ADVERTISEMENT

'18-'19 positive outlook

gospidersgo

Team Manager
Dec 21, 2015
Disclaimer: This is a pretty positive stream of thoughts I'm putting out here (and lengthy). This is not about Mooney in any way, except for the extent to which playing time is divided up. Please keep it to early thoughts on next year's team if possible. I apologize in advance if this post is a little disjointed/run-on.

To put it mildly the past week has been really disheartening for a Spider fan. The news about Blake Francis today helps - but not until next year. I fully understand the frustration and I'm on board with a lot of the thoughts of the current "negative side" of the board - I just don't put much of it out there publicly.

I was trying to think of what it would take for us to have a good year next year. I'm defining good as NIT berth minimum, top 4 A10, and at least NCAA bubble discussion. Since it's all I have to go on right now, I'm assuming for this post that Sal will be our only newcomer of serious consequence for next year (last 2 spots go to grad transfers or under-recruited guys who barely play, if we land someone better, great).

I think next year CAN be a very good year. A lot has to go right to make the jump from 12-20 to +/- 20-12 or better. The following are some of my thoughts and projections about what our team will look like and how this turnaround might/can happen.

Starters (minutes): Gilyard (36), Buck (33), Nick (32), Cayo (23), Grant (31)

- The loss of Khwan stings. Our most experienced player, good enough handle to bring the ball up the court with some regularity, proven and consistent double digit scorer, probably our best defender, quiet leader, and on and on.

But here's the positive. Scoring was not really the big issue last year. We knew how to put the ball in the basket. Our 4 returning starters are all double digit scoring guys capable of 20+ any night. Some of our negative offensive traits as a whole were 3 point and free throw shooting, though. In losing Khwan we actually lose the starter that was maybe weakest in these 2 areas combined (maybe Grant, but he does so much more offensively).

Cayo is likely not an improvement in 3 point and free throw shooting. But he has size and has shown to be a strong defender. That's exactly what we need - plus he is 7 or 8 inches taller than Khwan. Cayo stepping into the lineup immediately puts Buck and Nick at the 2/3 instead of 3/4. To me there is no arguing the fact that they are more naturally suited to these positions.

I truly believe the other 4 starters are the best (or at least close) top 4 players of any A10 team next year. Especially offensively, this is a dynamic, experienced, well rounded group of 4 starters. If Cayo can take the increased workload, protect Grant defensively and chip in 6 or 8 points per game I think our starters are definitely a top tier A10 starting 5.

One of my biggest keys to this year's success or lack thereof is Buck's attitude. If he "sleepwalks" at all this year we will stink. I don't think he will. If he comes out on fire, with a chip on his shoulder, something to prove, I believe the team will feed off of it and he can lead us to big things.

Bench (45 minutes remaining): Julius (21), Sal (12) --- to me this is our clear top 7. Remaining 12 minutes split between last year's redshirts and/or spring signees.

Size coming in off the bench will be greatly improved this year. JJ (6' 3"), Sal (6' 8") and whoever emerges of the 3 redshirts from last year should provide solid backup minutes at the 3 thru 5.

For Sal, I'm envisioning a role similar to what Cayo provided last year. Long, athletic, solid defensively for a team in need of exactly that. Starting the year with 5 or 6 minutes most games, increasing to 15 or so by the end of the year.

Hopefully we can pick up a grad transfer or freshman that can play the 1/2 for a handful of minutes a game to give us a reliable ball handler when Jake and/or Buck sits. We don't need a ton of help at guard, but we need something.

For JJ what I really hope is for him to have the kind of senior season Greg Robbins had for us a while back. Become that glue guy that does all the small things well, does whatever is needed that particular night. We have seen flashes of it but I'm hoping he can be more consistent.

In a strange way I think JJ is actually a big key to next year being either this year version 2.0 or a very good season. I don't think we need him to come in and score a ton or be great at anything. But he HAS to be a tough defender, a threat from 3, and provide reliable minutes for Buck, Nick and maybe Nathan.

Scoring projection:

- Grant - 16
- Cayo - 6
- Nick - 17
- Buck - 14
- Jacob - 13
- Julius - 6
- Sal - 2
- others - 2

Overall:

I think our offense will continue to be potent. Even without Khwan we have a ton of scoring options all over the court.

Defensively I'm hopeful that the increase in Nathan's minutes, the arrival of Sal, another year playing together, and a commitment from the guys to be a part of something great will help our defense just enough to keep those 80 point games closer 75 and allow us to be in more games. I'm looking for something like 22-10 and an outside shot at an at large.

There is a ton to be down about right now, no doubt. But I am hopeful that next season can bring us back to where we need to be.

Are you “positive” about all of that? :) just kidding, all sounds good to me.

Do you have a reason to believe Sal will be a + defender? From the limited video I’ve seen I’m not sure how quick he is or how well he moves, and he’s very thin. I think he’ll be better offensively than Cayo was this year, and I think he’s a good recruit, but I’m not sure he’ll be a good defender right away.

I don't have any special info that says Sal is a great defender. Just stated above that if he can be "solid" defensively we will be greatly improved if for no other reason than 1) our minutes at the 4 will largely be from guys that are 6'7" to 6'9" instead of 6'4" and 2) we can't be much worse defensively than we were last year (hopefully).

Without Kwan, we did limit our ability to attack the lane off the dribble. The old
expression: "you cannot teach speed", will be evident with Kwan's absence. Also
Kwan was fearless and was so calm, that mistakes never seemed to phase him.

If Blake was replacing him now, no worries, but without his ball handling and
quickness, teams will be pressing us more. We need to have another guard with
good ball handling skills. I feel we will miss Kwan a lot more than we think.

Reactions: 9Legs and SpiderVol
it was a luxury having two quick PG ball handlers like Gilyard and Fore last year against any press, but I don't think we'll have trouble. if we see a zone press (rare) we'll pass through it. and nobody can handle Gilyard in a man press.

I think a bigger effect might be the wear and tear on Gilyard. many times he could just give the ball off to Khwan and jog up the floor if there was a defender up to make him work. he'll likely be forced to handle more now. he's in amazing condition but it can still be draining. he might need a few extra minutes of rest, which is why we need another ball handler.

No mention of the "rise of the Phoenix". I think Ford will contribute meaningful minutes.

I agree that if all those things go well next year, we will be a tough team to beat. I am hoping that happens. We are woefully unprepared in the event Gilyard gets hurt, though. I know you can't plan for a season-ending injury, of course, but we literally would be starting Oddo and playing him 30 minutes a game at this point if something happened to Gilyard. So we must address that however we can. This year, I think that's the grad transfer option we need to find.

We have a bunch of height on our roster already. Who knows if most of it is any good, but at least we have it. We do not have a point guard aside from Jake. Maybe there's a grad transfer from a lower caliber league who would be happy to come here and play 15 minutes a game.

I will say this -- my positive outlook for next year is that we do have some talented guys who collectively underperformed this year (I think they would all agree on that, so I hope this is not considered a personal attack!). Sometimes things happen more slowly than one would expect, and I do think back to the "Fantastic 4" of the freshman class of '94-'95. There were flashes of greatness throughout -- we really did play up to the big games with that group (I remember driving down to the Dean Dome and we really gave Jeff McInnis, Serge Zwikker, Antawn Jamison, and Vince Carter a run), and somewhere I still have a picture of Jarod Stevenson dunking over Tim Duncan.

The point is, those teams really did play below their talent level, but they did keep getting better. By the time they were seniors, they were pretty fantastic.

I'd been hoping for a "faster" track, but sometimes that's what you get. So, I will put myself in the positive camp as far as our players go.

Reactions: Eight Legger
KWeaver,

Do you remember what it took to get the best out here f that group?

Let me remind everyone . . . a coaching change.

That was the team that underachieved for 3 years under Dooley and the. Hit their stride under a first year but great coach John Beilein.

Reactions: Eight Legger
KWeaver,

Do you remember what it took to get the best out here f that group?

Let me remind everyone . . . a coaching change.

That was the team that underachieved for 3 years under Dooley and the. Hit their stride under a first year but great coach John Beilein.

I was trying to avoid saying that, but I know very well what it took.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT