ADVERTISEMENT

Can Richmond University keep it close Saturday?

Can Richmond University keep it close Saturday?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mom, speaking of mascots...if you see FRS be sure and ask him about General Spidey. You son might even want to research that one.

Reactions: WebsturMomNJ
Man conversations are hard with you guys!

If you are truly who you claim to be our apologies -- however, every time we play the pukes they will have more than one poster attempt to engage us with a disguised identity. We generally don't take the bait.

Why sign in just now, Ms. Webstur? Where were you the other 8 or so games? You're nothing more than a Purple Natty Light drinker.

Why don't you wear your purple, throw your streamers, and if you're a good boy maybe the MAC will let you play with them one day. Otherwise, hit the bricks.

We did not make the plays needed to compete with an elite FCS program today. We are moving in the right direction but have a ways to go. I am a broken fan after seeing that beat down today in person. Still hopefull for a win next Saturday but miss those days when we competed with the best. i need a playoff game!

I am a broken fan after seeing that beat down today in person. Still hopefull for a win next Saturday but miss those days when we competed with the best. i need a playoff game!
Repeat these words- that's alright, that's ok, they're gonna work for us someday. It might make you feel better.
Also, keep telling yourself that the only game that matters is the W&M game.
Of course, if UR loses the W&M game, I expect all true Spiders to suffer from emotional breakdowns, with recurring bouts of PTSD.

Ok win or lose our participation stats are less than the opponent. Yesterday Madison
College played 25 more players. We have no depth at TE, LB, RB. We give up a ton of
second chance yards because we tackle so poorly.

Yes we have execution issues on offense, but we did better when we were going through a different OC
every year. Durden is past his prime. He calls so much lateral stuff that just does not work. We need
a new OC.

I'll be the better man and say that JMU has a great program. While I"m at it, so has VCU in basketball. I think a lot of the trash talk here is just plain envy on our part. These two teams have been our biggest rivals in Men's basketball and football, but you can no longer call it a rivalry when we can't compete with either. My hat's off to both programs, they obviously have "all in" support from their administrations and have both done a great job with hiring coaches and recruiting players. Richmond has had "lip service" support from our administration, and desperately needs new coaching and athletic leadership.

When I sit back and think about the last 10-12 years, I am amazed of the different directions we are going with our programs compared to their's. Ten years ago we were right there with JMU and VCU, and now look at the gaps between the schools.

JMU is ready to make the leap to FBS, and I'm ready for them to move on. I will wish them well in the playoffs, I will be watching, and I hope they win it all

I'll be the better man and say that JMU has a great program. While I"m at it, so has VCU in basketball. I think a lot of the trash talk here is just plain envy on our part. These two teams have been our biggest rivals in Men's basketball and football, but you can no longer call it a rivalry when we can't compete with either. My hat's off to both programs, they obviously have "all in" support from their administrations and have both done a great job with hiring coaches and recruiting players. Richmond has had "lip service" support from our administration, and desperately needs new coaching and athletic leadership.

When I sit back and think about the last 10-12 years, I am amazed of the different directions we are going with our programs compared to their's. Ten years ago we were right there with JMU and VCU, and now look at the gaps between the schools.

JMU is ready to make the leap to FBS, and I'm ready for them to move on. I will wish them well in the playoffs, I will be watching, and I hope they win it all
Hey Rick I cannot root no matter how much better their program is when I have to watch several times yesterday the jerk holding the “ I hate Richmond, don’t you” sign. Yes the last two years of football has not
been competitive, but why? Play calling, injuries/depth, lack of experience, bad execution. I like the recruiting the last two years and I am hopeful we are going to regain our competitive spirit. Screw the Dooks and RPI, I can respect them but I will never, ever root for them. It is like the NC State fan who was asked while in a bar, who he was rooting for in basketball game between Russia vs UNC Tarheels. He responded I root for the team in red, naturally.

This is really well said, Rick, and i think it pretty well summarizes my feelings about Spiders athletics. As a fan, it's hard to feel 'all in' when you don't feel like you can compete against your rivals.

It was only 4 years ago that we went up to Harrisonburg and spoiled Game Day. It was only 3 years ago that we lost a nip and tuck game against the Dukes here. The rivalry was back and forth until then. They have skyrocketed ahead of us in the last 3 years and it feels like more than simply a 3 year trend.

Reactions: DTSpider
Rick, nice post. It is crazy to think how both these programs have just left us in the dust. Respect to them, but a big WTF to the Spiders. Poor leadership in the AD and Admin, combined with poor coaching decisions. I still have some faith in Russ and I want to see what we do next year. With Paul Queally and Mooney, PQ is our Daniel Snyder. He made a lot of money in his realm, but is not translating to the NCAA basketball world.

Not being "all in" and Rocco's "vision" comment sound about the same to me....and I believe both to be spot on.

Rick, nice post. It is crazy to think how both these programs have just left us in the dust. Respect to them, but a big WTF to the Spiders. Poor leadership in the AD and Admin, combined with poor coaching decisions. I still have some faith in Russ and I want to see what we do next year. With Paul Queally and Mooney, PQ is our Daniel Snyder. He made a lot of money in his realm, but is not translating to the NCAA basketball world.

An unfortunate but seemingly accurate comparison. Dan has ruined the skins. Sure hope PQ doesn’t ruin UR athletics but it really feels the same. Throwing money around in the wrong places while undercutting the whole structure

I was a big Rocco fan but the way he left this program still has lingering effects. Our culture has suffered the last three years as his comments divided not only fans but also more importantly players. The reason we have so few seniors is due to few of his holdovers staying at Richmond because of the way he left and his failure to ever embrace the school. Everything was always about him and he engrained an "us against the world" mentality with players. That is one reason we should salute all our seniors on Saturday who either stuck it out because they believed in UR or came in for one year to help bridge this program hopefully back to the level we all want.

I was a big Rocco fan but the way he left this program still has lingering effects. Our culture has suffered the last three years as his comments divided not only fans but also more importantly players. The reason we have so few seniors is due to few of his holdovers staying at Richmond because of the way he left and his failure to ever embrace the school. Everything was always about him and he engrained an "us against the world" mentality with players. That is one reason we should salute all our seniors on Saturday who either stuck it out because they believed in UR or came in for one year to help bridge this program hopefully back to the level we all want.
Go read the Delaware board. They have exactly this description of Rocco. Most believe that he is arrogant, about himself and stubborn. He appears to be on a short leash as he has under performed in their eyes.

Don't disagree with this, Jpo. He certainly poisoned the well on his way out and grossly complicated things for Russ.

But he had a point as did Rick above, the Administration pays lip service to competing for championships, but does not display a commitment to winning. Impressive facilities, a nice spread in the President's box on game day for schmoozing potential and current big donors, and a .500 record appear to be acceptable to them. Sprinkle in an occasional banner year and they are ecstatic.

Perhaps I'm overly cynical, but just describing how it appears to me.

Last edited:
We are trending up...next year will help us understand if we are truly mediocre under russ or if he has righted the ship. Yes we are used to bigger and better things but it appears that russ is bringing us back from the H bomb crater created by gill and rocco when he left.

You know what the problem is, it's culture. Needs to be a culture of high expectations and support starting from the top administration. A culture of winning and positivity is needed. Seems to me the current culture is negative and mediocre. Mediocrity is almost expected instead of excellence. You can see that from game planning, player execution, and gameday atmosphere. Want to have players execute, change the culture.

Rick,

Solid post. Thank you. I'm pretty much there, too. This is the first time since I moved back to Richmond that I'm not 100% sure I'll be there for the William & Mary game.

Your post, and Mo's reply, made me think back to the ESPN GameDay victory. That was two coaching changes ago for JMU - and it's only been four years! Then I got to thinking about when we were better than VCU in basketball. Also, two coaching changes since for VCU.

I could be completely off base here, but I think this is indicative of a major philosophical difference between their administrations and ours. I don't have time to expand on that now but will in another thread.

Reactions: SpiderRick
Hey Rick I cannot root no matter how much better their program is when I have to watch several times yesterday the jerk holding the “ I hate Richmond, don’t you” sign.

Sorry you thought the sign was in bad taste. Seems a pretty uncontroversial sign for a rivalry game. You guys sure got some thin skin over here.

Tough break on the first drive - definitely would have been a different game if you score there. I think that's a different game with some healthy RBs for you guys. Beat the nerds next week and get healthy in the off season. Is Mancuso a senior?

Sorry you thought the sign was in bad taste. Seems a pretty uncontroversial sign for a rivalry game. You guys sure got some thin skin over here.

Tough break on the first drive - definitely would have been a different game if you score there. I think that's a different game with some healthy RBs for you guys. Beat the nerds next week and get healthy in the off season. Is Mancuso a senior?
Sure wish it could have been a classic battle and those first two fumbles in hindsight set the tone I guess.
Mancuso is RS Junior to answer you question.

Talk to the Liberty folks - I spent a fair amount of time working in Lynchburg back when Rocco was there and whne he left for UR. He burned bridges their too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT