ADVERTISEMENT

A-10 Swimming Championships

SFspidur

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 5, 2003
For those interested in aquatics, the A-10 swimming championships started today, and the UR women have jumped out to an early lead by winning both opening night relays.

Spiders got out to a healthy lead in the backstroke leg of the 200 medley relay and basically cruised from there, winning by over a second.

The 800 free relay was considerably more interesting, as the Spiders' entry time was slow enough that they had to swim in the first heat instead of in the second heat with the other top contenders. Swimming first and just being able to set a fast standard and hope it held, the Spiders won by a nose, edging out UMass by 0.13 seconds. They were helped a bit in pacing by Duquesne, another fast squad that got relegated to the first heat but finished third overall.

Spiders lead after the short day one with 80 points, and UMass is narrowly leading the rest of the pack with 60.

Spiders are in a bit of a difficult situation with seeding as seen in the 800 free relay. Most of the other teams swam a fast meet in the fall where they were rested, giving them some solid times for seeding purposes at A-10s. UR has not had a rested meet all year, as Barany typically believes in better end-of-year results from pushing through a full season progression without the interruption of mid-season taper. But that means manyf UR swimmers have relatively poor seed times compared to the rest of the field, giving them some uncertainty about how they stack up with everyone else as they swim their events.

Morning swims are over, and the depth and parity of the A-10 is really apparent. Gone are the days of UR dominating placement in the championship heats. Still, UR has plenty of good swimmers in scoring position for tonight.

I mocked out scoring for today's three individual events (500 Free, 200 IM, and 50 Free) based on morning results, and it does show UR winning the night over Fordham:

UR 96
Fordham 77
Duquesne 53
La Salle 48
Mason 42
GW 37
UMass 33
URI 31
Bona 28
SLU 20

That scoring does not account for the 200 free relay, which will also be contested tonight. Spiders should do well, if not win, there, although a DQ is always a painful possibility. It also doesn't account for the 20 point lead the Spiders already hold based on last night's events.

1M diving is also being contested for the women today...prelims starting up now with finals tonight. UMass as usual dominates the top of the seedings heading into the competition with 5 of the top 8, but UR currently has divers in the #2 and #3 spots based on in-season scores. GMU diver in #4 is the other one to break up the UMass dynasty. Fortunately for UR, UMass isn't showing a ton of scoring potential in the swimming events so far and hurt themselves with a false start DQ in the medley relay last night, so hopefully any damage from diving will be limited and UR may even extend leads over other squads.

Individually, the only Spider coming back as a top seed tonight is Mali Kobelja in the 200 IM. Kelley Yang is third in the 50 free. Plenty of other Spiders in scoring position though, and they'll all help.

So far so good.

I thought Mason was going to make more of a splash since they dominated the it invitational this year (we finished 3rd). But they were obviously rested and we were not so perhaps I was more concerned than I should have been.

The Diving program has proved and we won't bleed as many points to UMass and/or Fordham as we have in the past. The one year that we lost the title it came down to the DQ I'm the relay we easily would have won (40 points) and getting crushed in the Diving events.

I would like to see a course FR step up and do well. We have had a pretty good strong of winning the MVP and Best FR awards at this meet.

On another topic, the incoming FR class looks strong next year. One very talented swimmer from Roanoke area and 4 other strong contributors in the early signing class.

After Day 2: Richmond 236.5/ UMASS 159/ Fordham 156/ Mason 150/ LaSalle 145/ Duquesne 138.5...back to work in the morning.

Yep, a solid evening for the Spiders. Kobelja won the 200 IM and Yang took second in the 50 free, while the Spiders squeaked out another win in the 200 free relay to make it 3-for-3 in the relays so far.

UMass did dominate diving by taking 1st-4th and 8th, while Spiders got points in 6th, 11th, and 15th. Not bad considering some weakness there in recent years, but I know we were hoping for better. Still, UMass hasn't proven to be a significant threat in swimming so far, so hopefully we'll be able to pad the lead a bit more tomorrow with no diving event for the women.

UMass math for diving:

Minutewomen garnered 79 points in the 1 meter.

The 3 meter final is Saturday nite.

We lead UMass by 77.5 points.

Diving points for UMass are consistent with last years game plan.

This post was edited on 2/21 12:30 AM by 32counter

Results

Solid morning for the Spiders, who hold the top spot in three of five individual events heading into the evening finals.

We've been looking for our Outstanding Rookie candidate, and I think we may have found her in Maggie Pope...she had the fastest time in the 100 back this morning, so we'll see what happens tonight. No frosh did better than third in last night's events, and Bona and Fordham each of frosh in the second spot in different events this morning.

Even if Maggie wins the 100 back, she may still face tough competition for the rookie award, as she placed 39th in the 50 free yesterday and thus didn't score any points. She's seeded 15th in the 200 back for tomorrow, but we've already talked about how poorly the Spiders are seeded due to not having rested times for qualification. (Maggie was seeded 10th in this morning's 100 back prelims before moving to the top.)

Bona frosh Tanja Kirmse placed 3rd in the 500 free yesterday and is sitting 2nd after prelims of the 200 free. She's seeded 5th in the 200 fly tomorrow.

UMass frosh Meri Werenski placed 5th in the 200 IM yesterday and is in 4th after prelims of the 400 IM. She's seeded 4th in the 200 breast tomorrow.

Fordham frosh Megan Polaha placed 6th in the 200 IM yesterday and sits in 2nd after prelims of the 400 IM. She's seeded 2nd in the 200 fly tomorrow.

So if it's just based on total points, and of those three are likely to beat Maggie by scoring in all three of their events. But if winning an event carries some extra credit (and Maggie hasn't won it yet), she could still be in the running.

----------

Anyway, enough about rookies...UR's other two leaders heading into this evening are Kelley Yang in the 100 fly and Mali Kobelja in the 100 breast.

I mocked out scoring based on prelim results, and here's what I came up with for tonight's individual events:

UR 160
Fordham 133
Mason 106
UMass 99
Duquesne 94
URI 53
GW 49
Bona 43
La Salle 21
SLU 17

That does not include the 400 medley relay, where UR should score well. Spiders are seeded third, but with the top qualifier in 100 back, breast, and fly tonight, you have to imagine they're in good position for the relay.

And no women's diving tonight, so if we can open another 60 points of lead on UMass, we should be able to withstand they're diving charge on the final day. Things should still be very tight among UMass, Fordham, Mason, and Duquesne after tonight, but hopefully we'll be a good 100 points above the fray.

Spiders looking good after today's events with a lead of over 100 points on the rest of the field...Spiders at 434, Fordham at 318.5, then UMass and Mason neck and neck in the 280s.

Yang won the 100 fly, Kobelja won the 100 breast, and the 400 medley relay cruised to victory to make it 4-for-4 in relays. Pope slipped a bit in the 100 back and finished fifth. Natalya Ares had a nice swim in the 200 free after just squeaking into the championship in eighth place, finishing second tonight.

Another full slate of events tomorrow, but barring a catastrophe the Spiders should cruise to victory for the 12th time in 13 years since joining the A-10.

Re: A-10 Swimming Championships-Day 3 results

George Mason and Fordham are making a little bit of a run in the 200 Back this morning. Both are set up to pick up 30-45 points on our Spiders.

But I don't think anyone has enough firepower in the remaining events to catch the Spiders. We look to have some solid points in the 100 Fr, 200 Fly, 1650' and Diving and of course some big points in the 200 Br.

It will be interesting to see how the next three teams shake out. UMass will collect a lot of Diving points again and have solid numbers int the remaining events. But they will be pretty far down after the 200 Ba. GMU looks solid but not spectacular in the remaining events. Fordham gets nothing in diving and outside of being well positioned in the 200 Fly seedlings they will drop some in the other events.

The addition of GMU has made this a little more interesting. I hope they can push Richmond to continue to improve over the next few years.

It was a great meet. A lot of parental support. Sweeping all 5 relays made a huge statement. The championship was decided, yet the team was cheering madly for the last relay to win. If I knew how to post photos here, I would. Matt took some risks, and they paid off. I had no idea the margin of victory would be this large with GW and GMU coming into the league, especially after watching the GMU Invitational in November.....but those team rested and suited up, while UR didn't.

Fantastic accomplishment for our incredible Swimming team...the ladies made us proud (again)!!
smile.r191677.gif

Hopefully, someday, we'll invest in a first-rate aquatic center worthy of our Swimming & Diving team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT