never venture down there. same goes for the fan, was there a lot with wife and buds. just because it was pointed out that some students were advised to be very careful and even utilize two wallets does not mean i detest the area or too afraid to visit there, not even close.

How the heck did we go from Mike Ellis and his problems at Minn. to crime in the fan? This is insane. My original comments on ME had absolutely nothing to do with VCU. Lets move on.

if those two guys had been at kansas or penn state previously, probably would not have had a thread. we had threads on these two precisely because they came from rpi

if you look at a ton of threads, they tend to veer off the original path onto something else, not a big deal, pretty normal.

I have a younger brother that has been looney toons for years, he may be able to add to this thread.

local, don't really think we need him, my wife tells me daily that am a nut case, out of my mind and 25watt. nice to offer but think i have it handled.

Lived in the Fan for many years. It's perfectly safe in my view but I also wasn't out strolling around the perimeter at 3am. Do dumb stuff and bad things can happen in safe areas.

As for the relevance of the thread, I just think we spend way too much time worrying/ discussing topics having nothing to do with UR bball. I get that it is related to basketball in Richmond but it's an obtuse connection to UR and serves mostly as a means to discuss/bash vcu. I have no love for vcu but it often comes across like we have an inferiority complex. I'd rather speculate on who will get the most rebounds or anything relative to our team Instead.

Reactions: Marley13
not me, rpi is free game all the time. if they were not in our conf, would not care one iota, wish they were not.

Reactions: Ulla1
Spinner, this board has always felt the need to offer the childish attacks on VCU, even when they were in the CAA.
And, you have to be pretty old to refer to a school(RPI) that merged with one of the best medical operations in the
region to become VCU.

Obviously , I totally agree with Tbone.

Dead time for the board. I'd be happy to engage in other discussions but alas this is what we got. So, if this discussion is not your flavor, start a new thread. I admittedly like dogging anything related to VCU basketball but I certainly understand that it is not everyone's cup of tea. As for threads going off course, find a thread that actually stays on topic, that is the rarity. It is what happens on here and probably most boards as well.

I am pretty stunned that we are using sexual assaults from the 1960s as an attempt to besmirch VCU's credibility today. Amazing!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT