ADVERTISEMENT

Conference realignment

Conference USA: Last night, Chris Vannini tweeted that C-USA is in negotiations to add New Mexico State, Liberty, and UConn (as a football only member). Pete Thamel has followed up that report by adding that UConn officials have spoken to C-USA about joining the league, but says there have been no negotiations and no decision is imminent. Thamel says a lot is riding on if Marshall stays in the league or heads for the Sun Belt. If Marshall stays, Liberty's addition to the league is "likely" with New Mexico State as the eighth team.

The CAA has been the toast of FCS. Despite having such great teams, the games are very competitive and have the parity so lacking in FBS or much of non-CAA FCS.

Our affiliation with the CAA has been mutually beneficial. It gives us great games and a platform to reach the NCAA. In 2008, we lost 3 games but made the NCAA, winning it all in Chatanooga. Several other years we lost 3 but still danced. We have won 14 NCAA tourney games with the CAA. 15 w/ CAA/Yankee.

The CAA has been a monstrously better football comference than the Southern. Current CAA members have 106 NCAA tourney wins compared to 39 Southern Conf. 22 of the former are leaving with JMU, but still. If W & M leaps to FCS mediocrity, should we jump too? They can go wherever but the oldest rivalry in the South will continue.

The CAA has been the toast of FCS. Despite having such great teams, the games are very competitive and have the parity so lacking in FBS or much of non-CAA FCS.

Our affiliation with the CAA has been mutually beneficial. It gives us great games and a platform to reach the NCAA. In 2008, we lost 3 games but made the NCAA, winning it all in Chatanooga. Several other years we lost 3 but still danced. We have won 14 NCAA tourney games with the CAA. 15 w/ CAA/Yankee.

The CAA has been a monstrously better football comference than the Southern. Current CAA members have 106 NCAA tourney wins compared to 39 Southern Conf. 22 of the former are leaving with JMU, but still. If W & M leaps to FCS mediocrity, should we jump too? They can go wherever but the oldest rivalry in the South will continue.
The last 7-10 years? Cetainly
1977-2012? I’m not as sure.

But is CUSA going to have 8 “all sports members” that have FBS football?

They’ll have to dig up one more from somewhere if WKU and MTSU leave.

Oh the irony of it all! Who can forget the verbal dressing down former William and Mary president Timothy Sullivan gave us for leaving the CAA in basketball?

https://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-xpm-20000603-2000-06-03-0006030077-story.html

The wrath knew no bounds:

"To be blunt, Richmond's behavior shocked me," Sullivan wrote. "A trust was betrayed that is not only essential to honorable athletic competition, but also to any human endeavor requiring confidence in others. ...

So are the Griffins/Tribe going to betray the trust the CAA has placed in them? Stay tuned..............................

Reactions: Philaspidur
Liberty is underselling itself if it joins CUSA, I would think. Weird move. But I guess the Sunbelt didn't want them?

Maybe the religious stuff scares people away? They have a pretty huge fanbase, a lot of money, and they're good at football, though. And now that they kicked Falwell out, I'd think they would be attractive to someone.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Liberty is underselling itself if it joins CUSA, I would think. Weird move. But I guess the Sunbelt didn't want them?
Liberty Baptist isn't really a school more so than it is a real estate hedge fund masquerading as a university. A lot of schools don't want to be affiliated with a school that has a 33% graduation rate in 4 years as well as ties to the Fallwells and all their dirty laundry. They have taken over Lynchburg much in the same way VCU took over Richmond with excellent PR and essentially captured all their political leaders where they serve the pleasure of the institution first not the city they reside in. I know a ton of JMU fans that wanted nothing to do with jumping up to FBS if it meant joining a conference with Liberty. Playing the school is one thing, being in a conference is a whole different ball game.

That being said they have world class facilities. If I am the AD I am staying parked as an independent, generating my own TV revenue with my large national following via streaming, and scheduling as many 2 for 1s with VT/UVA/P5 schools. If they want to be "Notre Dame for Southern Baptists" then staying independent is the way to go rather than joining CUSA.

Yeah, I mean personally I'm not a big Liberty supporter or anything, but it's tough to deny that they are growing quickly and playing good football. They might have the second QB drafted next year. Seems like one of these lower level FBS leagues would want to take a shot on them. I'd agree with you on them staying independent but they must really want to be in a league if they are going to CUSA.

Liberty has been very adept at positioning itself for future market trends. Its expansion of online courses and its increased access to college courses has placed it light years ahead of any other institution. It is a different model, but it is one that works.

New SoCon Fball(mileage from UR).
—————————————————

VMI bus
Elon bus
WM bus
Furman bus(388)
Wofford bus (360)
E Tenn bus (360)
WCU bus(422)
Citadel bus (425)
———————
UTC plane(546)
Mercer plane(562)
Samford plane(677)

CAA revised(add Monmouth)
———————

Nova bus
UD bus
WM bus
Elon bus
Towson bus
Monmouth bus
SBU bus(425)
——————-
UNH plane
Maine plane
Albany plane
URI plane
I just find it strange to join a southern focused conference when the majority of your student body is northern, or has that changed? Not a fan of this, but I realize I’ve got a northern bias. Would like to keep the relationship with Villanova going. Nobody in the Southern Conference can match their name recognition.

Reactions: Philaspidur
I just find it strange to join a southern focused conference when the majority of your student body is northern, or has that changed? Not a fan of this, but I realize I’ve got a northern bias. Would like to keep the relationship with Villanova going. Nobody in the Southern Conference can match their name recognition.
Do we have many alumni go to these games up there? I understand your point, but are we getting any meaningful visibility?

Do we have many alumni go to these games up there? I understand your point, but are we getting any meaningful visibility?
Largest out of state spider road contingent I can ever recall was at CCU in 2014. Counted well over 500 spiders in the stands for that game.

Reactions: mojo-spider
I’m one of the few dopes that will fly up to see Stony and UNH and Nova.Never Maine,never Albany,never URI.
You'd fly to Charleston and Greenville too, right?

I haven't seen anything else about this potential move than the one, random tweet earlier in this thread. But if i were to do a Pro's and Con's of the move, i think there would be a healthy tilt toward "Pro- let's move".

Aren't all former members of the SoCon (since 1922) joining this conference?

You'd fly to Charleston and Greenville too, right?

I haven't seen anything else about this potential move than the one, random tweet earlier in this thread. But if i were to do a Pro's and Con's of the move, i think there would be a healthy tilt toward "Pro- let's move".
Fairly easy drive from Sunshine State....

"Please, we beg of you, join our sinking ship conference so we don't fold... Oh, and pay us $2 million for the right to do so."

So if C of C, Elon, W&M, and UR leave the CAA, will America East be the new Football Conference for the remaining CAA? I think there would be 5 remaining basketball. and 4 of the 8 remaining football are America East.

The revisionist history of their fan base isn't lost on me and have gladly pointed out that this has happened to GMU, ODU, UR, ECU, and American and JMU didn't bat an eye when it came to the CAA banning us from the postseason. This is 1000% on their administration. The same administration that in one sentence decries how messed up it is that they are being banned from post season sports without acknowledging they killed a ton of sports on campus to fund that football program along with increasing student fees.

You can agree that what the CAA is doing is messed up without having sympathy which is where I am at. Based on your history the CAA/FCS owes you nothing going forward. Now its time to take your lumps for the greener pastures you feel you're entitled to. Its a harsh reality but one that's undeserving of any sympathy for their fans or administration.

Isn’t the operative word IF? Seems like all the Dukes have to do is not make an announcement until after the football season or any other sport’s season in which they are competitive is over and there is no damage done. I am sure they would have rather kept all this quiet, but that is essentially impossible in this day and age.

Isn’t the operative word IF? Seems like all the Dukes have to do is not make an announcement until after the football season or any other sport’s season in which they are competitive is over and there is no damage done. I am sure they would have rather kept all this quiet, but that is essentially impossible in this day and age.
I don't think it's football they're concerned about losing our on conf titles..they will make the playoffs regardless...it's bball, softball, field hockey, etc...Sports in which only conf champion may move to post season...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT