ADVERTISEMENT

Bandwagon

It’s certainly improved. Still curious what changed. Things Got better around the time Brunt left but I don’t know if that’s just coincidental.

Reactions: coach fezz
Honestly not sure how much it has improved? What metric are we using? Wins and losses, defensive stops, wins vs top 25 teams, bad losses to sub 200 teams?
It has improved enough that you can at least see that these guys can play compared to Diekvoss, Pistokache and 4-5 other forgettable guys.

Even you can admit that without capitulating to your position that our coaching may not be at all improved.

Actually, you may be right s-man. I honestly think we should finish in top 3 with Dayton and VCU. If they beat us out for 1 and 2, I can live with that. Anything under that and we have under achieved, that is certain.

I know you posted about your son and his AAU adventures quite a bit on this board in the past, and he had some elite height. Is he playing college ball? Hope you are getting to keep cheering!

yeah, I get to cheer for for a while longer. had UR staff in the stands a few times which got me excited, but they were after a teammate. showed no love. very happy with where he ended up, though.
But isn't Lawrence, Kansas a long way to go to see him start as a freshman?

j/k glad to hear it is all working out...

It’s certainly improved. Still curious what changed. Things Got better around the time Brunt left but I don’t know if that’s just coincidental.

Brunt was not good. I had expeirinces with him and his style did not work / and I did not trust him. Just my opinion. I think he also never buys into the Coach system or style always with the eye to the door. He thought because he could swear at fans behind bench he was some big deal. just my opinion maybe you like him.

Reactions: SpiderRick
We actually bought single game tickets to the Dayton game. Haven't done this in over 10 years (we had season tickets during that time). Had to do it.

it's been great the past 3-4 years. there was clearly a period with too many misses before that.
Recruiting misses the past 4 years.

AJ Ford
Bryce
Verbinski
Grace

Yeah, I know the last two are still on the roster, but they aren't A-10 players. Still a lot of missed by the Mooney that hurt us and delay development. I wouldn't call the past 3-4 years "great". I would say it is better than the previous 4, but that is a low bar.

of those "misses", two aren't even holding roster spots anymore. quickly upgraded.

I don't need to go through the "hits" in the past 4 classes. you know. the guys with the 6-1 record and the reasons for the current excitement and improved expectations here.

we've had a really good batting average in the past 4 recruiting classes. and yes, this comes on the heels of a much lower batting average which led to the past 2 painful seasons.

i concur...based on the actual "stars" i think it is some of our higher rated recruiting years if you count Buck. three 3 stars, a couple 2.5's etc.....higher than our avg. 2 stars.

how did a link on the bandwagon turn into this?

BTW, Verbinski has been hurt most of his time here, so we will never know. Grace has played less than 2 years, I'm not ready to give up on him yet. yes, I know he has not played well so far this year--internal optimist.

Reactions: spiderman

BTW, Verbinski has been hurt most of his time here, so we will never know. Grace has played less than 2 years, I'm not ready to give up on him yet. yes, I know he has not played well so far this year--internal optimist.
I'm more of an Eternal Optimist myself...
I always let everyone know it.

I know Tomas has only gotten garbage time but he has a nice stroke. When he played last year, his foot speed was far too slow for the college game. Would rather see him get some minutes vs. Grace because at least there is the element of the unknown with his game.

I know Tomas has only gotten garbage time but he has a nice stroke. When he played last year, his foot speed was far too slow for the college game. Would rather see him get some minutes vs. Grace because at least there is the element of the unknown with his game.
97's Grace-shaming is the new Kevin Bacon.
Tomas can't defend the 5.

97's Grace-shaming is the new Kevin Bacon.
Tomas can't defend the 5.

Ha, well neither can Grace. I know you can't give up on your prediction that Grace was recruited to be Grant's back up and eventual successor. You played that all last year and now this year you don't say it that anymore but instead just point out my critique of his substandard play. Just own it, it was another recruiting miss, that you said was not a miss, but you can't say that until said player actually leaves and then you will acknowledge that it might not have worked out the way Mooney envisioned it.

Grace was recruited because Mooney got turned down by all of his other big men offers and he needed to sign someone or he would have looked completely incompetent at this job. Instead,now when Grant leaves, we will be starting some freshman big man in what will assuredly be a rebuilding year.

This is why you can't miss on a lot of recruits and then just overrecruit them later. It sets your player and program development back.

I don't believe I said Grace was some superstar or even Grant's eventual replacement. I said he can be Grant's backup. clearly we went after other big men and didn't land them. it's not grocery shopping where you just pick what you want. I know you'd like to bring in a 5 who's so good he pushes Grant to the bench, but we're not landing that guy no matter who our coach is. really good 5's have a lot of options, and sitting behind Grant might not be their favorite.

Matt hasn't looked good this year but I don't see him as a total miss yet. maybe he is. you need 3 big men, and as good at Nathan is he's not a 5. Burton isn't either despite great effort.

but I'm buying into Sal becoming Grant's replacement. I didn't think he had "5" in him, but he's gotten stronger and tougher. he'll keep developing. and I think that's where he's going to have to play because he's not going to beat out Nathan or Burton long term at the 4, and he's not a 3.

not for a lack of trying. but yeah that would have been nice.
Watched him play a little bit this year. He moves really well for a big man.

But I agree, it wasn’t for lack of trying. I like to think if he was deciding this year, with how the team looks, we’d have a better shot. Hopefully the momentum continues into recruiting (I already like Wilson).

Watched him play a little bit this year. He moves really well for a big man.

But I agree, it wasn’t for lack of trying. I like to think if he was deciding this year, with how the team looks, we’d have a better shot. Hopefully the momentum continues into recruiting (I already like Wilson).

maybe he just didn't want to play w/ his brother and blaze his own path? Is that too hard to believe?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT