ADVERTISEMENT

Dji entering the portal

that stinks.
while I posted that Dji and Manon would be great together (and they would), in reality I expected Manon to be a possible replacement if Dji left. similar athlete and defensive player. both go to the rim.

thanks for the years, Dji. and thanks to Dad for all his insight here.

Expected to be honest. While I had no inside info a few of us could see it coming & tried to drop hints.

Wish he were back but I get it as grad transfer and putting in his time & our roster overhaul.

Guess never know could still return but that has to be a tiny chance.

I predicted he would be our glue guy this year off bench but he was so much more. Glue guy on steroids. that played the whole game & we wanted him to.

That's too bad, but not unexpected. Dji was great this year. Best of luck, go get paid.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Very Very difficult decision…but Richmond is still an option, the tweet didn’t mention that but Dji will when he tweets . My hope is that if he decides to not return that he will be a forever loved player here. He loves UR as do we and the most important thing is he is graduating with a RICHMOND Degree 🕷️🏀

LOVE this guy! Love his game. So great to see him breakout after recurring injuries.

Dji can command 6 figures. A Spider we all can be proud of, on and off the court. A credit to his parents. Gave us 4 years, is a Spider grad, so will forever be a Spider.

Hope our NIL matches any offer. If he does decide not return wish him only the best at any school....except VCU. A bridge too far there.

Godspeed, Dji whatever your decision.

Very Very difficult decision…but Richmond is still an option, the tweet didn’t mention that but Dji will when he tweets . My hope is that if he decides to not return that he will be a forever loved player here. He loves UR as do we and the most important thing is he is graduating with a RICHMOND Degree 🕷️🏀
Best wishes, he will be loved dude played his heart out and stayed 4 years. Can’t complain that’s hard to come by these days. Hope he balls out somewhere

This one hurts.

Definitely appreciate all he gave during his time here, and I'll still hold out hope that he comes back. Understand the decision though, hard to fault anybody getting the most they can get. Dji will definitely always be counted among my favorites though - loved his skills finishing at the rim and the way he stuck it out through lean times until he got his chance/got healthy.

I'd expect ACC interest. he's that kind of athlete.
Well he was a Wake commit originally, so we were lucky to have him in that regard for 4 years. If he ends up transferring, wishing him the best (Except VCU) and hope he continues to improve. My only regret is we didn't get to see him contribute like he did this year earlier in his career although we did see flashes of it.

I do hope @SpiderDad75 doesn't enter the message board transfer portal though. Devastating if that happens.

I wish the best for Dji. Fun guy to watch. Hard news for Spider fans to hear. College bball is certainly a different game. You build mad respect/love for guys and then they leave.

New fans won't have any loyalty beyond what have you done for me lately, so I suspect it is hard on established players as well if they don't immediately pan out(see T Burton). But we have benefitted by getting great transfers, including King, Dji, Hunt, Quinn, Francis, Harris, etc....

So lets go get our fair share and lets hope Walz, Hunt, and some of the deeper bench takes a giant step forward.

Congrats on the degree. That's awesome. And, Dji played great last year. But, I don't understand entering the portal, but Richmond still being an option. That's not common, is it? As a coach, I would think if guys enter the portal, you thank them for everything and wish them the best. Coming back here after entering the portal would be strange to me. "Hey, I didn't find anything better, so I can come back?" But, I wish Dji and your family the best here in whatever decision he makes and where he ends up next year. I have no issues with anyone who enters the portal, especially guys who gave us 4 years and got their degree. Good luck! And work on that 3. :)

As I said earlier, Dji would be foolish not to enter the portal. He played 4 years, earned his degree, if he can go make 6 figures playing some where else and we can't compete with our NIL match, to me that is an easy decision. 6 figures at this stage of life can set him up very well.

I have zero ill will or negative feelings about Burton last year and will feel the same for Dji. Now, if he pulls a Jay-Nel and goes across town, that is a different story. I presume he does not want the Jay-Nel treatment though the next time he steps in the RC.

But if he goes anywhere else, they will be my second favorite team next year.

Congrats on the degree. That's awesome. And, Dji played great last year. But, I don't understand entering the portal, but Richmond still being an option. That's not common, is it? As a coach, I would think if guys enter the portal, you thank them for everything and wish them the best. Coming back here after entering the portal would be strange to me. "Hey, I didn't find anything better, so I can come back?" But, I wish Dji and your family the best here in whatever decision he makes and where he ends up next year. I have no issues with anyone who enters the portal, especially guys who gave us 4 years and got their degree. Good luck! And work on that 3. :)
It happens, guys figure out what their options are and NIL $$$ will be and then evaluate their options. It sadly is the state of the portal and NIL these days.

Worst news I heard today, but as said he will have a Richmond degree and will always be a Spider. Please no vcu!!!! They cannot print that much money! Hope Dji knows he was loved and will be in the future. Hope he and Chris have discussed his possible return and I will hold out hope for that until it is over.

SpiderDad, regardless you have earned an honorary spot in the Spider family, please come back.

Last edited:
Geez too many no vcu comments. Never would have crossed my mind w Dji. Jaynel was anomaly, the first ever transfer from UR to Vcu or vice versa. But he was from Richmond, has family that r vcu fans, think wanted to go there initially but they backed off.

I look as situations like this one as artificial transfers. Dji was on the team for 4 years and because of an NCAA quirk gets an extra year of eligibility. I am happy that Dji stuck it out and will earn his Richmond degree. He is the original definition of a college athlete and I respect him for it. He now gets to see how much the market will bear for him to continue his collegiate career. If he goes somewhere else, it won’t be the same as the place he invested four years in and change is always hard but what basketball player wouldn’t want to see what else is out there and how much money he could make. Seems like a no brainer to me.

As far as how common it is to have your current college as a potential option, Sean Pedulla just did the exact same thing at VT although I don’t think he will be graduating in May. Definitely harder for the coach in some ways, but then again every year is a re-recruitment now with the no sit transfer rule.

Good luck Dji and I’ll miss greeting you at games SpiderDad.

Dji did put out his statement on Instagram but I have no idea how to link that

I think I speak for most of the group and respectfully ask you to shut the **** up.

There’s just no way that Tyler Burton made the right decision by going to Villanova.

Nor did Fore when he went to Louisville.

Golden, Gilly and Cato got it right by all coming back. What an unbelievable and unique opportunity.

There’s too much downside for a player like Dji to transfer IMO. I’m biased but that’s honestly how I feel. He has the potentially to really build off what he accomplished last year.

SpiderDad, what can we do to convince him to stay?

Reactions: urfan1
There’s just no way that Tyler Burton made the right decision by going to Villanova.

Nor did Fore when he went to Louisville.

Golden, Gilly and Cato got it right by all coming back. What an unbelievable and unique opportunity.

There’s too much downside for a player like Dji to transfer IMO. I’m biased but that’s honestly how I feel. He has the potentially to really build off what he accomplished last year.

SpiderDad, what can we do to convince him to stay?
So, now u get to decide if guys made the right decisions or not? So, it's okay for u to say there's too much downside for Dji to transfer, but not okay for me to post what I did? Maybe u should shut the **** up.

• Wow
Reactions: gospidersgo
It happens, guys figure out what their options are and NIL $$$ will be and then evaluate their options. It sadly is the state of the portal and NIL these days.
I certainly haven't seen it happen much, and I guess I just don't get it. I know everyone is different, but I don't see how guys can see what's out there and then be 100% welcomed back. And be 100% committed to being back when you were looking elsewhere. NIL? I don't see that being a factor here, but I guess we will see.

Why did u tell me to stop and let his go??? You even liked the post he made after the one that told me to shut the **** up. Come on, man. Do better.
It was directed at both of you.

Right, sure it was....1 minute after I posted what I did and 10+ after he posted his...with a post from u in between. But, sure, it was for both of us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT