ADVERTISEMENT

2022-2023 Season outlook

I think you misunderstood.
He is from VCU and trolling so is saying that after the first 3 games only 5 players would have played over 15 minutes total.
Because all our starters for the last 10 seasons have played all 40 minutes.
Or so they would say...

Yes I easily might have, always possible.

Just your response to him and then to dad75 indicates u were talking about averaging 15+ mins. Yet his response is about playing only 15 minutes total in first 3 games? I don't think so, not how I took it. Think he was just responding about how many guys would average 15+. Not sure why 15 minutes TOTAL would even be asked or answered.

Yes I easily might have, always possible.

Just your response to him and then to dad75 indicates u were talking about averaging 15+ mins. Yet his response is about playing only 15 minutes total in first 3 games? I don't think so, not how I took it. Think he was just responding about how many guys would average 15+. Not sure why 15 minutes TOTAL would even be asked or answered.
Yes, with discussing 5 players, and discussing 5 minutes it got confusing.
However, my post #1122 meant 15 minutes total after 3 games.
Because I considered playing 15 or more minutes out of 120, as still being considered for the future as a rotational player.

Well, we can just disagree. Depth to me means talent. If you have depth at QB, the #2 QB might be very talented but never see the field.

Seems like you are bringing up VCU like they are the norm. They are in the very minority playing 10+. Remember the final four last year? It is funny reading on here that Mooney only plays 7-8 guys, as if he is different from other coaches, when he is in line with 300+ other coaches.
VCU is not the norm. The norm is a rotation of probably 8 guys playing 10+ and maybe a ninth 9 guy avg. less than 10 - but some games might get more time. Dayton has been good lately - last year they played 8 guys - but each played 20 or more minutes and the 9th guy was getting less than 10 minutes. In their Obi Toppin year - they played 8 guys over 10 minutes a night, but also had guys 9-10 playing most nights at 9-10 minutes a night. (Another scary note about Dayton - they are all underclassmen!!!! 1 Junior, 7 RS Soph (COVID), 4 Soph, 4 Frosh)

Football is a different animal because the QB will play every possession. Did we have good depth at the PG the last 3-4 seasons? Who knows - we had Gilyard playing the 35 minutes or more a night.

At times - I have wished Mooney would go 9-10 deep as I think sometimes we lose sight of the future in needing to "find" minutes for guys who we know we will need at times this year, but also to aid in development for next year. But I can see that being difficult when his best teams are so junior/senior stacked - but that usually leads to a "rebuild" mode and not reload. But now with the transfer portal - that might change that.

VCU is not the norm. The norm is a rotation of probably 8 guys playing 10+ and maybe a ninth 9 guy avg. less than 10 - but some games might get more time. Dayton has been good lately - last year they played 8 guys - but each played 20 or more minutes and the 9th guy was getting less than 10 minutes. In their Obi Toppin year - they played 8 guys over 10 minutes a night, but also had guys 9-10 playing most nights at 9-10 minutes a night. (Another scary note about Dayton - they are all underclassmen!!!! 1 Junior, 7 RS Soph (COVID), 4 Soph, 4 Frosh)

Football is a different animal because the QB will play every possession. Did we have good depth at the PG the last 3-4 seasons? Who knows - we had Gilyard playing the 35 minutes or more a night.

At times - I have wished Mooney would go 9-10 deep as I think sometimes we lose sight of the future in needing to "find" minutes for guys who we know we will need at times this year, but also to aid in development for next year. But I can see that being difficult when his best teams are so junior/senior stacked - but that usually leads to a "rebuild" mode and not reload. But now with the transfer portal - that might change that.
I've never agreed with the need to play some this year to be better next year thinking. There are way too many examples of guys who did more than fine after a redshirt year, or after getting very few minutes the previous year, or just being a true freshman and playing well. If you can play, you can play. Nelson went against Jacob and learned from him everyday in practice last year. I dont think making sure he got a few minutes each game last year would have been that helpful to him, and it wouldn't have made sense to sit Jacob just to find time for him. Sure, getting some game experience is good and can maybe help some at times, but I don't think it matters that much, especially at the expense of playing more talented upperclassmen.

I want our best guys playing, and I hope every game we focus on and play the players who give us the best chance to win that game, and not worry about next year.

9 guys in 2013–14, though it comes with a caveat:

Lindsay 34.6
Anthony 31.2
Davis 29.3
Ododa 26.8
Allen 24.2
Taylor 22.1
Williams 20.6
Sparrow 18.7
SDJ 13.6

Lindsay appeared in 21 games (season-ending knee injury against VCU on 2/1), Williams in 22 ("left program" after 2/1 VCU game), SDJ in 30. All of the others played in all 33.

SDJ was averaging 7.1 mpg until Lindsay went out, and then averaged 25.1 mpg the rest of the way.
Yep, you can't look at season averages when discussing MPG because this does not factor in injuries, and guys who missed games. When adding up all of our guys that year, the minutes came out to just under 240 a game, so it would not be surprising to have 9 guys at 10+. Pretty much every game that year saw either 7 or 8 guys with 10+ minutes, not 9.

Last edited:
We actually did legit go 10 deep the year before that…

Lindsay 29.3
Brothers 29.2
Robbins 27.5
Williams 26.1
Anthony 23.5
Ododa 19.2
Sparrow 15.4
Taylor 14.5
Allen 13.3
Davis 12.6

8 of the 10 guys appeared in every game. Lindsay missed 2 games and Williams missed 9.

You are only looking at the final MPG totals for Dayton. Looking at individual games, you will see that they only played 8 guys total against us in the A-10 tourney, with only 7 of them getting more than 4 minutes. Their previous game against UMASS, they again only played 8 guys, with only 7 getting more than 2 minutes. They had similar numbers scattered through the year. Their 1st conference game, their top 3 guys off the bench played 22, 11, and 6 minutes. Against us late in the regular season, they only played 7 guys, with their 2 bench guys getting 22 and 10 minutes. The game before that, they played 8 guys, with the bench guys getting 28, 7, and 2 minutes. So, no, Dayton was not playing 8 guys 20 minutes a night last year, not even close.

I guess it depends on your definition.
If our 9th man has 170 minutes for the season, is that playing "7 or 8"?

If he has 110, I am more likely to say yes. If 300, I would say no.

Again, I guess "How many minutes does it take to be meaningful minutes?" is the other question.
URmite inspired me to see what the numbers say and if we are saying that the depth is based on the last player to average double digit minutes per game played (10 minimum) then the “norm” is 8 players. However between 2015-2019 the depth was down to 7 by that definition and I think that is why I felt like the team had lacked depth recently. The team minutes have returned to 8 the last 3 years and I think we may see 9 this year. In any case, I learned that it doesn’t take much (1-2 players)to get a very different team impression.

Easily? 9 is aggressive for 10+ min. There is always a first time but I don't think Mooney has ever done that. 8 sure. Really hard imo to find that many minutes for 9th guy unless you are a VCU style.
unless someone else isn't 100%, I'll be surprised if our top 9 doesn't average at or at least close to 10 mpg. last year our 8th and 9th averaged 8, so it's not far off. and I don't think our starting PG will average 38.5 this year.

I know it's not normal for us. I just can't see who of the 9 wouldn't get 10.

I agree we probably tighten it up at some point if someone isn't performing.

unless someone else isn't 100%, I'll be surprised if our top 9 doesn't average at or at least close to 10 mpg. last year our 8th and 9th averaged 8, so it's not far off. and I don't think our starting PG will average 38.5 this year.

We are pretty healthy to my knowledge. I can get with/see this...I def agree with the PG won't get 38+ min unless there is an injury. I will say two guys with the most minutes yesterday were one you absolutely suspect and the other... some have discounted ;) But it was just a scrimmage. 🕷️🏀

PG will not get 38 minutes this year, but in recent memory - when has the PG under Mooney played under 30-32 minutes a night. That seems to the one position he leans heavily on in terms of playing time and experience.

Gilyard's first year - he played 36 a night.
For the 2 years before that - ShawnDre played 36-34 a night.
For 2 years before ShawnDre - Kendall Anthony played 36 and 31 a night.

That takes you back about 9 years. ShawnDre and Kendall were lucky enough to be Juniors with good playing time as Frosh and Sophs before they played serious minutes like that, but we just don't have that luxury this year. And I think it would be quite a shift for this season for Mooney all of a sudden to split this time between Nelson, Bailey, maybe even Goose and Roche. That is why I think we see Nelson out there for 30+ minutes a night. He might make mistakes, but I think the idea will be to let him play through those mistakes for better play by the end of the year.

I agree about this year.
But as to last season, I look at 10 minutes a game differently.
Last season was 37 games, so I look at who was over or under 370 minutes, 555 minutes, 740 minutes, 925 minutes.

edit ... we had 8 getting 15 mpg.
and Gilly only left 1.5 mpg behind him at the point. if our 2nd PG plays over 10 mpg as I expect, we should have 9 guys.
I think the only way we don't is if Noyes, Randolph, Dread and/or Walz earn enough time to take away from #9.

😂 I wish I could say more but can't for obvious reasons. But those internet experts that said we will be last in backcourt play will have to eat some crow. Will there be growing pains yes but I'm excited by our guard play...one guy in particular especially;)
I don't know...
I think if all our players get the same minutes and stats at PG this season as last season then we will be last in PG...;)

😂 I wish I could say more but can't for obvious reasons. But those internet experts that said we will be last in backcourt play will have to eat some crow. Will there be growing pains yes but I'm excited by our guard play...one guy in particular especially;)

what did the backcourt do well in general?

56-55 without context feels like a slugfest w offenses struggling. Now I wouldn’t expect the O to be that efficient in scrimmage 1 either. Assuming we played a full 40 which I expect they did but they may have worked on some situational ball too idk. 56-55 if accurate score just sounds like both teams shot poorly and/or possibly high turnovers. But our D could have been the biggest positive. Just curious thx.

what did the backcourt do well in general?

56-55 without context feels like a slugfest w offenses struggling. Now I wouldn’t expect the O to be that efficient in scrimmage 1 either. Assuming we played a full 40 which I expect they did but they may have worked on some situational ball too idk. 56-55 if accurate score just sounds like both teams shot poorly and/or possibly high turnovers. But our D could have been the biggest positive. Just curious thx.
Control the game, very little TOs but it was just one scrimmage game. I’ve said too much 🤐

I am now expecting us to hold anyone not in the Top 20 offenses to 55 points or less in every game this season...

• Haha
Reactions: SpiderDad75
We are pretty healthy to my knowledge. I can get with/see this...I def agree with the PG won't get 38+ min unless there is an injury. I will say two guys with the most minutes yesterday were one you absolutely suspect and the other... some have discounted ;) But it was just a scrimmage. 🕷️🏀
Is someone making some Noyes???

Is someone making some Noyes???
I think he is talking about Dji. In an earlier post, he mentioned 10 guys and Noyes was not one of them: "Jason, Gus, TB, Matt, Neal, are the prob starters - Dji, Zay, Roche, Crab & some Marcus." No Noise from Noyes, SDad?

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Mooney and Burton press conference. Some talk about how hard scheduling has gotten, trying to moving on from the COVID-affected seasons, new guys stepping into starring roles, and more.

Great interviews.
It still does pain me to think about what this team could have accomplished if 2020 ncaa tournament would’ve happened. Thought Mooney did a nice job explaining that disappointment.

you are doing your son no favors....
Mods, can we at least give this guy a warning for his obsessive posts? I’d be in favor of a timeout to start the season.
We’ve all made it clear we’d like you to leave this situation alone and move on. If you’re not comfortable doing that, then stop coming to the board.
@urfan1 it is time.

my obsessive posts? How many times do we have to hear most of you drone on and one over the same subject........ A very good player is about to play his first meaningful minutes....doesn't need his a family member saying things like, "i've said too much".....

my obsessive posts? How many times do we have to hear most of you drone on and one over the same subject........ A very good player is about to play his first meaningful minutes....doesn't need his a family member saying things like, "i've said too much".....
Yes. Your obsessive posts, which are even creepier than your username. Move on. You’ve made your point at least 10 times. You’re creeping us out.

“You’ve said too much”. There, I fixed it for you 🫠

I would think you have some easy choices here. If SDad's posts bother you so much, you can ignore him, or just don't read his posts. If you think his posts bother everyone else, this still wouldn't really concern you because everyone else can make their own decisions about whether his posts bother them or not. SDad and I have been back and forth on a few things and don't always agree, but I enjoy a lot of his posts, and am glad he is on here. If you disagree, fine. But, the way the board reacts to SDad, I think you are the only one who feels the way you do. So, instead of saying "we", you really should be saying "I". So, maybe the one with the bad posts who should maybe consider not posting here is you, and not SDad?

I would think you have some easy choices here. If SDad's posts bother you so much, you can ignore him, or just don't read his posts. If you think his posts bother everyone else, this still wouldn't really concern you because everyone else can make their own decisions about whether his posts bother them or not. SDad and I have been back and forth on a few things and don't always agree, but I enjoy a lot of his posts, and am glad he is on here. If you disagree, fine. But, the way the board reacts to SDad, I think you are the only one who feels the way you do. So, instead of saying "we", you really should be saying "I". So, maybe the one with the bad posts who should maybe consider not posting here is you, and not SDad?
100% agree!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT