ADVERTISEMENT
Any further news on how long Mancuso will be out? This was the game report:

Richmond starting quarterback Joe Mancuso’s 29-yard gain on his team’s opening drive was costly. He was knocked down by Tech safety Tae Daley at the end of the play and suffered an injury to his right index finger on the play. He was immediately taken to the back by the team’s training staff and replaced by backup quarterback Beau English.

The Spiders drive went backwards after Mancuso’s exit and he was ruled out of for the rest of the game only a few minutes after they punted. He came back onto the field later in the half wearing a big bag of ice around his hand.

Finger has to be broken. They did x-rays on it, so obviously they know. If it wasn't broken, I can't believe he wouldn't have come back in.

Finger has to be broken. They did x-rays on it, so obviously they know. If it wasn't broken, I can't believe he wouldn't have come back in.
Huesman said on post game will know more on Monday...was only listening with one ear, but believe Huesman implied he'd be out for a while, but would return in weeks...

Go Spiders!

Was Jackson Walker a QB here before he was a receiver? I’m not sure I know the story.

Yes. He was recruited as a QB. I’m at a loss as to how English has been the backup.

Walker was pretty highly touted as a QB. Don't know if the staff just didn't like him there when he came in or if they thought it would take awhile for him to see the field there.

So I only casually follow Spider football but watched the game today. Thought the team did enough on D to stay in it. The clock management was pretty dreadful, but not sure it would’ve made much difference given the lack of passing game.

Does English have a particularly weak or inaccurate arm or does the OC just love the screen game?

So I only casually follow Spider football but watched the game today. Thought the team did enough on D to stay in it. The clock management was pretty dreadful, but not sure it would’ve made much difference given the lack of passing game.

Does English have a particularly weak or inaccurate arm or does the OC just love the screen game?
He is pretty accurate I believe. I do not know how strong arm is compared to Mancuso. A factor also could have been trying to keep FBS defensive line off him waiting for plays to develop. Our OL is good, but they are not going to keep FBS D-Lines at bay but so long, IMO.

Reactions: mojo-spider
If you saw RH on TV broadcast you might think differently - very demonstrative and went on and on. Yes the punter made a mistake but that is no way to teach him. What about the old adage : praise publicly and reprimand privately.
I thought it was all about accountability? Kid is told specifically to punt OOB and he sails it down the middle and they score a TD. Sounds as if he deserved the earful he got.

i haven’t seen English throw it longer than 10 yards downfield since he got here. Im assuming he can but it may not matter with our OC/QB coach calling plays.

Realistically, even among we fanatics, we did not expect to win this game. Nitpick all you want, but thought Spiders represented themselves extremely well.

Kudos to the O and D lines!!!. Played ACC team straight up on both sides.

Kudos to English. Not because he was flashy or throwing the deep ball, but because he did not expect to play, comes in in front of 10,000s of VT fans, and plays virtually the entire game without making a game changing error. Was conservative passing to say the least, his call or the coaches? Assume if he can't throw it deep, he wouldn't be a FCS QB.

Positive in a loss. Saw much today that gives promise to the season among our FCS rivals.

Tried to tell y’all UR would cover. Tech has no offense. Burmeister our QB I’m not sure would start for half the teams in the CAA.

I know nothing about Tech but it seemed to me that Burmeister is pretty talented. I was surprised they didn't throw more on us because I didn't think we had much of an answer there. I know he missed a couple throws early, but that Turner kid is special. I would have thrown his way all day. Instead, it seemed like their offensive plan played right into our strengths defensively, and they didn't try to exploit us more through the air.

Reactions: spiderhawk111
What a meltdown by Russ
Danny Rocco had a similar meltdown at Maryland years ago. He had told our punter specifically to kick to one side or the other, but not to Maryland's great punt returner. Punter kicked right to him twice - first one was a touchdown; second one was returned from his 25 to our 20. Danny screamed at him, "What am I not making clear here? What don't you understand?" It really shouldn't be that difficult for the punter at this level of ball.

Danny Rocco had a similar meltdown at Maryland years ago. He had told our punter specifically to kick to one side or the other, but not to Maryland's great punt returner. Punter kicked right to him twice - first one was a touchdown; second one was returned from his 25 to our 20. Danny screamed at him, "What am I not making clear here? What don't you understand?" It really shouldn't be that difficult for the punter at this level of ball.
One doesn't excuse the other. These young men are enabling these coaches to earn hundreds of thousands of dollars (if not millions) off the uncompensated labor of their toil (please spare me the scholarship argument). I'm not suggesting a player shouldn't be called out, but there is a time and a place. In front of tens of thousands of people live and countless more electronically is neither the time nor the place. You got to be better than that.

No matter how much I love the University of Richmond, my son, if good enough, would never play for RH.

One doesn't excuse the other. These young men are enabling these coaches to earn hundreds of thousands of dollars (if not millions) off the uncompensated labor of their toil (please spare me the scholarship argument). I'm not suggesting a player shouldn't be called out, but there is a time and a place. In front of tens of thousands of people live and countless more electronically is neither the time nor the place. You got to be better than that.

No matter how much I love the University of Richmond, my son, if good enough, would never play for RH.
This is football not the real world..these kids have been playing for a long time and know they will get called out if they eff up...I'm sure neither Saban nor Sweeney nor clawson -:) say pretty please with sugar on top, kick the ball out of bounds. When the kids don't execute I expect they get lit up like a Xmas tree....

This is football not the real world..these kids have been playing for a long time and know they will get called out if they eff up...I'm sure neither Saban nor Sweeney nor clawson -:) say pretty please with sugar on top, kick the ball out of bounds. When the kids don't execute I expect they get lit up like a Xmas tree....
There is no need for a 50 or 60 year old man, who lives off the sweat, broken bones, sprains, medical operations, and tears of the 20 year-olds in his charge to ever belittle them in front of hundreds of thousands of onlookers.

By the way, speaking as a former college athlete, this is their REAL WORLD.

Last edited:
Realistically, how long has the Aussie been playing this game?

There is no need for a 50 or 60 year old man, who lives off the sweat, broken bones, sprains, medical operations, and tears of the 20 year-olds in his charge to ever belittle them in front of hundreds of thousands of onlookers.

also not real world to ever use dabo and saban , and clawson, with russ as a coaching example

Much to do about nothing. Had a DI in Marine Corp that made Huesman look like a choir boy. I'm a better man for it.

Reactions: Spiders10
Much to do about nothing. Had a DI in Marine Corp that made Huesman look like a choir boy. I'm a better man for it.
If playing college football and the rigors of military service were somehow synonymous, you'd have a point. But, respectfully, they aren't, and you don't.

I think ur wrong, u think I am wrong...call the AD if ur that passionate about it and file a complaint against RH.

If playing college football and the rigors of military service were somehow synonymous, you'd have a point. But, respectfully, they aren't, and you don't.
Well, I did both and they're more similar than not so we'll just have to disagree on that. I don't see getting chewed out on the sidelines as a big deal in the grand scheme of life and you do. Okay. Your feelings hurt easy, mine don't. I'm anxious to see if our punter follows the game plan or not in future games or tucks his tail and quits.

Well, I did both and they're more similar than not so we'll just have to disagree on that. I don't see getting chewed out on the sidelines as a big deal in the grand scheme of life and you do. Okay. Your feelings hurt easy, mine don't. I'm anxious to see if our punter follows the game plan or not in future games or tucks his tail and quits.
A Military Mistake may result a lost lives...a mistake on the gridiron may cost you a football game. Yep, I see the similarity. My apologies.

What's more I can see how being called out in front of a platoon or squadron for a military blunder carries equal weight with being berated in front of hundreds of thousands of people for a football screw-up. How can I be so shallow!!!

Last edited:
A Military Mistake may result a lost lives...a mistake on the gridiron may cost you a football game. Yep, I see the similarity. My apologies.
Apology accepted though I don't think it is sincere. I can see from your response that you gave very little thought to the subject. The similarities that I can relate, just to name a few, are team work, discipline, respect, honor, commitment, hard work, uniformity, life long friendships. I hope you can get past whatever happened to you in life that made your skin so thin.

Reactions: bullfrog91
Russ has a dual role this season.Not only is he HC,he’s also the Coach of Special Teams,meaning he’s DIRECTLY responsible for the preparation and play of both Jake Larson and Aaron Trusler.
As an old music teacher would say,”watch the notes”.Aaron was responsible for 9 punts on Saturday ,7 of which got a high grade.Jake wasn’t perfect either.

Aaron didn't follow the notes and the teacher got pissed.It cost us 7 points.That’s a lot in an 11 point game.

Aaron never played on such a huge stage(55,000) and against such competition.No offense to Lehigh,Howard,Villanova.

The highlights will show Aaron hurried that one(1) particular punt.He had additional time and didn’t allow for downfield coverage especially given that it was a perfectly returnable punt(low line drive, end over end) in the center of the field.Something the teacher has publicly advised against repeatedly.And I mean repeatedly.

Last edited:
I know the trend is not to have coaches yell/scream like years n the past, but I am certain they have ways to get their "dissatisfaction" across loud and clear. Not sure the old way wasn't better in many ways. Had many coaches that used the yelling approach, didn't care much for at the time, but feel it made me a better person.

Reactions: whampas
Apology accepted though I don't think it is sincere. I can see from your response that you gave very little thought to the subject. The similarities that I can relate, just to name a few, are team work, discipline, respect, honor, commitment, hard work, uniformity, life long friendships. I hope you can get past whatever happened to you in life that made your skin so thin.
If I take time to opine, my words are sincere. I can tell by your response that you certainly got my point.

Don't forget that discipline includes 'self-discipline' (even from a coach)...respect resides on a two-way street (if you show another none, you're apt to receive none)....who are we to appraise one's personal commitment, or work ethic...uniformity has a place but often leads to stagnation....and life long friendships are personal choices.

Finally, as you know nothing about me, who are you to suggest that I am somehow flawed from my past? You my fine sir are awfully pompous for a fine military man.

Nonetheless.....

Thank You for your Service.

Russ has a dual role this season.Not only is he HC,he’s also the Coach of Special Teams,meaning he’s DIRECTLY responsible for the preparation and play of both Jake Larson and Aaron Trusler.
As an old music teacher would say,”watch the notes”.Aaron was responsible for 9 punts on Saturday ,7 of which got a high grade.Jake wasn’t perfect either.

Aaron didn't follow the notes and the teacher got pissed.It cost us 7 points.That’s a lot in an 11 point game.

Aaron never played on such a huge stage(55,000) and against such competition.No offense to Lehigh,Howard,Villanova.

The highlights will show Aaron hurried that one(1) particular punt.He had additional time and didn’t allow for downfield coverage especially given that it was a perfectly returnable punt(low line drive, end over end) in the center of the field.Something the teacher has publicly advised against repeatedly.And I mean repeatedly.

Truly, I wasn't in Philly last week for the Villanova game, but maybe you can tell me. Did our Special Teams Coach get in the face of Chance Graves last week when he got a 15 yard penalty at the end of a Trusler punt for Unsportsmanlike Conduct late in the game? Just wondering.

Truly, I wasn't in Philly last week for the Villanova game, but maybe you can tell me. Did our Special Teams Coach get in the face of Chance Graves last week when he got a 15 yard penalty at the end of a Trusler punt for Unsportsmanlike Conduct late in the game? Just wondering.
Yes.Unequivocally.

Anything else?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT