ADVERTISEMENT

COVID and upcoming season

SpiderTrap

Graduate Assistant
Nov 6, 2007
With numbers rising and the Delta Variant becoming a major concern - is anyone concerned about how protocols from team to team may clash and cause games to be postponed or cancelled. It seems right now even in everyday life that is up to each person to make their own rules and guidelines for themselves, and the same will hold true for sports teams, states, colleges, etc.
Recently - the CDC just announced masks should be worn indoors for all people, regardless of vaccination. So how will this effect game attendance - assuming that is still what the CDC is preaching come basketball time? I gotta imagine it limits capacity or eliminates attendance last year as I can't imagine we just say - pack the arena, just wear a mask.
Also - with different vaccination mandates from school to school, how will teams interact with each other in terms of positive cases? What if UR, a school which I think requires the vaccine, plays a school that doesn't - do they need to share their player information with us before the game? Who is vaccinated, who last tested negative/positive, etc. And what if a player tests positive? What now? The CDC also recommends now that even if your vaccinated, you need to get tested if you have been exposed to the virus.
A month ago - it looked like numbers were low and a true basketball season could be had. But now that numbers are rising again - not so sure. And I think the biggest issue might be protocols from team to team and how they differ.

While I agree with you Spider23 - there is about 40-50% of the country that does not. And while I tend to believe that college athletes will have a high percentage of vaccinated players and coaches, there are still going to be that percentage who either refuse the vaccine, are waiting for more information, or who truly have medical reasons not to get it. Not to mention some schools won't mandate it - so they won't have to get it. This not only effects their own team, but possibly the team they are playing and may determine whether or not fans can attend.
Remember last season when St. Louis didn't like our protocols and got up and left the day of the game. I can see that happening more than a few times this season as teams butt heads on what is safe and not safe in their opinions.

Reactions: spider23
As noted, our players all must be vaccinated, per school requirements, so I think that should help a bit. But I agree, it's starting to look like this could be another cluster. Sort of unbelievable and sadly not, all at the same time.

The government involvement at every level has now turned into a giant game of hot potato, with no one willing to say "This is what must be done." The feds are passing "guidance" to the states, the states are passing it to localities, localities are saying "We don't know if we should should adopt it since it's not a mandate," etc. At this point everyone is equally afraid of pissing off the people who have taken covid seriously AND those who have not.

Starting to look like covid will capitalize on our weaknesses yet again. Just hope it doesn't detail this season somehow.

Discussed previously on another thread, but the school isn't requiring vaccinations until one of them receives full government approval, which is likely still a few months away, although the students obviously should just go ahead and get it done. But the school is also allowing exemptions for people who don't want it, so is it really a requirement anyway?

Hopefully the hoops program learned from last year and will take things seriously this time around.

The issue is not our team, but our opponents.

Example - if all of UR Players and staff are vaccinated. But we know that Wofford (or any opponent) doesn't require vaccination of their students or athletes? Or even if they do - they inform us that 3 of their players have exemptions not to receive it. DO they even inform us? And what if they are not testing those 3 to our standards? etc. I just think this season has the making of a nightmare again of games being cancelled because of schools and teams having different opinions on protocols.

I wasn't concerned a month ago. I am now. 84,000 new cases yesterday. we were averaging about 12,000 a month ago. hospitalizations and deaths are just starting to rise again.

half the country is unvaccinated and they've dug their heels in. I don't think these rising numbers are going to change anyone's mind who has so far decided against the vaccine. plus some vaccinated people are contracting it.

everyone's tired of this, but I can't see how everything goes back to normal if the numbers keep rising.

At least as of right now, I don't see a huge issue with opponents, as long as our guys are vaccinated. The NCAA guidance right now says that vaccinated individuals don't need to quarantine or test even after exposure, although the CDC has just updated its guidance to say that vaccinated people should mask and then test 3-5 days after exposure. No quarantine needed.

But who knows how things will change...games are over three months away still.

Reactions: urfan1
After last season, pretty much our entire roster that was here has acquired immunity. Fingers crossed for a successful season. We'll see how it goes with football first.

Exactly. It does what all vaccines do -- significantly reduce your chances of getting the thing and protecting you against hospitalization or death in almost every case if you do happen to get it.

Reactions: plydogg
In terms of the players- I would tell them, get vaccinated. Otherwise - you will be subject to daily brain swab testing through your nose, and if you test positive or are near anyone who is positive, you will be forced to quarantine for 10-14 days.
Or get vaccinated - and you don't have to test daily and don't have to quarantine.

Your choice.

vaccinations don't even offer immunity. I know a guy with both Pfizer shots who just recovered from it. the vaccine likely minimized it though. no hospital needed.
Natural immunity lasts longer and is more effective:

It doesn't matter if they have natural immunity or vaccine immunity - the key word here is "immunity". Even with the number of positive cases we had last year - the recommendation would be they still get the vaccine. Only exception I could think of is Grant with his heart condition, but I am sure his medical team have discussed that with him.

OK 15-20 years ago I stopped getting flu vaccine because I felt like I had the flu for a few days immediately after the shot. I was in medical field and spent a lot of time in hospitals and other medical facilities. I do believe I built a natural immunity and then hospital entrance requirements changed for vendors and I had to have proof of vaccine, but since I restarted flu shot, I have not gotten sick. Now I am retired and continue to get the flu shot and have had no ill affects.

Point is whether you believe in herd immunity or the vaccine, get the vaccine if your health allows it and lower your risk factor.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Unless they shut down the border and seal off the country, the Delta and Lamba variants will run rampant and the season will be in jeopardy.

Reactions: Spider B
I have secretly vaxxed the entire team, I bump into them when walking by, and jab with a very small micro needle (no NSFW jokes please :) and move one. Everyone is vaxxed , some may be vaxxed twice and really don't need the booster shot, but they obviously don't know that.

• Haha
Reactions: spiderman
I am now a bit concerned about whether or not full crowds will be able to attend games this year. Seems that at a minimum there will be a mask requirement, and possibly a proof of vaccination requirement for fans. Can't really afford to have the season go sideways again.

Well - you don't have to worry about the students, they don't usually show up anyways.

But if I was UR administration - I would limit capacity, and require proof of vaccination. I would go 50% capacity. Why not play it safe - its not like our arena is known for its loud crowd noise and regarded as one of the toughest places to play, so limiting fans doesn't seem like a big loss to me from a player perspective. And I rather not take a chance of an outbreak at a game effecting out players.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Agree, Trap. I think a lot of places are going to start requiring proof of vaccination very soon anyway. It's becoming necessary as a safe path forward. We have the potential (again) for the best year in program history and should do whatever is necessary to protect that opportunity. Wearing a mask for two hours in order to be there in person cheering should be the least of anyone's concerns.

Reactions: spider23 and VT4700
Agree, Trap. I think a lot of places are going to start requiring proof of vaccination very soon anyway. It's becoming necessary as a safe path forward. We have the potential (again) for the best year in program history and should do whatever is necessary to protect that opportunity. Wearing a mask for two hours in order to be there in person cheering should be the least of anyone's concerns.
Kinda hard to cheer with a mask on. I'm a firm believer in vaccinations, especially all the covid ones. But I don't buy in to the mask wearing. Last fall, when EVERYONE was wearing a mask, covid was running rampant. The masks are useless and I'm not putting one back on again after wearing one for a year and a half.

Reactions: Gallipoli
They’re actually not useless, and I struggle to understand the outrage over wearing them. It’s not a difficult thing to do. Some specific kinds of masks are not effective, that’s true. But if you wear a medical mask or stronger, it’s absolutely a layer of protection for others and to a lesser extent, depending upon the type, to you as well.

The alternative to making people wear masks or requiring proof of vaccination is to hold games with no fans again, or to hold games that become super spreader events. I prefer neither of those two options.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT