ADVERTISEMENT

We tout academic excellence but PR/Marketing group doesn’t know how to spell or take decent pics-Yikes

Hoops does a much better job. Even the women’s program using a backdrop looks way better. At least there isn’t sponsor crap all over it.

Reactions: 32counter
“That’s on the recruiting coordinator for football. Nothing to do with PR when it comes to recruiting visits.”

Agreed.

He’s completely over his head with imagery creation.Embarrassing and amateurish.

Use Assistant Director of Marketing/Creative Services-Halle Kennon

She’s a pro and likely not overworked

So you’re saying that Elon has those resources? I get it, we’re not Auburn or Alabama, but Elon & JMU shouldn’t be outclassing us. Alas it just seems that this is another attention to detail issue. No one in the Robins Center seems to care about operating with excellence or being the best. Instead we just are happy if we “compete”

“Alas it just seems that this is another attention to detail issue.”

Bingo.

Especially if you delegate and don’t have a way(or desire) to check on someone’s work.

Reactions: DTSpider
Was just poking around the athletics site, and wow, it's incredible how bad we are at this.

Prominent "Tickets" menu on the front page of the athletics site...let's see what's in there! Click on "Football" and then "Season Tickets" and I get this:

Lots of info on a fall 2020 season that never happened!

Okay, maybe basketball is better. Back to the Tickets menu and let's click on Men's Basketball. Clicking on "Season Tickets" takes me to a smiling Nick Sherod telling me to place my deposit for the 2020-21 season, on a page with 2018-19 in the title:

There's also a "Promotions" section...let's check that out! Oh, it's for 2019-20.

🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Zeeter
Was just poking around the athletics site, and wow, it's incredible how bad we are at this.

Prominent "Tickets" menu on the front page of the athletics site...let's see what's in there! Click on "Football" and then "Season Tickets" and I get this:

Lots of info on a fall 2020 season that never happened!

Okay, maybe basketball is better. Back to the Tickets menu and let's click on Men's Basketball. Clicking on "Season Tickets" takes me to a smiling Nick Sherod telling me to place my deposit for the 2020-21 season, on a page with 2018-19 in the title:

There's also a "Promotions" section...let's check that out! Oh, it's for 2019-20.

🤷‍♂️
“Was just poking around the athletics site, and wow, it's incredible how bad we are at this.”

agree 100%

The admin people inside RC should all be fired.No accountability.Starts from the top down. No commercial wherewithal anywhere.No desire to be.The VCU guy makes our AD look like a dinosaur.

Maybe the soon to be UR Prez-Cornell Econ guy will see all this nonsense and clean the ship.Here’s the new WM AD.Day and night.

Last edited:
Reactions: DTSpider
I hate to pile on but...

In the Hinds-Clarke announcement I noticed the phrase "...find their since of belonging through programs and services she will lead." My sense is that the homophone for "since" would have been the word to use.

Hey - are writers really competed with there stories!!!

(Side note - it’s not easy to use that much improper grammar in one sentence!)

there is just zero pride in the work of the athletic department. Try “not your worst” seems to be the motto. Zero thought of excellence. But at least we’re consistent.

2 thoughts on this:

1 - there may be an evil genius at work. All these volunteer editors are donating their services. So…increased donations!!!

2 - I saw we put something out that we’re going to help our student athletes with their brand marketing to maximize NIL - which is great in theory. But I hope we help them more than we help ourselves. I think this is going to be a real value chain type of thing. The schools that do this well are, in my opinion rightfully, going to be more successful in recruiting and likely more successful on the field.

2 thoughts on this:

1 - there may be an evil genius at work. All these volunteer editors are donating their services. So…increased donations!!!

2 - I saw we put something out that we’re going to help our student athletes with their brand marketing to maximize NIL - which is great in theory. But I hope we help them more than we help ourselves. I think this is going to be a real value chain type of thing. The schools that do this well are, in my opinion rightfully, going to be more successful in recruiting and likely more successful on the field.

“- I saw we put something out that we’re going to help our student athletes with their brand marketing to maximize NIL - which is great in theory. But I hope we help them more than we help ourselves. I think this is going to be a real value chain type of thing. The schools that do this well are, in my opinion rightfully, going to be more successful in recruiting and likely more successful on the field.”

Great point.We have no entrepreneurs working within the RC.A ton of desk sitters.
Local alums that own their business will likely play the most active role in utilizing
the NIL of UR student athletes.

Last edited:
Local alumni really do need to play a big role in this. We all know VCU is going to get all the deals with the most marketable companies around town. All the auto dealerships, clubs, restaurants/bars downtown, and social media exposure will go to vcu. We are gonna have to take what’s left of that. This NIL thing is going to hurt schools like UR in the long run unless they go out and fight really hard to keep up with everyone else, which I’m not sure they will given recent history. NIL is the right thing to do overall but there are a lot of schools who it will absolutely kill athletically.

Spelled Baker's name wrong in the headline.

Spelled Baker's name wrong in the headline.

Maybe he sold his NIL to Baker's Crust in Carytown.

The bureaucrats inside RC,who by the way are on vacation,should listen and take real world notes on NIL.We appear to be really expert in telling a student athlete what they can’t do under NIL.There is NO entrepreneurial wherewithal inside the RC admin.The UR student athletes are on their own to fend for themselves in the NIL space.

Last edited:
There is NO entrepreneurial wherewithal inside the RC admin.
I would love to see this change. How do we bring that about?

It's been my experience that those with an ownership mindset tend not to be a good fit working under a simple, "meat and potatoes" regime.

Some of the schools with big money alums, like Miami, LSU, Michigan, etc. etc. are probably looking
to legally put money in the kids hands. They won’t have to do it behind the NCAA’s back. Which we’ve all
seen Brent Gumbel do documentaries on the absurdity of the NCAA.
But my guess is that you’re going to see a Golden deal from Luck Chevrolet. Or a “snatch and run “ deal
from a fast food restaurant that has Gilchrist on the screen.
What they’ll make falls to Econ 101.

Boosters that were only allowed to give money to schools will be redistributing some of those monies directly to “student”athletes.Let’s see what the big apparel and sneaker companies do with their monies which previously had been earmarked to their
marketing agents such as college coaches,universities and AAU coaches-none of which need to be in the loop.Coach K and John Thompson and their schools made a ton of dough over the years as Nike directors.They were paid handsomely with salaries and stock from Nike.A classic redistribution of wealth will occur.
Athletic Fund raising at certain universities could also take a hit.Alums and boosters will put the money directly in the hands of the kids that provide double/doubles or triple/doubles or who throw for 400 yds or who rush for over 150 yards rather than in the hands of the John Hardt’s of the sportsworld.

Last edited:
Athletic Fund raising at certain universities could also take a hit.Alums and boosters will put the money directly in the hands of the kids that provide double/doubles or triple/doubles or who throw for 400 yds or who rush for over 150 yards
Either that, or boosters will begin to wonder why they should donate to Athletics program when the Student Athletes have the ability to make enough money to make their own contributions to the program.

“Was just poking around the athletics site, and wow, it's incredible how bad we are at this.”

agree 100%

The admin people inside RC should all be fired.No accountability.Starts from the top down. No commercial wherewithal anywhere.No desire to be.The VCU guy makes our AD look like a dinosaur.

Maybe the soon to be UR Prez-Cornell Econ guy will see all this nonsense and clean the ship.Here’s the new WM AD.Day and night.

Mann definitely has an impressive energy about him. Looks like a nice hire by the Tribe.

Conversely, our regatta seems to need some wind in its sails. Low energy.

Last edited:
Reactions: GKiller
Latest one - big story on the website about the Spiders Kids Club memberships available - https://richmondspiders.com/news/20...-kids-club-memberships-are-available-now.aspx

Cool, my kids love that and it always comes with free tickets. When you actually click that link and get to the page to register - you get "No Events/Items Available".

Just a well-oiled machine over there.
The purchase link works now. I was glad to see they rebranded away from "Spiderlings" - but...wait for it...
To register for the Spiderlings Kids Club

Have any of our 350 student athletes or coaches heard anything from this outfit since the NIL July 1 ruling? I don’t think think so.

Out to lunch much?

This NIL ruling just happened, and we have contracted a person with Darlow’s credentials, why do you think nothing has happened and in the works?

This NIL ruling just happened, and we have contracted a person with Darlow’s credentials, why do you think nothing has happened and in the works?
It seems that a Darlow like program could be developed into a For Credit course in the School of Business??? But why do that when the Athletic Department can spend $250k a year to engage another consultant?

It seems that a Darlow like program could be developed into a For Credit course in the School of Business???
The NIL will create an entirely new business sector with great opportunities for student-non athlete undergraduates.Agreed there should be an NIL
business major at Robins biz school which could include business contract law.It will be a new field of endeavor with a huge upside trajectory.

Last edited:
It seems that a Darlow like program could be developed into a For Credit course in the School of Business??? But why do that when the Athletic Department can spend $250k a year to engage another consultant?
I’m not sure that I would want some young, inexperienced kid to be doing my PR when it comes down to real money.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT