ADVERTISEMENT

COVID and upcoming season

You should expect that the university will require masks for indoor events with 250 people or more.

If things get worse, perhaps more restrictive, but that’s the anticipated plan.

They’re actually not useless, and I struggle to understand the outrage over wearing them. It’s not a difficult thing to do. Some specific kinds of masks are not effective, that’s true. But if you wear a medical mask or stronger, it’s absolutely a layer of protection for others and to a lesser extent, depending upon the type, to you as well.

The alternative to making people wear masks or requiring proof of vaccination is to hold games with no fans again, or to hold games that become super spreader events. I prefer neither of those two options.
I don’t understand the outrage either…

I have worn a mask every time I’ve entered a a bank, Convenience store, or liquor store for the last 25 years…

Kinda hard to cheer with a mask on. I'm a firm believer in vaccinations, especially all the covid ones. But I don't buy in to the mask wearing. Last fall, when EVERYONE was wearing a mask, covid was running rampant. The masks are useless and I'm not putting one back on again after wearing one for a year and a half.
Everyone was not wearing masks, only those who were vaccinated because so many those not vaccinated were unmasked.

I couldn't dislike this more. Two thumbs down, political talking point.

There is a wealth of evidence that tells us that the masks worn by 99% of the population (in other words not N95 quality) are ineffective at best (many assert that they are worthless) when it comes to stopping the spread of COVID. One study conducted by the CDC (Center for Disease Control) included that nearly 3/4 of infected people reported that they had worn masks or face coverings. Has nothing to do with love or respect.

We should definitely believe the self-reporting of 3/4 of people who contracted Covid. I'm sure they were diligent. Good call.

There's an even greater wealth of evidence that mask wearing DOES protect the spread of the virus. It's not close. An overwhelming majority of health care professionals want us to wear masks. People whose job it is to study viruses want us to wear masks.

Not getting vaccinated and not wearing a mask is a personal choice like drinking a case of beer and driving a bus at 90 miles an hour in a school zone at 3pm on a Wednesday in October is a personal choice. Yes, you chose to do it, but the negative CONSEQUENCES of your choice are likely to be felt by a lot more people than just you.

It's not "to each his own" because your own is ruining it for the rest of us. We wouldn't have a thread about COVID and the upcoming season if people who were eligible just got themselves vaccinated. ****ing grow up.

I couldn't dislike this more. Two thumbs down, political talking point.

There is a wealth of evidence that tells us that the masks worn by 99% of the population (in other words not N95 quality) are ineffective at best (many assert that they are worthless) when it comes to stopping the spread of COVID. One study conducted by the CDC (Center for Disease Control) included that nearly 3/4 of infected people reported that they had worn masks or face coverings. Has nothing to do with love or respect.
Most people who die in car crashes are wearing seatbelts. That doesn't mean seatbelts are ineffective,

i just hope our team doesn’t throw away the season. Get vaccinated. Play all the games.

if it’s good enough for Alabama football, it’s good enough for Spiders basketball.

i care more about them playing the games than fans. Requiring proof of vaccination to attend games seems fair. It’s not a right to attend games. If you don’t want to attend, that’s fine. Similarly, if they don’t require vaccinations, I’m sure other fans won’t attend. You can’t please everyone. But just make sure you get the damn games played.

I will pray for you. You are being selfish. Wearing a mask is to show respect or love for you fellow man or woman.
Thanks for your prayers 52.

You couldn't be more wrong after that (I refer you to post #50 on this thread). But the great thing is that you can keep masking from now on to show respect for others if that's how you choose to do that.

I love how posters on this board are experts on recruiting, coaching, offense, defense, and medical issues. What was that major? I have no problem if you don’t want to wear a mask. Just culls the herd faster. And yes I see the irony.

E8NUMEoXsAYRrLT

I don’t remember ever having concerns when I lined up in elementary school for the sugar cube with polio vaccine.
Or when the doctor wanted to give me a flu vaccine, or measles vaccine.
Oh, that’s right, there wasn’t any social media to create false concerns.
This is the truth, isn't it? For all the amazing things it's done for us, it's also made us incredibly stupider in very dangerous ways.

The MAAC is requiring all athletes, coaches and staff to be vaccinated to participate this year. They are all private schools, so that probably makes the requirement easier to enforce.

I suspect other conferences will start falling in line in the near future.

Better get on it...women's soccer is already playing exhibitions and the regular season kicks off on the 19th.

Reactions: urfan1
Each of the main variants started in another country and has been transported here in 2021.
Delta- first noted in India, first detected in the US in March 2021.
Gamma- first appeared in Brazil in 2020, first detected in US January 2021.
Iota- first detected in NY in 2021.
Lambda- began spreading in Peru in Dec 2020, It has been found in numerous states, including Texas.

The country has lost the chance to really control the virus in 2021, by failing to recognize the risks and by failing to take aggressive action by shutting out international travel to the US until our population was vaccinated. By the time the vaccines were ramped up, new strains were already unleashed on this country. Strong limitations of incoming visitors, coupled with the robust vaccine effort we have would have saved more lives in the US.

It is not too late to stem the tide of new variants entering the country. Failure to do so will cost more loss of life, more misery and more pain.

Each of the main variants started in another country and has been transported here in 2021.
Delta- first noted in India, first detected in the US in March 2021.
Gamma- first appeared in Brazil in 2020, first detected in US January 2021.
Iota- first detected in NY in 2021.
Lambda- began spreading in Peru in Dec 2020, It has been found in numerous states, including Texas.

The country has lost the chance to really control the virus in 2021, by failing to recognize the risks and by failing to take aggressive action by shutting out international travel to the US until our population was vaccinated. By the time the vaccines were ramped up, new strains were already unleashed on this country. Strong limitations of incoming visitors, coupled with the robust vaccine effort we have would have saved more lives in the US.

It is not too late to stem the tide of new variants entering the country. Failure to do so will cost more loss of life, more misery and more pain.
I agree, we need to ban immigration from NY to the US...

Reactions: Spiders4ever
The latest, and possibly most dangerous, variant is from Texas.

Scientists from Southern Illinois University have identified a third US variant of the virus that causes COVID-19 — and it may be the most contagious strain yet, researchers said Thursday.

The homegrown mutation, dubbed 20C-US, is believed to be responsible for up to 50 percent of all US cases — hitting the Midwest the hardest, researchers said in a press release.

“It’s here. We found it,” said Keith Gagnon, an associate professor of biochemistry at SIU Carbondale. “It’s definitely home-grown and widespread.”

Gagnon said he and his team traced the strain back to Texas, where it first appeared in May.

There are variants emanating from TX and FL.One is called DuhSatanic,the other called Rabbothole.Each of those variants cause immediate and long lasting dumbness along with a permanent red tinge markings behind the neck which furthermore increases the likelihood of long term ignorance.

Last edited:
Texas is dealing with a certain issue that other states aren't. Not to go too far down the rabbithole, but some towns are seeing a 40% positivity rate in a specific segment of their population.

My nephew, who lives in Richmond, who has had COVID and who has been vaccinated, has once again contracted COVID-19. He is healthy and in his late 20s and was a college and pro athlete. I fear that this government is not being truthful with We The People. They should tell us how many people have gotten COVID once they have received a vaccine. They need to tell us how many people who are immigrants are ending up in hospitals to be treated. They tell us the unvaccinated are getting COVID and are overrunning the hospitals. They need to release data about new infections.

The latest, and possibly most dangerous, variant is from Texas.

Scientists from Southern Illinois University have identified a third US variant of the virus that causes COVID-19 — and it may be the most contagious strain yet, researchers said Thursday.

The homegrown mutation, dubbed 20C-US, is believed to be responsible for up to 50 percent of all US cases — hitting the Midwest the hardest, researchers said in a press release.

“It’s here. We found it,” said Keith Gagnon, an associate professor of biochemistry at SIU Carbondale. “It’s definitely home-grown and widespread.”

Gagnon said he and his team traced the strain back to Texas, where it first appeared in May.

This is a January 14 article. It was referencing a variant that was first identified in California, but was a strain that has been de-emphasized in June of 2021 by the CDC.
  • Deescalated from a VOC on June 29, 2021, due to the significant decrease in the proportion of B.1.427 lineage viruses circulating nationally and available data indicating that vaccines and treatments are effective against this variant.

No one ever promised that the vaccine would prevent 100% of covid cases. It's doing exactly what it was supposed to do -- preventing most people from getting covid and preventing the ones who still get it from getting sick or dying. There's no government conspiracy. It's very straight forward.

The bigger problem is that since not enough people have gotten vaccinated, the virus has a lot more chances to mutate and develop variants that eventually will evade the current vaccines.

My nephew, who lives in Richmond, who has had COVID and who has been vaccinated, has once again contracted COVID-19. He is healthy and in his late 20s and was a college and pro athlete. I fear that this government is not being truthful with We The People. They should tell us how many people have gotten COVID once they have received a vaccine. They need to tell us how many people who are immigrants are ending up in hospitals to be treated. They tell us the unvaccinated are getting COVID and are overrunning the hospitals. They need to release data about new infections.
Think the whole point of the vaccine is that those individuals aren’t ending up in the hospital (or if they, it’s less severe). The vaccines are miracles.

I don’t know about the rest if the country, but within Richmond area, the hospitals are filling up with unvaccinated individuals, the vast majority of whom are white and coming from more rural areas (ie not city residents).

Bottom line, get the damned vaccines. They are working far better than expected. If you’re a Christian, live the scripture, love your neighbor and protect them. If you’re not a Christian, do your part for the community. We have the tool to beat this if we’d just use it (and it’s free!)

Reactions: Eight Legger
Just had two 90 + year old vaccinated neighbors get COVID and one just had bad cold symptoms for a few days while the more frail of the two, went in hospital for a day and now recovering at home. Consider this like having flu vaccine where two years ago it was only around 60% affective and my wife got it and was sick a few days with low grade fever and runny nose. You may get it but your body already has a defense mechanism to beat it back. Vaccine is a no brainer.

Had a good friend who leads a COVID Committee at an organization and spends an enormous amount
of time tracking trends locally. He told me the vaccinated were to blame for the upsurge in non vaccinated infections. Whether one is symptomatic or asymptomatic without wearing a mask, you are passing the virus on to non vaccinated.
Well is that not the pot calling the kettle black? If all those who could get vaccinated, did so, we would have a greatly reduced surge.

Just a side note, Horry County, SC ( Myrtle Beach) is at a 22% infection rate. Tourism at it’s best. NC beach communities are also running higher than normal percentages. Hopefully with school starting back, we will see some drop.

The virus particles are small enough to go through most non medical grade masks. Therefore masks are not effective. To me it seems natural antibodies if you have already had the virus or vaccine if you have not seem to be the best way to go. This virus isn't going away. This is something we will have to live with just like the viruses that cause flu and common cold.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT