ADVERTISEMENT

Charleston game is off due to potential COVID positive in UR program

Come on VT. You just said you would take this to the off topic board and here you go again. I agree with you on the virus but give it a rest on the basketball board. Not to mention it’s useless to argue with some people.

Reactions: ChoppinBroccoli
What are you talking about? This is more than relevant to this thread and nothing at all political about it. I didn't even comment on it.

Wow. I really thought Spider fans were smarter than this. Aren't we supposed to be a top university? God help this country.

It’s no ones fault. Let’s get over this minor bump in the road and then utterly destroy every last opponent in our path.

Reactions: plydogg
Its real but its been shown that its no more deadly that many many other infectious illmesses that we have lived with for 100’s of years its just the news media decided to chart every case and every death this time around. People die VT and always will... or do you think you can prevent that from happening by locking everyone inside and forever wearing masks. There is always a risk to life or do you also think we can eliminate all of those also? I actually had covid already and so did a few other relatives. None died and only one had bad symptoms. We were all under 85 though.
I hope I am not reading you wrong but 3 of my family members have died from COVID and my son after help a friend move has been diagnosed with the virus. It is no a hoax!!! Wake up!!

Do we know when there will be a decision on if our game with Furman is still on? Would it be dependent on testing in the coming days or has it already been announced?

This seems like one SF will know the answer to

I spoke to someone in the athletic department today. They are doing more testing should know where we stand in the next day or 2. I did not get any specific details.

I hope I am not reading you wrong but 3 of my family members have died from COVID and my son after help a friend move has been diagnosed with the virus. It is no a hoax!!! Wake up!!
I'm really sorry to hear that. Please take care.

As much as it sucks to have our season disrupted and possibly canceled, the ncaa and our university are handling this correctly. Can you even imagine what it would be like to be losing your family because of gross negligence? The real shame is how the hell our country got here and how half of us somehow support the handling. Mindblowing.

So sorry to hear this, G. I wish you the best, and hope your son has a quick and full recovery.

The team and all the related staff are gonna have to create their own BUBBLE over the next 4 months in order to not let this happen again.Since this was a staff member who was the cause it must be doubly disheartening to the players especially given what occurred last March prior to the A10 tourney.No time for carelessness from anyone.

Last edited:
I spoke to someone in the athletic department today. They are doing more testing should know where we stand in the next day or 2. I did not get any specific details.

thank you for the inside info. Fingers crossed obviously that everybody comes back testing negative. The health of our players is first and foremost here!

From this article

“All basketball activities have been paused as the Spiders perform re-testing and contact tracing. If the re-test comes back positive, Richmond will have to cease activities for 14 days, unless contact tracing dictates the positive person did not have contact with other team members, which seems unlikely.”

Why 14 days? Seems like numerous teams of all different sports have positive tests and then are playing again in 4 or 5 days. I just hope that the decisions are being made by the athlete department and not by the school eggheads.

Reactions: spider23
Why 14 days? Seems like numerous teams of all different sports have positive tests and then are playing again in 4 or 5 days. I just hope that the decisions are being made by the athlete department and not by the school eggheads.

every state has different rules--and from what I understand the Virginia "rules" (Notice I didn't saw laws) are vastly different than say Florida (remember that is where Gonzaga was) in relation to "close contact". Virginia's are much more onerous.... Remember follow the "science"!

every state has different rules--and from what I understand the Virginia "rules" (Notice I didn't saw laws) are vastly different than say Florida (remember that is where Gonzaga was) in relation to "close contact". Virginia's are much more onerous.... Remember follow the "science"!

Just listened to part of the Pod at 32 posted. Evidently if you are wearing a Mask and have close contact, you still have to quarantine according to Virginia State Health department. .Okay, then why wear it???

Has nothing to do with state rules. Every college team in the country with a positive test stops for 2 weeks. Except Gonzaga, for some reason.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
Great listen. It's good to hear the coach in a more candid conversation, rather than the "canned" version we typically get. He spans a wide variety of topics which we have separate threads for.

Regarding the topic of this thread:
3 positive tests
Members of the traveling party, but not players
He seemed hopeful that they could test negative this week, so we can infer that they are asymptomatic. (I don't think he'd be so optimistic if they were diseased)
Per Mooney, they followed the protocols and wore masks. He specifically mentioned the trainer, saying he was exemplary with his compliance.
While he didn't say "virus gonna virus" he did say "it's a virus" = lamenting that this virus is going to spread no matter what you do.

Reactions: UR80sfan
Just listened to part of the Pod at 32 posted. Evidently if you are wearing a Mask and have close contact, you still have to quarantine according to Virginia State Health department. .Okay, then why wear it???
Because literally every local, state, national, and international public health expert has said it the number one thing we can do to slow the spread of the disease. And yeah, they have the data to back it up.

I'm not quite up to speed on this as it relates to our next two weeks. Do the 3 staff members/travelling party need a negative test, or we are shut down 14 days? Or if they re-test positive, can we proceed if everyone else tests negative?? Or something else. Or are we already shut down for 14 days?

Or do we follow under the exclusive "Gonzaga Exception" :) :)

I'm not quite up to speed on this as it relates to our next two weeks. Do the 3 staff members/travelling party need a negative test, or we are shut down 14 days? Or if they re-test positive, can we proceed if everyone else tests negative?? Or something else. Or are we already shut down for 14 days?

The latter. We're ranked now, so we do whatever the F we want.

Per Mooney in the SVPod, if we get negatives from all three, we will resume. Otherwise, it's 14 days.

Reactions: spider23
negatives from all 3 seems unlikely so I expect 14 days.

my condolences, gcarter. and I hope your son is asymptomatic or close to it. it's easy to be casual about Covid until it hits home. while it sucks, I'm in favor of the precautions being taken. we're very close to approving and distributing vaccines and putting this behind us.

Per Mooney in the SVPod, if we get negatives from all three, we will resume. Otherwise, it's 14 days.

Any day should be 10 days or 7 days w negative test. Think CDC said so yesterday but have to officially release new guideline. So I assume this 14 day jazz will be shortened & UR would adjust on fly accordingly.

Reactions: Eight Legger
If it stays 14 days, when does the period start? After first positive? After confirmation? After previous game?

negatives from all 3 seems unlikely so I expect 14 days.

my condolences, gcarter. and I hope your son is asymptomatic or close to it. it's easy to be casual about Covid until it hits home. while it sucks, I'm in favor of the precautions being taken. we're very close to approving and distributing vaccines and putting this behind us.
Thanks Spiderman, much appreciated. So far so good. He is resting at home.

The latter. We're ranked now, so we do whatever the F we want.
How in the hell did Gonzaga get away with that. I thought the NCAA was pretty clear if you have a positive test, you are shut down for 14 days.

And yes, GK, saw that yesterday about the revised CDC recommendations as well. Hopefully that is the case.

The guidance is changing to 10 days with no test if the person monitors symptoms closely (no symptoms) and just continue to monitor while wearing a mask for days 11-14. Or only 7 days if the person has a negative test in the last 2 days, includes the rapid test.

From CDC:
If a community has adequate testing resources, the quarantine can end after just 7 days if a person tests negative for the virus at some point in the final 2 days of that period. The test can be either a rapid-response antigen test or the more reliable PCR test that takes longer to process.

Alternatively, the quarantine can end after 10 days without a test if a person monitors any potential symptoms, such as fever, on a daily basis and has none. The exposed person is expected to continue monitoring symptoms and wearing a mask for the full 14 days despite discontinuing quarantine.

This should help. Assuming other teams quarantine started Sunday evening just this weeks games are the issue.

Great listen. It's good to hear the coach in a more candid conversation, rather than the "canned" version we typically get. He spans a wide variety of topics which we have separate threads for.
That was an awesome interview and gives me a totally different perspective of Mooney. If he did more interviews like that versus the ones he does with Bob Black then there may not have been a billboard.

Because literally every local, state, national, and international public health expert has said it the number one thing we can do to slow the spread of the disease. And yeah, they have the data to back it up.

if they have the data, why don't they show it? you know why? it doesn't exist. Is it slow the spread or flatten the curve? I can't keep track of it.

If you want to see real life data on how mask mandates work at various states around the US, follow IAN MILLER on Twitter. There is not one example of a state that has put in a mask mandate that the "slow the spread" has occurred.

This from Tom Izzo

"(Tom) Izzo told us he couldn't figure out how he got Covid-19 as he's a diligent mask wearer" -- Sean McDonough on ESPN broadcast of Michigan State and Duke tonight.

Reactions: Ram Bal
The studies are right there on CDC's website.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/more/masking-science-sars-cov2.html

Or maybe check out what happened in Kansas when they passed a mask mandate. Counties that opted of the mandate showed a 100% increase, while counties that opted in showed a 6% decrease.
https://www.businessinsider.com/cdc-kansas-counties-mask-mandate-work-2020-11

Here is a good article in Nature about the studies around mask usage

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02801-8

Or I guess you can choose to get your data off some random dude on Twitter with a couple thousand followers whose description says "cereal". He seems like a reputable and responsible source of getting one's knowledge on a pandemic.

The studies are right there on CDC's website.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/more/masking-science-sars-cov2.html

Or maybe check out what happened in Kansas when they passed a mask mandate. Counties that opted of the mandate showed a 100% increase, while counties that opted in showed a 6% decrease.
https://www.businessinsider.com/cdc-kansas-counties-mask-mandate-work-2020-11

Here is a good article in Nature about the studies around mask usage

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02801-8

Or I guess you can choose to get your data off some random dude on Twitter with a couple thousand followers whose description says "cereal". He seems like a reputable and responsible source of getting one's knowledge on a pandemic.

Are those studies peer reiewed, etc. like really studies are supposedl to be?
The graphs use publically available data. Is this The CDC, the director who said a papermask was better than vaccine. No Thanks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT